Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do C4's go in snow??

Remo didn't read the whole thing, I see what you mean though.
Edmond thats the trouble here- getting to the plowwed street!

Get out your tape measure. Most SUV's don't have 6" of ground clearance, much less a regular cars. Yeah they look tall, but look under them. Their axels don't have much clearance. A Subaru has more ground clearance than an Explorer.

A corvette is not an ideal car for the snow. I don't think anyone here thinks that. SUV's and trucks are actually no better. They have a high center of gravity, and with that much weight, a lot of momentum to try and stop on a low friction surface. Add high winds to their high profile, and you can watch them get blown sideways off the road.

Every time there is percipitation here, there is at least one roll over accident, a truck or SUV. They go too fast, and loose control faster than a you can quick shift a vette. The really unfortunate think is that these people end up causing a accidents all around them as they crash.

Don't think that SUVs are more of a problem in bad weather? Look at the insurance rates. Why do you think the cost to insure a SUV or truck is going through the roof? They are in/cause a lot of accidents. They tend to do a lot of damage when their driver goofs, and the insurance companies are starting to make them pay. Don't worry about a corvette hitting you in the snow, you have a better chance of being hit my lightning. Corvettes are far more likely to get run off the road by a 4x4.

Caution, reduced speed, attentiveness, and a little common sense, and you can drive just about anything in the snow. You can get a car with bald tires to go through a iced over curve, not recommened, but possible.

If you don't feel comfortable driving your vette in the snow (or rain as the case may be) then don't. But don't think you are superior because you choose not to. If they really were unsafe to drive in bad weather, GM would be sued left and right for liability.

I think we are going down the wrong path !

This topic was started for fun to see what people do.
Just because someone has a 4x4 doesn't make them better/worse than anyone else just like if your only vehicle is your Vette.

A Vette is a car !!

Some people have show quality cars and obviously don't drive them in bad weather. This doesn't make them a bad person.

I spent my first few years driving in snow in my 79 Z-28. No posi, it did the job. If the snow was too deep I stayed home. By 85 I finally bought my first 4x4 and have never gone back. Helll, I remember when pickups were still called "trucks" and you couldn't give them away. So I aint no yuppie.

Yes the new "SUV" yuppies have no clue how to drive these things. Most do forget or just don't know til it's too late that they go better but don't stop better !

My personal case is I wanted a Vette since I can remember. I'm 40 now and married so we have the money to finally find a Vette as our 3rd car and use it as a summer toy. Not a big money car but we still like ours.

Others choose to buy a Vette as their only car because that is what they can afford right now. As long as they are happy that is what counts. Like I said before, it IS just a car afterall. Sure a special car but still a car. Cars were ment to be driven in all sorts of weather.

So lets just get back to having fun with this topic :beer :cu

On that note...

First real snow since I got the Eagle M&S.....They did great. Got to the freeway with very little wheel spin at one light. (I saw the front wheel drives next to me spinning as much or more) Ran the freeway without a single slip, and pulled right through the slush and slippery sh** that stranded a mustang at a freeway interchange. From a dead stop, it pulled up hill in slippery slush on a bank into a turn. I have driven front wheel drive cars (with all season tires) that could not do any better. (have not driven another car with dedicated winter tires before)

I recommend them if you are going to drive in the snow. i know they are hard to find, and cost as much as a beater, but they are worth it. I decided that I wanted to put the money into my vette instead of a beater, or second car.

I know that Pirrelli made a p-zero asymetrico in a 285/40/17, and I have heard that Nokian also makes one large enough. Shop around for deals.

We just went up to Andorra http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/an.html in the Vette. We would have taken the Tahoe if it had not been for this thread. With all the commotion about Vettes and snow it just had to be done. :eyerole

No real problems with the ice. I skidded around a bit here and there but my wife got back in the car with me for the trip home. (She does not always do that on a hot sunny day.) I did have to get down in the snow and clean the ice and crud out of the plenum a few times. I was more concerned about the spoiler freezing so hard that it would break off it I bumped it on a curb than any thing else.

Andorra has a Tire Chain Law. If you get stopped without a set of chains in your car they call the tow truck and put the car in the impound until you pay the fine and buy the chains. I tossed a set of chains for a Renault with 13 inch wheels in the back. The Police were happy just to see the box. I am pretty sure they know that nobody is going to put chains on a Corvette. :duh

We will take the Tahoe on the next trip up to Andorra. Not because of the snow. The Corvette just gets a bit small on an 8 hour drive with 2 people, 2 large dogs, and a change of underwear.
:Steer

Madre Santa!!! :L
Buen hecho.

Yeah, chains don't fit Corvettes well. Good to hear you had a safe trip. It is hard to imagine two large dogs in a vette on a road trip. I pack mine pretty full just on a trip by my self!

Take care.
Y desfruta los mariscos!

Well, I'll give my opinion too, we have some 6-8 months of snow in these parts so I have lots of experience of this: I do drive my Vette every day snow or sunny - it's same to me. It's been even -30F this winter and still I drove to work. No major problems this far. Vette is not the best car to have during the winter but it is not so bad either - just like any other powerfull RWD car. You just need to be carefull and use good snow tires. So IMO basically just a normal car that squeks a bit more than others when its below freezing ;)

Actually I am a firm believer in: "you must drive your car to keep it in good condition, letting it sit for months at a time will result in problems" -movement. So to make sure my car does not go bad unused I have driven 44K miles during the last 3 years in any weather ;)

Having said that: now, after 3 winters I am soon retiring my Vette from winter duty because I plan to start modding it more for fast driving and some positive stopping ;) for next summers track days and slalom events. A quick 4x4 sedan will take its place for as a winter transportation.

http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/thilakari/Kuvat/vette/winter.jpg

Regards,

Toni

Hello everyone, the more I read this thread, the more I shake my head.

Two incidents to chew on:
We have had 3 to 4 inches on the ground here consistently. Today, as I’m heading to work in my LT4, a guy in a Lexus RX 300 (a Lexus all wheel drive SUV) decides to pull out in front of me to make a left-hand turn, in his attempt to beat me so he wouldn’t have to sit one more minute, he applies too much gas, lost control, SLID all the way across the road, and slammed into the curve - his sexy Lexy shook violently. Fortunately, he was not hurt, don’t know about his rims and alignment though.

I am in my other car and I’m behind a youngster in a Honda Civic who is making a right-hand turn. He too gives it too much gas as he makes a RH turn from a red light and he does a complete 180. My headlights were shining right in his cabin after his little twirl trip, I could see the pucker factor on his face and just how pale a person gets when they have the crap scarred out of them.

It’s not what you’re driving, it’s a matter of using that gray 3 pound blob in your head while your behind wheel.

Just my.02
B17Crew

I just noticed Topless was talking about good winter tires and he mentioned Pirelli. Well, I am running Pirelli Winter 210 Asymmetrico in 255-40-17. They are really good low profile winter tire and I have no problems getting around in snowy or icy conditions. You should aim to get the narrowest tire you can fit on your wheels. They work much better in slippery conditions than wider tires.

Nokia makes one in 255-40-17 also. In Finland (as Nokia is Finnish tire) the model is called WR, don't know what is the equivalent in USA though.

I do not recommend running summer tires in snowy conditions in any situation. They do not work and they are very dangerous.

Greets,

toni

Ps. I just realized there is some controversy about this issue, I did not read the thread before I commented about my experience. I live 400 miles south of arctic circle and have done just fine with the Vette but IMO people who do not have lots of experience about icy conditions should not try driving a powerfull RWD sports car in such a climate - it can be tricky at first.

NO! Vettes are terrible in the snow. I run very wide tires on mine and one inch will cause scary ride. Too much power. Buy a beater with little or no power, something that you won't care if it gets wrecked (like a MUSTANG!).

Moose said:
Buy a beater with little or no power, something that you won't care if it gets wrecked (like a MUSTANG!).

;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

C4 Snowboarders

February 18th, 2003

30 inches of new snow here this morning. Drove to work in my 4WD pickup truck. Didn't see any C4 Corvettes - actually I didn't see any Corvettes. What's up with that?

Regards - Remo

uh...maybe you’re using that gray 3 pound blob in your head?

Remo,

Sept. 18th 2003
Here in the St. Louis area, we had 3-4 inches of sleet and snow. made driving a real PITA. But guess what??

According to the local news, "There were a large number of accidents because of the weather and 50% of those involved SUV's. " So to quote you "Whats up with that"

I guess driving an SUV seems to make some people think their invinicible and put the rest of use "common car " folk at greater risk? Personally, with 30 inches of snow on the ground, I wouldn't be driving at all. Insane and not worth the risk!

Now as the person you started this thread, let me say that I started it in order to get a better understanding of what to expect from my C4 in the snow. I did not intend for this thread to be a "I'm a better driver than you are" or a "Lets make fun of the guys who drive their C4's in the snow" kind of thread. If you are in a postition to have a winter driver and can leave your vette in the garage, than "Yeah!!! Lets here it for Remo!!!"
Until I get to that position, I will drive my car, read that again, MY CAR, in what ever weather mother nature throws at me.

I think we all know by now how you feel about driving a Corvette in the snow, so unless you have something constructive to add,

"Thanks Remo, Your opinion is noted - that is all"

Zane

They might but mine is not. I don't think I would even try to drive it in the snow. I have two other cars for that. Someone was selling snow tires for a C4 on e-bay last week, not many miles on them........I wonder why? :duh

Ever try to drive a Trans Am or Z28 in the snow? Been there...Tried it....won't go!

Isn't about time that this thread was closed down? It is no longer constructive.

Peace

Zane, B17,

Gentlemen, I was just having some fun - stiring up the chat between those who drive Vettes in snow and those that don't. I'd have to agree that the thread has run its coarse. My apologies if I upset anyone - let's part friends.

Vette Rule - all Vettes
- Remo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom