Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do You Remember Your First Wave?

fine69

Corvette
'69 Convertible Vette; '72 Z28 Camaro Rally Sport
Do you remember your first wave? :w

Recognizing that Corvette owners have a camaraderie unlike most other muscle or sports car groups, it seems to me that most of us would remember their first wave... probably similar to a newly commissioned officer remembering his/her first salute.

I think it would be interesting to hear your story. For me, it was when driving home back home to Maryland after buying my Corvette in Fredericksburg, VA.

Around 9:30 pm I was on I-95 North getting close to the Capital Beltway... a white or silver C4 came up behind me, and as he passed me - he waved. At the time, I wasn’t sure what he trying to tell me… I actually thought he was signaling me that something was wrong (lights malfunctioning, etc.)…;shrug

It finally made sense to me the next day when I got more waves… HOW COOL!

I remember mine because it was just this past Memorial Day weekend. I had my 14 yr old daughter with me as we were heading to home depot. It was a silver C5 with an older gentleman driving. We both waved at each other and my daughter asked me, "Do you know that guy?" Of course, I said "No". She wanted to know why I waved at a complete stranger. Then I explained to her about corvette family and respect. She understands but doesn't. You know? I think she still is a little to young to comprehend the real meaning behind it. But it was cute and I so enjoy spending quality time like this with my daughters and getting them involved because some day they may own this Vette. The amusing thing is, we saw two additional Vette's in our travels...

Mine was about a week after I purchased the car, I was just crusing around town with my wife in the late evening and we passed a C5 coming in the other direction. I had the T-tops off and saw then driver of the C5 wave so I stuck my hand out the top and waved back. I also got the question from my wife, "do you know that guy" and I responded "no but he must think we have a cool car because he waved". It was about a week later I discovered the CAC and found out about the wave. I have gotten lots since and always give the wave.

We had just picked up our '71 in Costa Mesa, CA, and was driving South on I-5, when a lady in what appeared to be a brand new Z06 came up beside us and waved with the biggest grin I think I ever had seen before. She paused for a few seconds, just looking the car over, and then sped away in the fast lane....What a hoot!!!

:)

sure do remember, even though the guy in the c5 didnt wave back. but a week later a guy in a red c6 gave me the wave and i waved back.:w

the first time I saw "the wave" was way back in 1965! My cousin Ray had a neat red '60 at the time, and we used to hang out together (at the time, he was 20 and I was 17). I asked the same question..."do you know him?"...and he explained the whole wave-thing to me. I thought it was kind of neat.

Didn't experience it myself for over 40 years! Bought my first Vette ('81) last summer, and had a couple of "waves" on the way home with it!
:w

Yes, I was at Michigan International Speedway for the spring race in 2001. It was awesome to see the wave start in trun 3, then into turn 4, down the front stretch through the tri-oval, and into turn 1. I was seated between the tri-oval and turn 1. I was amazing to see 170,000+ doing the wave. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.

Oh boy do I. I was driving in the 78 with my girlfriend one summer day. An attractive blonde driving a very red shark with the top down, enthusiastically waved back. I continued driving a ways and casually looked at my girlfriend.
She was staring a hole through me. She asked, in a very controlled voice, "Who was that?" I replied who? She said "The girl you waved at."
I said I have no idea. She, obviously didn't believe me. After a while, I realized that she was talking about the Corvette I waved at and that the driver ( barely noticed her ) was a girl. Some days passed and I was working on her car, so she drove the 78 to run an errand. When she returned, she appologized for not believing me and said she understood. She then indicated she herself was being waved at by every passing Vette.
We have been married for 24 years.

I remember it well. I was driving my Vette in '73 and a mid-year waved at me. I wasn't sure why but my sister told me about the fraternity of Vette's. I've been waving ever since. It seems that some of the new guys don't get it.

I remember it well. I was driving my Vette in '73 and a mid-year waved at me. I wasn't sure why but my sister told me about the fraternity of Vette's. I've been waving ever since. It seems that some of the new guys don't get it.

Well today most people are not worried about being friendly, traditions, or courtesy. Today most drivers are worried cell phones, text messaging, drinking some kind of beverage, eating, changing the radio station, changing the CD, brushing teeth, putting on makeup (women), shaving (men), changing clothes, holding the dog, reading a magazine or newspaper, trying to figure out the navagation system, reading a map, worrying with a kid all while trying to drive. They simply don't have enough time to wave, they don't have a free hand to wave, they don't have their eyes on the road to see you.

Driving a car on today's roads is not the number one priority for some people. It is a 2nd priority or even further down the scale for some.

And yes, I have seen most of those task being done while a person is tring to drive. There may even be others that I have not mentioned.

The first time for me a C5 blink their lights. It was too dark to see a wave. I wasn't sure what the hell was goingon, but caughton pretty fast and now wave at all Corvettes seen. I have gotten waves from C3's, 4's, 5's, and fellow 6's. I have not meet any C1's or 2's on the highways, and byways yet, but they are sure to get a wave from me.:w:w

i remeber mine, i had just gotten my car and it was running BAD i was not far from my house and a line of 4 vettes came rolling by me including a C1 i felt like a giddy little school girl as they all waved to me as they rolled by.. :w

dont see a lot of waving here in san antonio.

the people here must be too self absorbed to know what is going on around them.

the first time I saw "the wave" was way back in 1965! My cousin Ray had a neat red '60 at the time, and we used to hang out together (at the time, he was 20 and I was 17). I asked the same question..."do you know him?"...and he explained the whole wave-thing to me. I thought it was kind of neat.

Didn't experience it myself for over 40 years! Bought my first Vette ('81) last summer, and had a couple of "waves" on the way home with it!
:w

:w:w:w:wHey Herron, your story is just like mine. I had a good friend at Motorola in Chicago on Augusta Blvd when I worked there in the late 50's he had a 56 that he drove every where. My wife would always have to work on Sat's. I would go over to his house and help him work on his Vette. It was a Red one. I was on cloud nine when I rode around with him. The same thing happened to me. The first time I saw the wave, I asked him if he knew the guy, and the explanation was the same about the wave. After that when I saw a Vette when I was with him I would wave also. Here it is 50 yrs later and I have my own Vette, and I have not forgot the wave.:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w:w. Scott

I don't recall waving at anyone in my first Corvette, though there were not many Corvettes around where I lived at the time.

I do remember the first time I waived at someone with my sister in the car. I was driving my '96 and I waived at a guy in a C5. He waived back, and my sister asked if I knew him. I told her no, and explained the waive to her. We got to my Grandmothers house and she told the story to my Grandmother. Turns out that when my Grandmother and Grandfather were dating, my Grandfather had an MG. They would waive at other MG's all the time. :)

Jason

I recall my first wave coming from an older guy driving a beautiful '57. I've heard the rumors about the guys driving the newer generation Corvettes snubbing those of us who drive the more vintage cars... but I've never heard or experienced someone in the oldest Corvettes snubbing me or anyone. Incidentally I've yet to experience the snub from the newer generations... just heard the rumors.

First wave!

Don't worry if the owner of a new vette is too much of a snob to wave, they see my 74 as nothing to compare with there "HIGH TECH" ZO6. There was a day when my 66 427 could not be beat at Connecting Highway or Cross Island Highway, most of them were not born then.
Just keep the wave alive and someday they will understand! PG.

I was waving at (and getting return waves from) Corvette drivers before I knew there was such a thing as a Corvette Wave. After I found the Corvette Action Center and read about the History of the Wave, I was pleased to know I'd been carrying on a time honored tradition.

I don't remember my first specifically and other drivers don't always wave back but I continue the practice as a sign of respect for the Corvette.

BTW... I've gotten waves from drivers of each generation, including the C6.
Here's a wave for anyone I may have overlooked due to fatigue, traffic or whatever.
:wJane Ann

Here's a wave for anyone I may have overlooked due to fatigue, traffic or whatever.
:wJane Ann

Thanks Jane Ann........back at you! :w Your comments remind me of one of the local vette owners.

Most mornings I pass the same woman in a red C5 vert and every morning I give her a wave. I just know that some day she'll wave back!:chuckle

Dennis

Remember it like it was yesterday. I had owned the 71 convertible about an hour and was driving it home with the top down and my wife following close behind. I was on northbound US-1 in Stafford, Virginia and was stopped at a light when a blue C4 pulled up to the light in the southbound lane. Light turned green and I nearly broke my arm getting it raised up. The C4 driver kindly returned as I grinned from ear to ear.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom