Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Distributor Problem...Need an EXPERT!

ltmark

Corvette
1985 coupe, bright red
I'm fighting a weak spark after changing coil, module, cap and rotor on my 85' L98.

On FSM 6D-27, it gives the diagnostic process for the distributor.

At the bottom of the page, it has the two types of coil and pick-up lead color combination's.

I have :

coil:

red lead on the right with the large pink wire connected to it beneath the cap extension.........black ground in the center and attached to the coil ground with one of the four screws.......white lead on the left with the tach lead connected from beneath.

Pick-up leads:
Green and white connected to the control module in the dist.

If you have a FSM, you will see that on the bottom of the page I have referenced, it shows the red and white coil leads "crossed" before they are pressed down into the cap extension. Mine have always been attached "straight" as they leave the coil? Also. it shows the Pick-up leads being crossed...mine have always been "straight" as they attach to the control module?

As I said earlier, when I put the orig coil and module back in the dist., I still get a real weak spark!

However, I just thought............I replaced the cap and rotor also, (my orig were both red) with new ones I bought yesterday (both dark grey)...is there any way those are not compatible...i don't know how that could be?

I NEED HELP

are you sure the new module is the right one? I think the caps and rotors have been the same forever.
What about the center post in the dist. Is the spring in it?
Is there a specification for testing the pickup coil? with a volt meter attached you should get a volt reading when you crank.

Glenn
:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom