Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dealer dropped my C5 off lift -- need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob said:
I would like to ask that before you do that, you double check with your attorney and make sure that legally, the dealership cannot hold you, or the Corvette Action Center responsible even though Dave's name is on that piece of paper only.

I don't know what the legalities are, but I do NOT want to get pulled into court for any reason.
As long as it's true , they cannot sue for libel , slander or anything like it.

vettepilot said:
Maybe we can get those two Myth Busters guys on TV to attempt recreating the event....just to see if it can really happen that way ;) :L :L

vettepilot
:upthumbs Great idea...but lets drop something like a Rustang or a piece of Euro-trash.;) I would love to see what an Audi TT would look like after the fall:( or maybe even a Beamer.;LOL

SPANISHVETTS said:
:upthumbs Great idea...but lets drop something like a Rustang or a piece of Euro-trash.;) I would love to see what an Audi TT would look like after the fall:( or maybe even a Beamer.;LOL
Not MY Beamer!! :nono

SPANISHVETTS said:
How about a Camaro? They seem to like using them for stunt cars on Fear Factor!:L:L:L

Edmond said:
How about a Camaro? They seem to like using them for stunt cars on Fear Factor!:L:L:L
I vote for Mustang and a Camaro as running mate. Anybody got any spare electronic voting machines around?
;LOL

I've been away from Corvettes for a few years. I'm currently shopping for a C5. I've previously had two C4s, but as they say, the bug never leaves you.

I recently made my way back to this board and came across this thread today. I've spent the last 4 hours reading every post to see the conclusion.

Glad you made out with an amicable resolution in the end, albeit a lengthy journey.

I'm looking forward to gettin' back into the groove of things here. :D

Gixster said:
I've been away from Corvettes for a few years. I'm currently shopping for a C5. I've previously had two C4s, but as they say, the bug never leaves you.

I recently made my way back to this board and came across this thread today. I've spent the last 4 hours reading every post to see the conclusion.

Glad you made out with an amicable resolution in the end, albeit a lengthy journey.

I'm looking forward to gettin' back into the groove of things here. :D
Thanks, Gixster! Welcome back to Corvette land! Hope you find #3 soon!
Glad to have you aboard.:D

Falling Off Lift

I too just spent the morning reading this story. I was disapointed that we did not get the final outcome, :mad but understand. :D

Hope it did not cost you much more to get into the new beauty.

Doug Do

Doug Do said:
I too just spent the morning reading this story. I was disapointed that we did not get the final outcome, :mad but understand. :D

Hope it did not cost you much more to get into the new beauty.

Doug Do
Doug --In my mind, it wasn't what I would have expected the dealership to do if they were into doing the right thing, but it's enough that I can live with it. It's also not enough that I could ever, in good conscious, endorse them for doing business with.

After reading the progress of your link and its urban legend status being verified now, I would like to tell you of a similar experience that I almost had.

Last year, I took my 1982 Vette in for inspection and when I went to pick it up, there was a Dodge Caravan firmly lodged at a 20 degree angle in the service lift. My mechanic told me that the cable had snapped on one side while it was 6 Ft. off the ground. The swing arms pivoted rearward and the minivan slid off one side of the lift and dropped to the floor.
He was under the minivan when it started to drop and jumped out of the way before it came down on him. He was also really shaken by the experience, and said it was the first time in 20 years that anything like that had happened.
He was just getting off the phone with the owner when I walked in, asking him to come over and get their personal posessions out of it before it was towed. The insurance adjuster had already been there and declared it totalled.

I really felt bad for him, since I have known him for so long and know that he was sincerely upset about the accident.
Then he put it in perspective.
"Your Vette was on that lift just 5 minutes before I put the Caravan on."
We dodged a bullet that day.
I'm not sure safety inspections once a year are justifiable considering what can ( and obviously does) happen.

As Bob Dylan sings...
They'll stone you when you're driving in your car.
So you don't feel so alone,
Everybody must get stoned!

wishuwerehere82 said:
After reading the progress of your link and its urban legend status being verified now, I would like to tell you of a similar experience that I almost had.

Last year, I took my 1982 Vette in for inspection and when I went to pick it up, there was a Dodge Caravan firmly lodged at a 20 degree angle in the service lift. My mechanic told me that the cable had snapped on one side while it was 6 Ft. off the ground. The swing arms pivoted rearward and the minivan slid off one side of the lift and dropped to the floor.
He was under the minivan when it started to drop and jumped out of the way before it came down on him. He was also really shaken by the experience, and said it was the first time in 20 years that anything like that had happened.
He was just getting off the phone with the owner when I walked in, asking him to come over and get their personal posessions out of it before it was towed. The insurance adjuster had already been there and declared it totalled.

I really felt bad for him, since I have known him for so long and know that he was sincerely upset about the accident.
Then he put it in perspective.
"Your Vette was on that lift just 5 minutes before I put the Caravan on."
We dodged a bullet that day.
I'm not sure safety inspections once a year are justifiable considering what can ( and obviously does) happen.

As Bob Dylan sings...
They'll stone you when you're driving in your car.
So you don't feel so alone,
Everybody must get stoned!
Thanks, for the Dylan quote, Pete! I remember that song.

When an inspection doesn't occur, it seems strange to me to speak of "accident." Of course, the most telling thing to me are the reports that the people who are personally involved are now dismissing this as an "urban legend" and are denying that anything ever happened. This speaks to integrity.

TheBlueVette said:
Thanks, for the Dylan quote, Pete! I remember that song.

When an inspection doesn't occur, it seems strange to me to speak of "accident." Of course, the most telling thing to me are the reports that the people who are personally involved are now dismissing this as an "urban legend" and are denying that anything ever happened. This speaks to integrity.

Yep, it's all about not being responsible. They know that it would be very bad for business so they lie about it. :(

Urban Legend

Hey man, you're famous!

Honestly, I heard this story awhile ago and just read your story, glad it came out okay.

By the way, that is a great replacement you got yourself...just like mine.

AEmedic said:
Hey man, you're famous!

Honestly, I heard this story awhile ago and just read your story, glad it came out okay.

By the way, that is a great replacement you got yourself...just like mine.

Thanks! My husband is happy with his new Corvette!

MsBlueVette

reefdiver said:
The dealership dropped the ball on this one.Sorry...no pun intended. I think the first thing I would do is contact a good attorney. How are they going to make it "good as new" when it fell 6 feet? I'm no expert, but I dont think the car will ever be right again. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. :([/QUOTE]"good as new";LOLreefdiver is right - contact an attorney!!!

Joe and everyone,
This situation long ago got resolved, and this thread has long ago served it's useful purpose of getting the story out. It's time to let this thread go...

-Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom