Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Did A Search On Radio's ..But What Do You Have??

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
I'm thinking about going with a new updated radio. I have seen the Kenwood type that Corvette Central has. And another one sold by MidAmerica Motor Works. But since Cassette's are kinda hard to find..why bother puting old tech in the car. I could play my old cassette's but that would get old after a while.

Both are in dash am-fm Cassette types. They look ok. I don't want to go the under seat type mount and deal with a remote control while I'm slamming gears. A remote is just something else to lose in the car.

Has anyone seen a single CD in dash mount MidYear AM FM Radio? That would be sweet.
I did search around a little on the web but haven't found anything yet. I guess I'll keep looking.

[highlight]
What do you have...how about a pic??
[/highlight]

Mark, you ain't gonna find one that fits in a midyear in the dash so don't waste anymore time alookin'. A CD headunit won't fit without cutting the dash.

You have a number of other options though.
mount a single in-dash headunit in your glove box but with without using the remote it will be a bad idea.
You could search for a unit designed for for the midyears thats a standard am/fm and without or without a cass. but ALSO has an AUX input and you could plug in an iPod. Just run a line from the back of the radio to the consol or seat area to plug the iPod into easily.
If you want to keep a stock dash appearance and you have your stock radio some of the radio repair places can add an audio input to it to allow you to plug in an iPod or other external source.
You could also go with a multi CD unit mounted under the seats or in the back and controled either by a controller in-dash radio (which will be am/fm/cass) or without the indash radio but using a wired controller instead just for the CD player and you could place it where you wished on the consol, beside the seat, etc.

you could make it very easy and just go with an iPod and the iTrip wireless FM transmitter that sends the signal to your indash FM radio but this really isn't the best solution for an upgraded sound. I'm currently "stuck" using this method myself but that's because I haven't gotten to the audio stage of the improvements on my car. Too many other more important things have priority first - not to mentioned I can't here sh*t with my sidepipes roaring once i'm rolling anyway. ;LOL

Another option

Bro check this site they claim they make radio that fits in the dash and will control a CD I can calol them if you like or you can talk to them

Bro

I did it

VNV,

I had the same thoughts regarding the tape thing when I built this car, but I ended up purchasing the Kenwood unit from C-Central, along with the remote mounted, 6-CD changer. The car is a roadster, so I ran a bunch of wires to the rear, and mounted the unit, to some home made brackets, at the rear under the lid in back of the deck lid. For all intents and purposes, it's virtually invisible , except when the deck lid is wide open.

Quite satisfied with the workings, except for the time it take once the radio is turned on, until the CD is up and running ( 15 to 30 seconds ). Once you get use to it, you can live with it.

Bob

VNV,

I had one of the aftermarket Kenwood radio/cassette players in my car along with a Kenwood CD changer, but took it out when restoring my interior.

I still have it. If you have the old original radio around, I would be interested in trading it for yours, straight up.

Doug

vnv bro said:
Hey Bro

Check this site have several radios that might fit from "car toys" web site

Looks like they have a kit

http://cartoys.com/cartoys/webpage.cfm?&DID=7&WebPage_ID=18&Action=mycars

I used the above link to get to the radios They are radios for a 67 coupe they did not list a 65

The next link are the radios

http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showprod.cfm?radio_height=DIN&pagetitle=Components%20for%20a%20CHEVROLET%20CORVETTE

Your Brother (and nothing you can do about it)

Well Older Bro...They all look like left to right mounts. The 67 should be the same as 63- 66 up and down.. So I think something is wrong there.

:confused

Heh Barry,

I hear yah.. I have and Ipod Gen #3 that I could plug into one of those after market aux input radios. I did read some reviews on the Ipod Transmitter and most people say it sounds like doggie doo.. Also staticy and it dropped out. The best way to go here is to direct input it into the radio.

I'll think on this some more before I buy anything.

Thanks..:beer

vnv bro said:
Bro check this site they claim they make radio that fits in the dash and will control a CD I can calol them if you like or you can talk to them

Bro

Nah...sit back and smoke some crack and relax....:L I have a few weeks before I have to decide what to do. Let's see what the experts here on the forum come up with..:beer

stepinwolf said:
VNV,

I had the same thoughts regarding the tape thing when I built this car, but I ended up purchasing the Kenwood unit from C-Central, along with the remote mounted, 6-CD changer. The car is a roadster, so I ran a bunch of wires to the rear, and mounted the unit, to some home made brackets, at the rear under the lid in back of the deck lid. For all intents and purposes, it's virtually invisible , except when the deck lid is wide open.

Quite satisfied with the workings, except for the time it take once the radio is turned on, until the CD is up and running ( 15 to 30 seconds ). Once you get use to it, you can live with it.

Bob

Cool Bob,
That's the ticket. But I was thinking a single CD unit. But Like Barry says...Ain't gonna find one to go in that hole..!!

I'd rather use my Ipod with a direct input with a Cassette radio..:beer

tigernut said:
VNV,

I had one of the aftermarket Kenwood radio/cassette players in my car along with a Kenwood CD changer, but took it out when restoring my interior.

I still have it. If you have the old original radio around, I would be interested in trading it for yours, straight up.

Doug

Thanks Doug,
My radio is working but needs service and a good cleaning. So..it's not up to spec. I was gonna ebay it ..but now i'm not sure. I could have it mod-ed with an RCA input to work with the Ipod. I might go that route... but I'll think on it a while. But Thanks for the offer..:beer

Mark on my 66 I have the secret audio unit.

It is controlled by a remote control. The original radio is still in place. the head unit mounts behind my glove box and the 6 disk cd changer is mounted in the passenger side storage area. It also has a small display contoller that is mounted in the glove box. I was able to install this entire set up in my car with NO addtional holes except for where its mounted to the glovebox liner.

I used a piece of plywood to mount the CD player to shaped the same as the rear storage compartment and then put a small nut and bolt thru the drain hole in the storage compartment to hold it in place.

All thought the secrect audio unit does not excactly give concert quaility sounds.It works quite well for what it is.

Good Luck

You could always do what I did:

- Forget the radio and install a loud exhaust (chambered or otherwise) and enjoy the "real" music.

:_rock

Doug

IPOD with FM Tuner, use your FM Radio and stock speakers, no cutting, no install, just connect, plug into lighter for power, put in glove box and enjoy YOUR TUNES....

EBVette said:
IPOD with FM Tuner, use your FM Radio and stock speakers, no cutting, no install, just connect, plug into lighter for power, put in glove box and enjoy YOUR TUNES....

Collin,

This seems like a practical solution until you consider that midyear radios were all AM/FM monaural with only a single speaker in the center of the upper dash. I doubt that the music would sound acceptable to most ears these days. ;shrug

67HEAVEN said:
Collin,

This seems like a practical solution until you consider that midyear radios were all AM/FM monaural with only a single speaker in the center of the upper dash. I doubt that the music would sound acceptable to most ears these days. ;shrug

Speaking of radios! Bob, with your car you won't hear the radio at all but the best laugh you get is neither can any of the cars around you, even with their expensive sound systems;LOL . They better get used to your station and set their dials to the '67 sounds at 5000RPM:lou:D

Z28Canuck said:
Speaking of radios! Bob, with your car you won't hear the radio at all but the best laugh you get is neither can any of the cars around you, even with their expensive sound systems;LOL . They better get used to your station and set their dials to the '67 sounds at 5000RPM:lou:D

;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

Again, being Yankee born, I try to be thrifty, after all let's really face it, any radio in a midyear won't sound the best...but you can get better speaker that emulates stero for your midyear... I am removing the AM/FM and putting back the AM...now do you really think I care about listening to a radio when driving...heck...I still will us my IPOD with earphone if I really want tunes...:D

I have a custom autosound (ca) cassette unit. It has a cd button and rca jacks in the back to connect the cd deck. I put 4 Sony X speakers in the Recaro seat headrests and 2 Rockford Fosgate coax speakers in the kick panels (using ca plastic panels. The speaker grille in the top of the dash has been replaced with a reverb/booster and a place to park sunglasses. Next fall I am planing to replace the reverb with a CD deck, since it will fit in the speaker opening in place of the reverb, and it will connect to the ca stereo.

You can see the interior on the Details page, liked off my homepage (listed below).

PS: If I have to replace the expensive ca unit, I will look for one that can seach for stations in both directions (ca cannot) and still accept original Corvette knobs (ca can). Get the max power you can buy if you have a convertible.

IH2LOSE said:
Mark on my 66 I have the secret audio unit.

It is controlled by a remote control. The original radio is still in place. the head unit mounts behind my glove box and the 6 disk cd changer is mounted in the passenger side storage area. It also has a small display contoller that is mounted in the glove box. I was able to install this entire set up in my car with NO addtional holes except for where its mounted to the glovebox liner.

I used a piece of plywood to mount the CD player to shaped the same as the rear storage compartment and then put a small nut and bolt thru the drain hole in the storage compartment to hold it in place.

All thought the secrect audio unit does not excactly give concert quaility sounds.It works quite well for what it is.

Good Luck

So.. The S A unit palys back thru your stoock Radio Via RF..??? Or is it hard wired to your system?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom