Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DIY Heat and Sound Reduction Mod

tstar

Corvette
1999 Pewter Coupe
Well it was a long day and a hot one! But I got the whole interior layered. It took pretty much all day and I had one heck of a time with the Rear speaker trim pieces… the hydraulic struts for the hatch were fun fun fun…. NOT.

Anyway… I ended up using 5 rolls of the Frost King Duct Insulation and some left over laminate floor underlayment I had laying around. The difference in sound is VERY noticeable!!!! I think this is the first time I’ve heard my keys clinking against the dash!!! LOL

Here’s a few pics…

removingrearcorners.jpg

nakedrear.jpg

rearcarpetgone.jpg

frostking.jpg

rfamodule.jpg

tunnel.jpg

tunneldrivers.jpg

I’m still getting some tire noise (greatly diminished now though) but I haven’t done the outside treatment yet. I have to get the car up and rear tires/inner fender well trim removed and line all that and then stuff insulation in there….

Very nice! This has been on my 'list' for a while now. I even went to purchase a roll or two of the frost king stuff last weekend but the local Lowe's had one roll left and it was open and all beat up. I have not been able to find it at Home Depot.

I'm glad you mentioned how many rolls it took you because I have read anywhere from 4 to 8 rolls :L from different people.

Very nice! This has been on my 'list' for a while now. I even went to purchase a roll or two of the frost king stuff last weekend but the local Lowe's had one roll left and it was open and all beat up. I have not been able to find it at Home Depot.

I'm glad you mentioned how many rolls it took you because I have read anywhere from 4 to 8 rolls :L from different people.

It depends on how much you want to cover. The largest area for sound intrusion is the bulkhead behind the seats. I did this mod a couple of years ago. That and a partition made my Z06 a more friendly daily driver.

Yep! Bulkhead area and the three compartments in the rear are the areas to really concentrate on inside...

When I do the exterior I'll post a better write-up and Pics.

Looks great!!! How much does each roll cost?

:cool

I'm going to have to try that mod on my '80.

The Frost King insulation was $14.74 per roll, and the aluminum tape was $7.28 per role at Lowes. I've used about 2 & 1/2 rolls of insulation so far and about 2/3rds of a roll of tape. I also plan on doing the interior of my 73 in the near future with the addition of another heat absorber/deflector.

I did this about 6 weeks ago and it works great. I used 4.5 rolls for the entire car. The only bad part is I looked like I had been in a small razor blade fight after I was done. That shiny aluminum backing is sharp!

I did a major sound reduction just this morning: ditched the Run-craps and put on Michelin Pilot Sport ZPs! :L

The car is so quiet now I can really enjoy the wind noise. :mad

Seriously, I installed the insulation kit a guy on Forum sells (not very well fitted) back in the Spring but the GYs were so noisy there was no relief. There was, however, a big drop in console heat. Guess lining the inner wheel liners is next.

I did a major sound reduction just this morning: ditched the Run-craps and put on Michelin Pilot Sport ZPs! :L

The car is so quiet now I can really enjoy the wind noise. :mad

yep; tire ROAR is tough to dampen. It seeps in everywhere; ya can't insulate the windshield or side windows !!!

FK and even the more dense materials (Dynamat Xtreme, D'amplifier Pro, ...) can't do much against tire roar. They do help with just about all other noises; but Goodyear tire roar is an untamed monster.

http://mikemercury.home.att.net/sound.htm.

the wheel well area on 1997 thru 2002 C5's can amplify all noise - even tire noise.

The ET trick (where you remove the rear wheelwells and pack that area with household insulation) works very well.
insulation.JPG

I have been wondering, does the insulation stuffed into the wheelwells get wet and compress? Any reason not to do on a road car that goes rain or shine?

:beer

although the person that discovered this mod says that there is no concern with the insulation getting wet; I and many others "played it safe" and placed the pink home insulation in plastic garbage -type- bags before installation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom