Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do C4's go in snow??

A sports car for all seasons? Sell the Vette and buy an Audi Quattro 1.8T and chip it, or a Subaru WRX and chip it... You won't find a four-season Vette unless you get the custom 4x4 high-rider I saw at Carlisle a couple years back.

The ice ruts alone around here would destroy your underside and air dam.
[RICHR]

Sure

This is the first sports car I have had that could not handle all seasons, including deep snow... I have had many sports cars... Most have had a bit more ground clearance... Most of the time this is not an issue, just deep snow.. But I do not consider an audi quatro , or a Subaru sports cars... They can run, But for me a sports car is a two seater... I know a 911 has a back seat, but not really.. Can anyone really sit in those things.. Hey I like my car,, I just have to rethink how it fits into my life, and if it has a long term presence in my life..

Huh. If your definition of "sports car" precludes anything with a back seat, then there are not that many sports cars out there... You'd rule out pretty much any Porsche other than the Boxster; also the Mustang, Camaro, McLaren F1 (it has one front and two rear seats), Mercedes CL55 AMG (pretty sure it's got rear seats), most of the Nissan 300 ZX's sold (there were two models), the BMW M3, M5 and 850 CSi... the list goes on.
[RICHR]

Sports Car?

This is probably going to p*** off a few people, but in my opinion be it a sports car or a family car- if it isn't an "AMERICAM MADE" car then it wouldn't be in my driveway in the first place. I've never owned and have no plans to own anything but good ole "MADE IN THE USA" automobiles. I know their getting harder to find but thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

And as far as the snow issue, I figure what little snow we get around here (3-4 times a winter?) isn't worth giving up my Vette compared to the fun I have the rest of the year. !! Counting the days until spring!!!!!!!!!! Zane

Opinion

It's just an opinion... And I know there are many cars with back seats that can run very fast.. Still I feel if you run a back seat you are still basically running a family type car.. Maybe a very fast family car, but if the family can come alone, the discription kind of fits. Mustangs, and Camaro's, are they sports cars??? not for me... More like sporty cars... Back seat you know. I don't count the back seat in the porsches,,, I doubt anything bigger than a gerbil could ride in them anyway... Hey it's just an opinion, we all have them, and I doubt if we all agree about almost anything.

Politics anyone??

Heh... ever ridden in the back seat of a Camaro? Gerbil-sized... neighbor's got an '01 Camaro SS - it'll outrun most C4's at the strip.

Remember, many manufacturers added a rudimentary back seat for insurance purposes, and just because something is only a 2-seater doesn't make it a sports car... while a Miata might loosely be one, a Mercury Capri sure isn't.

You're entitled to your opinion; I just think it's wrong! :t

[RICHR]

rrubel said:
just because something is only a 2-seater doesn't make it a sports car... while a Miata might loosely be one, a Mercury Capri sure isn't.
[RICHR]

Now a Buick Reatta, thats a 2 passanger sports car...
:L :L :L :L :L :L :L

Now *why* did you have to go and bring that one up?? :)

Former Apple Evangelist Guy Kawasaki said back in the 80's that you could tell how much someone knew if they bought an Acura Legend and how much someone DIDN'T know if they bought a Buick Reatta.

[RICHR]

Grandmamma always said, ¨guest rooms breed guest ¨. Same thing goes for back seats, the rear seats of my Tahoe are in the attic. Maybe I am just anti social, the only folks I haul around are my wife and dogs. They prefer the Vette unless its rain down in buckets the way it is today.

All Gm vehicles are winter tested including the Corvette. Not the best ride in the snaow, but some guys drive em year roound. Here in NC we are lucky to drive them 12 months if we choose...

Jeff, there was a good chapter in "All Corvettes are Red" about the C5's winter testing. IIRC, they mentioned how badly the C4 ASR program handled snow and that their goal was to make the C5 a 4-seasons car. At one point, though, they'd forgotten to program "ice" into the traction control... and on one test on a frozen hill, the wheels refused to turn at all!
[RICHR]

NO no NO!!!

The very thing that makes the car handle well is exceeded only
by the inability to hanle snow.

Chevy needs to make a 4WD CORVETTE!! It would be awesome in the rain and snow!!! Probably better ET'S at the track, you don't have to do burnouts and your tires will grip !! Wishful thinking

swoosh is right...4wd would be nice! better handling too!

Saw one of those at Carlisle a couple years back. C3-vintage, jacked up a couple feet with super mudders, and a nekkid lady painted on the hood. Wait... that's not quite what you're looking for, is it? :)

AWD would be great, but the vette is already heavy for a sports car and there's no ROOM under there for a center and front diff (assuming they'd keep the rear transaxle).
[RICHR]

I have been driving vettes year around since .......67'.............the 93' w/auto did well.....after the Michelin Man stopped by................the 96' does well cause it will walk up any thing in 3rd gear..........

Black Ice is the killer........caught twice on it.....driving normally both times. Did about 4 or 5 donuts on a bridge in the 79' and came to rest an inch from the side of the bridge. All the traffic decided to stop and watch as I worked my way across the bridge. The 96' wasn't quite as lucky. When I finished playing Dale E. and 4 or 5 donuts later I kissed the side of the bridge nice'n'square'n'softly..ended up repainting the rear bumper cover.......so all in all I was real lucky.......too many donuts in your plastic car can tend to leave a mess in one or two of the seats...depending upon occupancy at the time...However, as a rule of thumb and index........I am more worried about the other idiot cracking my glass....................so I guess I would park it in the winter if you have that option........Shoot we used to load em' up with skis and all that other stuff........course I was a little yunger and dumber then........

get a beater.

all through high school i drove a Camaro. i cant count how many 360's i have done by accident in that car. RWD sports really arent meant for the snow.

i say grab a 80's bronco or Blazer and have a ball. i have a 70 blazer as my off roader/ beater truck that i drive in the winter, and in fact, in the 4 inchs of snow we got today, i got side ways coming home this afternoon... with 4wd and baja claws( hehe but was i trying to ) ;) :D

Spins

I love 360's and 720's as long as you don't hit anything.. It's that thud at the end that stinks.
Hey,, I didn't mean to offend anyone with the remarks about what defines a sports car. There was a time when I wondered if the mid seventy vettes still qualified too, so it's all perspective..
For me sports cars a light, quick, nimble, manual shift car. What they do at the drag strip is not a real factor.. I am more of a road race fan.
I doubt many of us could beat some of the old dodge hemi's that used to run at the strip years ago... Heck maybe they still do...
Other peoples description for a sports car could include room for kids, comfortable ride, automatic tranny, airconditioning, etc... Anyway,, enjoy your ride, I like mine..

You're right, each of our definitions to what a sports car should be are different. I'd personally like air conditioning because it gets hot here in Chicago and I wouldn't be able to enjoy my vehicle if it didn't come with air.

I do prefer a two seater now. You always have an excuse not to drive people around!:L

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom