Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Do you shift to neutral at stoplights?

KGjevre

I had my 2002 Z06 w/6K miles in for some warranty work (column lock recall, right door not unlocking, bad washer fluid censor, etc) and complained about how it sometimes will not go into 1st gear when I get the green light at a stop light and I have to start from 2nd.

It is the case where it goes halfway into first but not fully in and will pop back out if you let the clutch out. I got a technician to try it while I was there and he reproduced it a few times, and called GM tech support center (or whatever it is called) about this, but the end result is to drive it some more for now which I am not happy with.

Anyhow, when you come to a stop light that you know will be long as you arrive for example right as it turns red, do you shift to neutral and let the clutch out, or leave it in 1st gear with the clutch pressed to the floor?

I wonder if the user manual says anything about this...

-kg

I always shift to neutral when I'm at a light. Who wants to hold the clutch in that long? :)

Make sure you push it all the way up to first...the Corvette shifter is a little less smooth than other cars. I had this happen once when I first got my car, because I was used to my Camaro...same transmission, but the Camaro's shifter is mounted right on the transmission rather than through the linkages, so it seems to slide into gear much easier. After that I started just pushing harder to get it to click into first.

Maybe that will help, maybe not.

-Dave C. '04 Z06

Oh yea: Another thing you can try is that if it doesn't push forward sometimes, just click it into fourth and then back to first... that should align the synchos. You can do this if it has trouble with reverse also.

I shift into neutral at lights.

Somewhere I heard that it might be a good thing to do.

I've occasionally had it pop out of 1st or 2nd after a shift; usually when I didn't fully depress the clutch or if I didn't get the shifter firmly pushed into first all the way.

Tammy

I usually always shift into neutral at lights...... unless of course there is "competition" sitting next to me. THEN I most definitely keep it in gear and focus on that light to change......:D

Always in neutral with the clutch out.

KGjevre said:
I had my 2002 Z06 w/6K miles in for some warranty work (column lock recall, right door not unlocking, bad washer fluid censor, etc) and complained about how it sometimes will not go into 1st gear when I get the green light at a stop light and I have to start from 2nd.

It is the case where it goes halfway into first but not fully in and will pop back out if you let the clutch out. I got a technician to try it while I was there and he reproduced it a few times, and called GM tech support center (or whatever it is called) about this, but the end result is to drive it some more for now which I am not happy with.

Anyhow, when you come to a stop light that you know will be long as you arrive for example right as it turns red, do you shift to neutral and let the clutch out, or leave it in 1st gear with the clutch pressed to the floor?

-kg

I always shift into neutral at a light, until I see the light in the cross direction change to yellow. Then I plant it in gear and get set for takeoff. :D

I have experienced a similar issue- the shifter not wanting to plant itself in first gear, even when I have the clutch fully depressed. Generally, I cure this by shifting into second, and then trying to go back into first. It almost always works. Hope this helps.

:w
-Patrick

Z06s aren't the only vettes prone to that problem. I have it from time to time as well. Usually shifting into 2nd and then pushing it up into 1st works. I think even the owner's manual says to do that.

chevyaddict said:
I usually always shift into neutral at lights...... unless of course there is "competition" sitting next to me. THEN I most definitely keep it in gear and focus on that light to change......:D
Oh, hell yeah!! :_rock

-Dave C. '04 Z06

I'm the oddball (hold your toungue, Tammy :D) since I never shift to neutral at lights.

Guy

I very rarely shift to neutral at lights, if ever! The few times I can remember, I forgot it was in neutral and went to take off looking like a fool and ever so slowly going backwards.

That doesn't look too cool!

Chuck

I always shift to neutral at traffic lights. Then into first as I anticipate the light changing. Shift to first has always been smooth and it has yet to pop out of gear, thank goodness.

KGjevre said:

-kg

Why............ yes, especially in my '67.

I don't know about where you are, but in South Florida we sometimes have some looooooooooooooong intervals between light changes.

Pedro

Somewhere in the old ZR-1 manual, it refers to this issue. Has to do with everything in the transmission "sitting still" when the car is stopped. Happens in first and reverse.

They say to go to neutral, and let the clutch out for a moment to "spin" the shaft, and shifting is very easy. I have done this numerous times and it always works.

Perhaps this will help you folks.

Regards,

shifting to neutral at long lights

You're right, I not only put in neutral at lights, I usually have it in neutral and coast to a stop with any vehicle drive.Unfortunately my vette isn't road worthy yet, hopefully it won't to long. JJoyal:pat

The only car I have drove a lot with a stick is my bros 73 455 TA and I definetly put that baby in neutral when I come up to a stop light, the clutch is like a rock on that car. No fun to hold it in at a light.

Since I live in Florida it is no problem shifting to neutral with clucth out at lights. I don't have to worry about rolling anywhere!!!

DTWalker,

I have to admit, my secret fear when I pull up to a light or a stop sign on an incline is that the person who pulls up behind me will pull up so close that in the brief interval between when I take my foot off the brake, and when I step on the gas/take my foot off the clutch, I'll end up drifting backwards into him. Knock on wood, it hasn't happened yet. But we definately don't have flat land here in Colorado.

BTW, welcome to the CAC!

-Patrick

With all my other Corvettes I got used to using the hand brake with the clutch on hills. Don't have to worry too much now in FL. We don't have any hills but we also don't have many corners either (boo hoo) for the bikes too!!!

Thanks for the welcome!!

I'm with the majority here... always shift into neutral at lights.

My clutch is in and im in first. Your all a bunch of whimps its not that hard. My camaro clutch is a rock cause its so worn. You get used to it. The vette clutch is light as a feather.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom