Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Distributor cap question - '92 LT-1

Redbob

Corvette
'89 dk red coupe
Got a question: I've been looking for a cap and rotor for a '92 LT-1; I've found parts at local shops, but the white plastic adapter plate included doesn't fit my distributor. The cap in the kit would fit using my adapter plate, however.
When I looked at rebuilt distributors, they were just like mine - the adaptor plate in the new cap & rotor kit doesn't fit them either.

So, my question is: How do I get the correct adaptor? I don't want to reuse the old one because the seals on it are old, cracked, won't keep out the water from the quarter car-wash!

Any suggestions?

When I had to replace the cap on my 93 LT1, I found that there is no replacement for just the cap for the Corvette LT1. The Camaro and Firebird engines are rebuildable, but not the Vette. The distributor body's are not the same, but I have not seen the F body distributor to compare exactly what is different. I went through my local Chevy parts department to check part numbers and look for rebuild kits, hoping to keep the total cost down, it didn't work. It has to be Corvette specific.
vettepilot

So what the parts guys were showing were in fact 'F'-body parts, not as they claimed Corvette parts?
Somehow I'm not surprised.

Redbob,
I can't say for certain but I think that is what happened. There may be in fact a "kit" available from somebody in the aftermarket, but if there is I haven't found it yet. I tried using search engines looking for anything that would lead me to a less costly affair with the opti-spark, but found out that it just isn't there.
When I first began looking to rebuild mine, I started with the usual parts places, but began recognizing that they didn't have the correct Corvette parts, it was all "f" body parts that they said would work "because it is the same engine". Not so, it's close but the Corvette has several differances to include a diff. opti-spark module. So be carefull when looking for the parts and pieces.
It is best to use genuine GM for the opti-spark, and you CAN get it for much less than the dealer parts dept if you search. It has been so long ago now I can't remember where I got mine, otherwise I would steer you in that direction for a good price.

vettepilot

I was told by David F that you can get replacement caps and rotors for '95 and '96 Vettes. Maybe they will work.

Optispark

I just had to replace the optispark and water pump in my 92 LT1. Not an inexpensive fix. The mechanic who fixed told me the optispark is a sealed unit, but he had a special tool to take it apart. The parts inside were all coroded and he showed me the carbon trails inside where the spark had been jumping around due to all the coroded contacts. I've seen on the forum here where you can get the optispark for around $300 - $350. I was impatient because I had only owned the car for a only a few weeks and was anxious to drive it without the sputtering and missing that was present every time I drove it. The total cost of the repair was over $1,200. the optispark was $500 alone, the rebuilt water pump over $200. I guess I don't know what you mean by a distributor cap as the optispark is a sealed unit with no vent holes. Why did those brilliant engineers ever design the LT1 with the water pump over the distributor? Good luck with your repairs.

Re: Optispark

Doutdoor said:
Why did those brilliant engineers ever design the LT1 with the water pump over the distributor?

Could it be because they never have to deal with an old one?
The only cars they see are less than a year old. Sure, they put miles on them, especially in durability testing, but you'll never convince me that time can be accelerated, like mileage accumulation is!
Or would it just be because they never have to twist their own wrenches?

Anyway, thanks for the useful insights.

opti spark

It is usually better to just replace the entire unit. You can get one for 350.00 at the last detail corvette parts in georgia.They have an on line catalogue www.tld-corvette.com.I have had real good luck with these guys. You might want to consider venting also.I went that way a little more expense but time will tell if it was worth it.I bought a new dist and a 95-96 dist cap kit 140.00+ the 350.00 newer cap fits older base and provides venting which old one did not.

Re: opti spark 1992

RLD92 said:
It is usually better to just replace the entire unit. You can get one for 350.00 at the last detail corvette parts in georgia.They have an on line catalogue www.tld-corvette.com.I have had real good luck with these guys. You might want to consider venting also.I went that way a little more expense but time will tell if it was worth it.I bought a new dist and a 95-96 dist cap kit 140.00+ the 350.00 newer cap fits older base and provides venting which old one did not.

Does this really work well: a 95-96 cap and rotor on a 92 distributor body????? Sounds like the best of both worlds which isn't saying much!!:(

Opti Spark

Were can I get a gasket for my 92 LT1 opti spark dist cap

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom