Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do C4's go in snow??

Remo,

Thank you for taking the high road. I too, owe you an apology, I should not have been so condescending with my post towards you. This is the most constructive, as well as helpful Corvette forum that I have ever come across. And yes, lets part as friends and get back to having fun here!

B17Crew

Toni....
Questions on the tires.....
Are you running 255/40 all the way around? On what size rims?
I am running the 275/40/17 on the factory 9.5s all around. I know I should run narrower, but I got a really good deal, so here I am. I have heard that Nokian makes some larger sizes for sports cars, but have had difficulty finding them. After I got the Goodyears, a place around here said they just fitted a Porsche 996 with winter tires from Nokian.

How do you like the Pirrellis in the snow? Are the severe rated? (I thought they were, but can not remember.) The Goodyears are not, but seem to do very well in all conditions thus far.

I must admit, you are nuttier than I am. You don't even have traction control. :L Mine does not come on with the winter tires unless I cause it to.

Oh, I have driven with summer tires in the winter though. The first winter here in Denver, I ran almost new Goodyear GSCs. They actually did really well. Odd though, as they are not even considered "all-season."

Thanks..
Mike

You can see what happened to me in post (should this thing be this fast?) when just auto upshift on dry pavement. No way would I drive my 88 in hard rain or snow. I have a Z71 for that. Up here the salt is thick and ruins rim finish, paint, undercarriage etc. Mine came with a "Canadian Climate Package" which included a block heater. I sure as hell haven't used it!
Had a bud in North Bay who bought his 66 327/350 rag new and drove it the first few years in the winter and has replaced his frame! Too bad I can't figure out how to post pics or I could send one of his 66 with snow tires on.
My advice; same as everyone else. Buy a cheap pick-up for all but summer driving. A vette that has seen snow will show it and get poor re-sale. First thing I did was put mine on a hoist to confirm NO rust or tarnish underneath. Good Luck! RJS

I agree with 78SilvAnniv.....I think I would get a cheep car or truck for everyday use.....To much to loose if something happened with the Vette.......I like to keep mine in the garage and clean.....I bring it out in nice weather.......As for everyday beater,,,,,,,I drive a company car.....( POLICE CAR ):D

Salt???
no salt here.

Magnesium-Chloride. No rust problems that way. They use that and some sand. The sand is the problem b/c it can chip paint and windshields.

As far a cleaning goes, it does not take much to clean mine, and you would never know I drove it in the snow. I have been through it many times, and there are no residual indicators anywhere inside, outside, or underneath that the car has been in the snow.

Just to add to the "sports-car" debate, I think it was Zora Duntov himself (I KNOW you all know who he was) who said that the Willys Jeep was America's first true sports car because it had the vital features; two seater manual shift rag-top. For me, my 88 is still a true sports car even if it is an auto. Main thing is you can drop the top! Also, I agree with buddy; I buy Canadian made first (snowmobile, beer) then American and that's it. The only japcrap in my house is audio/video cause there's really no choice anymore...:pat :beer
RJS

OOPS! Wrong pic (this was a train that hit a big mudslide at work, note the trees on the roof). This is better, but I still don't know how you guys are posting pics of your rides right on the forum like that. Advice? RJS

Does that mean corvette was not a sports car in '82? (not a manual in the bunch if I remember correctly)

and no ragtops either! oops (unless you consider a T-top a convertible)

> Toni....Questions on the tires....

Oh, sorry for not responding for awhile. The forum e-mail notice thing does not work very well. 5 min ago I received a e-mail saying there is a new posting and when I logged on there is at least 10 of them???

> Are you running 255/40 all the way around? On what size rims?

Yes I do, my wheels are stock 17"x9.5"

> I am running the 275/40/17 on the factory 9.5s all around.

It is better to have narrowest winter tires you can fit on your wheels. Narrower tires work much better in snow/ice conditions.

> I have heard that Nokian makes some larger sizes for sports cars, but have had difficulty finding them.

That is too bad, Nokia is a Finnish company so every tire shop has them here. :)

>How do you like the Pirrellis in the snow?

I like them allright. Best low profile winter tire I've tried. They are expensive here though, like more than $2000 a set.

> Are the severe rated?

Sorry, don't know what that means?? Of course all wide and low profile winter tires suck big time compared to proper winter tires in family car sizes.

> I must admit, you are nuttier than I am. You don't even have traction control.

Well actually I do - my traction control is located between the seat and the steering wheel ;) ie. me. It takes lots of practice but here in Finland we do get that a lot.... ;)

Greets,

Toni

Hi Toni...
Thanks for the info.
Yeah, I know that narrower tires are better in the snow, but my fear of hitting a rim, combined with the incredible price for these tires made it a deal I could not pass up.

As for the price, WOW. The Goodyear's would not have cost that much if I bought them from Goodyear! ($375 each retail) Pirelli' over here cost less than the Goodyears by $90 a piece.

What other snow tires have you tried on the vette?

Oh, Severe ratings are a new way to say that some studless snow tires perform to the so well that they can be used instead of studded tires. There is a funny shaped box with a snow flake on the side of the tire. The Goodyears are not, but no complaints so far.

I know what you mean about the traction system. With a little common sense, you can do without the electronic helpers. (nice to have them though)

Thanks...and talk to you later.
Mike

Drawing the line at snow

My rule is absolutly no to snow and would not even consider driving if there is noticable salt on the roads.

I have gotten stuck in dust with lesser high performance cars so I can just imagine what Vette's would be in snow.

:nono If you want your Vette--don't do it. Period.

If mine sees 3 snowflakes it is stuck. A few years back had an early unpredicted snow and still had it out. Made it home but they do not like snow. Wont go wont stop big tires are just not the ticket for snow.

Bad idea

I live just outside buffalo and we have snow from november to may! Driving a corvette here in the winter is unheard of. I know of one guy who tried it and I was told driving down the road was bad enough but trying to go in the parking lots and driveways in anything over a inch of snow was imposible. He ended up having a little accident with a snow bank ( $3500 snowbank ) and put it away after that! BAD IDEA! Vettes just werent intended for winter!

C4 in the snow

Living in Buffalo, NY the Vette is in storage. The folks that I know that tried it had poor results. the best two words for snow driving are "Audi Quattro"-nothing like it.

Sweet Fancy Moses! This thread was started 5 years ago!;LOL

B17Crew
:w

I didn't read the whole thread but the answer is the vette will go in light snow if you have all season tires. Avon makes all season tires in a variety of sizes and are reasonably priced. I love mine! And living in WV, we see some snow (though not this year yet)

Well I live in Michigan and I will tell you NO wide tire works in snow. PERIOD. Than add a light car with high hp. Mine was in the snow once I was eating dinner in a restaurant after work and it started snow it was anything but fun driving home. I am not a sissy. I drive circle track cars including an ASA ca as well as Super Late Model which makes over 700 hp. So I can drive the car in any weather, but it is not fun.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom