Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Different primer for fiberglass?

chevyaddict

Corvette
1990 Convertible
We have been sanding on our 84 and it is almost ready for its first primer coat. I did a search and didn't find any posts that discussed a different type or brand of primer. I am assuming that fiberglass must be treated differently than metal, therefore a different primer should be used. Is this true? Can anyone recommend a certain type and/or brand of primer? I also noticed in my search discussion of the "Guide Coat". My understanding of this is that after the body has been sanded and primered several times a guide coat is used to "show" any unseen imperfections. So, this guide coat is really thin paint that will fill in little imperfections and show up. Is this true? If this is true, then why do I see people that have sprayed this black stuff sporatically over a primer and leave it there? I thought this process was to better show any hidden waves? Are these two different processes?

Anyway, my main question is what type of primer to use. The color will be a light gold like what you see alot on the newer cars. We have painted metal cars before but not fiberglass!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom