Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do we need to fix the way the public views Corvette owners?

longspur

Corvette
2001 Pewter convertible
Taken from our local paper this week. I circled the paragraph that kinda stuck out as not good for us Vette owners.

Maybe it can be resized by someone. What do you guys think of that? I can't beleive it, maybe it's true. lol.

The circled part of the write up states

"Corvette owners are a different crowd," he said. "there more cliquey.
"Camero owners are more laid back and they're more friendly." he said. "Your car's an extension of your personality."

lol You think thats bad... Hang out with a bunch of Subie owners!

If that newspaper is correct, Im screwed! I have a Vette and a Subie! I had better stop drinking or when I get drunk I may kick my own ass!

Newt

Nonsense

"Corvette owners are a different crowd," he said. "there more cliquey."

I'll discuss this with all my super cool "in crowd" Corvette buddies and maybe get back to you.:cool

But if you talk to any of them the first thing they like to tell you is that "it has a Corvette motor." It's just part of being a proud owner of the car you like, be it a Camaro or a Corvette.

Corvette owners more Cliquey ?

I'm not sure on what Mr. Forsyth bases his observations, but this is a free nation and whatever the writers wants to print, so be it. Perhaps if Mr. Forsyth were to make some sort of effort to socialize with Corvette owners every once in awhile his opinion might be different. But of course, the first amendment is free to every citizen. ;shrug

It's kinda true.

It absolutely true :upthumbs

We say it all the time, "nothing like the vette community" and other testimonials on the great lengths we often go to assist the other members, info on solving mechanical problems with the car, advice on where to go for mods . . .

That makes us.....cliquey ;LOL by definition I guess.

And as far as him characterizing Camaro people as "more friendly" well....he can make his own judgements.

I don't know about cliquey, but I also ride Harley Davidson motorcycles.

I know when I go to Sturgis in early August the general concensus of the bartenders and waitresses in the Black Hills is that the corvette owners who were there a few weeks before us are LOUSY tippers.

So come on folks, if you can afford to drive a vette, you can afford to be a little freer with the tips. You are getting a bad reputation out there ;)

Doug

:rotfl "I dont tip, I over tip, its a thing we do . . ."

Thats from a movie, but we say it all the time because we do it (Mom was a waitress years ago when we were growing up).

Hmmm

I don't know about cliquey, but I also ride Harley Davidson motorcycles.

I know when I go to Sturgis in early August the general concensus of the bartenders and waitresses in the Black Hills is that the corvette owners who were there a few weeks before us are LOUSY tippers.
Doug

Funny thing......that's what they say about you Harley guys. You don't think they have a scam going...do you?;)
Remo:cool

Funny thing......that's what they say about you Harley guys. You don't think they have a scam going...do you?;)
Remo:cool

Hey, that's funny :L It would be a great scam, I think they call it playing both ends against the middle :rotfl

Doug

Taken from our local paper this week. I circled the paragraph that kinda stuck out as not good for us Vette owners.

Maybe it can be resized by someone. What do you guys think of that? I can't beleive it, maybe it's true. lol.

The circled part of the write up states

"Corvette owners are a different crowd," he said. "there more cliquey.
"Camero owners are more laid back and they're more friendly." he said. "Your car's an extension of your personality."

:where's one from a different paper:
NiagaraThisWeek Article: Love of Camaros unites ‘laid back’ car enthusiasts

Apparantly they interviewed Dale Oldham, president of the Ontario Camaro Club. That is his quote. He's a Camaro guy !! What would you expect?:boogie

Hmmm....change how the public perceives Corvette owners? Well, not really. I think Camaro has more of a public perception problem dontcha think? Right or wrong, too often when one thinks "Camaro" the image of 92 IROCs, mullets and wife-beaters come to mind. Hopefully the new Camaro can change that....it does have a Corvette engine afterall. :D

Are we cliquish? Well, I don't think that Camaro owners wave at each other for the most part, so maybe so. I think that's just because we know just how special a car the Corvette is. I went to high school in the second half of the 70s. Back then Camaros/Firebirds in all their variants were EVERYWHERE. Hell, I was one of them with a '79 Trans Am. At my school, there was only ONE guy with a Corvette. We all envied him. :thumb

Hmmm....change how the public perceives Corvette owners? Well, not really. I think Camaro has more of a public perception problem dontcha think? Right or wrong, too often when one thinks "Camaro" the image of 92 IROCs, mullets and wife-beaters come to mind. Hopefully the new Camaro can change that....it does have a Corvette engine afterall. :D

Are we cliquish? Well, I don't think that Camaro owners wave at each other for the most part, so maybe so. I think that's just because we know just how special a car the Corvette is. I went to high school in the second half of the 70s. Back then Camaros/Firebirds in all their variants were EVERYWHERE. Hell, I was one of them with a '79 Trans Am. At my school, there was only ONE guy with a Corvette. We all envied him. :thumb

I was kinda leaning towards buying Camero prior to buying the Vette. My thinking was that we could all go out as a family in a vert and still have fun when the kids were doing other things.

Then my wife smacked me in the head and said you always wanted another Vette and would not be happy with a Camero. Wives are pretty smart you know. She was right, I would not be happy. Besides she did not like the appearance of the old Camero. I have to agree. Nothing like a Vette I tell ya.

The first thing that comes to my mind when I think Camero is a too cool young Italian Stallion and gold chains.

One day I have to remember to bring a Camera to work. Its really funnny, all the guys park there Cameros way out in the parking lot on an angle. I have to laugh because I say to myself what do they think? they own a Vette, it's just a Camero. The Vette owners I work with would never even think of driving there cars to work and leaving them in the parking lot.

Like "Fullback32," I've been a member of both driver's groups: F-body (in my case, Firebird) and Corvette. Personally, I haven't found either group to be more or less friendly (or cliquish, depending on how you want to view it) than the other. Except Corvette owners usually wave to each other on the road... :w Not so with the F-body owners... Now, which group would a casual, outside observer think is more friendly...?

I will also say this: hands down, the Corvette is the better car! If I had ~$40k to spend on a car, and my only choices were a brand new Camaro or a gently used C6, I'd take the C6 without hesitation... :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom