Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Does anyone have any experience/input on these wheels/tires ?

tpm question

I still don't understand how you can change all these tires and not have a problem with the tire sensors. I am new to C5 but was told that the 2000 Vette was one that the sensors could not be turned off and GM says that if you go with anything but original style Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-EMT, the sensors may not work properly. A flashing warning light and warning bell would drive me crazy if they were not working properly. This car has so many sensors and computers that I am afraid to touch anything. My 75 seems more and more simple as I get into this C5.

Yes you can with a tech II any dealership can if they want turn off the tire sensor portion of the computer so it lays dormant like a C5 Z06 has....

a ton of guys with C5 Z06's put the sensors in non runflat tires and have the pcm "woken' up so to speak..

I personally like not having sensors so if I get a flat I have the option of putting in the 4 dollar can of inflate a tire if I want to..

But a lot of guys like the sensors in their non runflat tires...

and using any type of tyre works fine with the sensors as far as I've seen and read about on the net..

In my 1999 C5 I picked up a set of non runflat michelin pilots from one of the guys on the net...(shipped to me) and I have to tell you the sensors worked fine and the ride and handling improvement was out of this world...

I did change the alignment settings to the z06 though becuase the tires had a more traditional characteristic than a runflat design...(not as stiff a sidewall)

I remember driving around on the michelin non runflat laughing my @ss off...

It was like driving on velvet...The ride was that smooth and there was no sideway jump when cornering and hitting a bump mid corner...

That was a great improvement..

GOod luck

I still don't understand how you can change all these tires and not have a problem with the tire sensors. I am new to C5 but was told that the 2000 Vette was one that the sensors could not be turned off and GM says that if you go with anything but original style Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-EMT, the sensors may not work properly. A flashing warning light and warning bell would drive me crazy if they were not working properly. This car has so many sensors and computers that I am afraid to touch anything. My 75 seems more and more simple as I get into this C5.

I believe JBsC5 is correct. The sensors are associated with the valve stems. They are some type of pressure transducer and transmitter. They don't care what type of tire is around them.

I believe JBsC5 is correct. The sensors are associated with the valve stems. They are some type of pressure transducer and transmitter. They don't care what type of tire is around them.

I read here in the Tech Center, a GM mechanic notice that if the replacement tires had too much or some type of metal fibers/bands in them they could block the radio signal from the tire sensors back to the computer reciever in the dash. That has something to do with the GS rating on the factory Goodyears. I hate the way these tires ride. I do not intend on driving this vehicle to its limits and would rather the smooth ride.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom