Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do C4's go in snow??

ZAL81

Corvette
81 Charcoal Metallic 4-spd & 94 Red 6 spd vert
Since I bought my 94 Vert to be a daily driver, I'm wondering just what to expect this winter. Do C4's get around in the snow or will I be calling in to work at the first snow fall of the season. Being from Misouri, I never know what to expect as far as snow amounts. No major snow last winter until the first of March, this year could be Thanksgiving, who knows. Just curious, ZAL81

Depends

On how much you like your car the way it looks now. Not saying you can't handle the snow, it's the other people and salt that would have me concerned. I think I'd buy a beater for the winter and off it in the spring.;)

I had the unfortunate task of having to drive in the snow one time and it was scary to say the least. I don't recommend it first and foremost because it is extremely dangerous. And like Lou said, the salt could cut the body life shorter.

I'm lucky I have a Tahoe for the snow here in Michigan. The vette is tucked in for the winter. I vote for a beater for the snow. You just can't trust the other guy and glass breaks.:duh

Last time I saw a convertible C4 Vette in snow, it was off the road... over a curb (ouch). FWIW. I concur on the beater - buy a $500 junker (89-92 Subaru Loyale 4WD/AWD would be great, but any FWD at the least) and you won't make the whole trip to work holding your breath...
[RICHR]

Vettes and snow...

...I think that some are driven in snow, I have heard of several C5's that can handle it nicely.

However, I think the combination of wide tires, power, other drivers driving like idiots in the snow...would be a combination to avoid.

Buy a cheap beater...you won't cry if it gets hit or put in the ditch like you would if it was the vette. Drive the vette on nice weather days, take the beater for chancy weather conditions.
Heidi

I'm on my third C4 and while I've never driven any of them in the snow, they don't handle very well in rain or wet roads!

Elaine

The (funny)Video tape from Chevrolet that came with my 95 shows lots of winter and snow driving, and it goes on to say how the traction control really helps. Even some footage of driving through snow and ice.

Well, I bought my car last January, there was some snow and ice on my street and driveway- I WILL BE WALKING BEFORE I DRIVE IN IT AGAIN. I was able to slide my car by getting out and leaning on it.

Go with the beater if you can.

I would never drive a sports car in the snow! it could prbally handle fine, but you would destroy its beauty! get a junker for like 500 bucks and then take it off the road during the spring and un insure it, or just sell it. but if ya have to drive the vette, then theres nothin u can do...

I see a guy for the last 2 years drive his 95/96 Vette to work everyday all year round and he seems to go fine. Even climbs a good hill to get to his apartment complex. I guess he wanted a Vette and it was gonna be his only car. He seems to do ok and they do make winter tires for em. I have a 2001 Tacoma 4x4 for winter but I will drive mine when the roads are clear. Got a pressure washer at the shop so I am just gonna wash the sucker every week or 2 to take any salt off. Just my .02

:beer

I drove my 84 year round . It did badly in the snow and terrible on the ice . The slush would get up on the lower door panels and the carpet would freeze to the sills and the doors wouldn't open . I highly reccomend a beater for winter . Cliff

Not looking foward to the winter

The Vette is my only car ... and I am alittle nervious about the winter also. I was EXTREMELY lucky last year as it snowed ONCE on the weekend and was pretty much ok by monday. There was ice and snow, etc... but i got lucky. I am thinking about another car for snow driving. I have driving in some pretty heavy rain and such with the Corvette and as long as you take it slow and easy, i have been fine.

I'd like to think i have "technology" on my side with the Corvette. I drove for 10 years, daily driver since HS, a 1973 Chevelle with a 350. It was the WORST car ever for snow and i managed to get home safely every time. I had NO traction, and was extemely from heavy. I had to put huge stone slab in the trunk to help up.

I think if there would be a good chance of a bad storm, i'd be calling in sick. (cough)

John

Snow, Ice, Cold

Take a lesson from the ducks and geese, migrate south for the winter. No snow here in 15 years. Only a 2 hour drive to the Ski slope. Cheap booze. No speed cops on the Autopista. Oh, I forgot to mention one negative. Gas is 4 bucks a gallon.

My 90 handles the rain with no problems, (Dunlop rubber all around). I wax BMW M3`s in the rain and the 2 neighborhood Audi TT`s won’t even come out of the garage when they hear the Vette thunder by.

The 82 is a different story, my son uses the rain as just one more excuse to support his local body shop. Before I gave him the car I tried every tire combination on earth with no success. Even a small dog hiking his leg on a back tire would send the backend around with no warning.
:beer

I live in Oregon where real snow fall is a rare occurance. But we do get icy roads on occasion. If I am home when this happenes I either stay home or ride the light rail. If I am at work when this happens the Vette stays in the garage at work and I go home on the light rail.
I had the scary experience of driving my '86 Vette on an icy road one day from work. To make a long scary story very short, I (by the grace of God) managed to get that Vette back into our company garage. I went home on the light rail and vowed to never let myself get into that situation again. Fortunately for me that was a very rare occurance in this city so I have never had to deal with it again but next time I would have a much better action plan! :)

So in answer to your question "no, don't take the Vette and yes do call in for a day off"! :)

I live in Louisville and we don't get much snow. We have the dreaded BLACK ICE. It doesn't care what you drive . Your gonna slide....slide......slide. I was told by a tire dealer that my Z rated tires or only good on nice warm dry smooth black top roads.My vette is a dailey driver and I'm 18 miles from work. 7 miles of which is along side the Ohio river road. There are a few spots with no guard rail. Our local police has dubbed me the terror of river road. That was in my 81 vette. I now have 86 conv. If I'm able I'll report how I did on the ice. I have no other way home.I could call a cab but that wouldn't be any fun.

Louisville also

Same story... I just bought a 94 and plan to drive through the winter.. I am buying new rear tires today. I made a point to pick a tire that is capable of running in the snow,, I hope.. I suppost if things do not seem to work out I can get a cheap ride,, But that is not the plan at this time...

My name is Steve

Buy a junker, then put a license plate frame on it. "My other car is a Corvette"....;)

Even though Vettes have excellent front/rear weight distribution, they are not a car to drive in snow or ice. The lack of clearance in the front, will quickly remove your front spoiler and that part is what is responsible for getting cooling air into the radiator. When that fills up with snow, you may just as well pull over and walk!

The wide tires do not help at all on ice or even packed snow. Even though BFG makes a tire (KDWS) that is supposed to provide some snow traction, it's just not worth the possibility of damaging your Vette.

Rain is something else; I don't have any problems at all in the rain although I don't drive it in the rain (yeah, it's sort of a garage queen!). I have done one track day where the track was wet from an overnight rain squall and the car did quite well at speed with my Bridgestone Potenza's. Just had to be careful in the turns.

Buy something like a old full-size sedan or station wagon or even a 4WD truck for winter driving. That way if you get it stuffed in a snow bank, no big deal- just wait for the tow truck or spring thaws

Heyspike said:
Buy a junker, then put a license plate frame on it. "My other car is a Corvette"....;)

Yup Yup Yup... I've got my beater an 88 S-10 4 banger.. I didn't care when someone backed into the drivers door when it was parked infront of my house and just left.. (friggin morons should of left a note) I was just glad my vette was in the garage up on stands safely sleeping under the car cover while undergoing a trans plant I mean trans job..
-Rick

well I forgot I do have a 1977 chevy G20 van But every time I go some where in it I leave a bit of it. Its a rust bucket for sure. But I'm at the weather's mercy when I'm at work. The weather here in the Derby City can be 80 and sunny when you start out and rain sleet and ice when you leave for the adobe

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom