Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

DIY MN6 transmission rebuild

eRiCdWoNg

Corvette
98 pewter mn6 coupe
...Since I gotta yank my driveline to service a leaky slave cylinder, I'm going to rebuild the transmission. My 3rd gear grinds during hard shifts as well as when it is cold out. And, I have the infamous leak. I'm assuming its the input shaft but I wont know for sure until I yank the thing.

I have rebuilt manual transmissions on import FWD cars, so I'm familiar with the M/T in general, but I've never done a C5 or a RWD car.

Soooo, has anybody rebuilt a M6 transmission yourself? And do the GM dealers sell the internal parts such as the 3rd gear synchros? Were there any other "inherent" problems such as prematurely worn bearings? Is there a "case gasket" or is it just sealant used to seal the unit together?

eRiCdWoNg said:
...Since I gotta yank my driveline to service a leaky slave cylinder, I'm going to rebuild the transmission. My 3rd gear grinds during hard shifts as well as when it is cold out. And, I have the infamous leak. I'm assuming its the input shaft but I wont know for sure until I yank the thing.

I have rebuilt manual transmissions on import FWD cars, so I'm familiar with the M/T in general, but I've never done a C5 or a RWD car.

Soooo, has anybody rebuilt a M6 transmission yourself? And do the GM dealers sell the internal parts such as the 3rd gear synchros? Were there any other "inherent" problems such as prematurely worn bearings? Is there a "case gasket" or is it just sealant used to seal the unit together?
I have a bad reverse syncro on my transmission (T56, 1998 w/ 75K miles)and have started the research. I am planning on pulling mine this winter and doing the work when I won't be driving anyway. I have found several postings on pulling the transmission and have found the serivice manual for these transmissions on the web. If you need this service manual send me your email and I can send it. It is 1.6meg pdf file. I have not decided to do the actual transmission work or not, I was concidering a local shop that rebuilds. I would be interested in the replies you get to this one.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom