Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Door Key duplication

morganqd

Corvette
1986 Metallic Silver Coupe
Sad to say but im a tool and lost my only door key to my 1986 C4 corvette. I have plenty ignition keys which are cut different and has the built in resistor for the vats. I was told (not sure if true) I could remove one of the door lock cylinders and take it to a locksmith to have a key duplicated if it has a lock code stamped on it. Is this true for the C4 corvettes and if does anyone know someone who has done it?

Can you remove one of the key locks from rear hatch storage boxes instead of taking the door apart?

Yes I can remove the lock cylinders from the hatch will that do? I'm wondering can a locksmith use that cylinder or is it best to use the door cylinder?

Yes I can remove the lock cylinders from the hatch will that do? I'm wondering can a locksmith use that cylinder or is it best to use the door cylinder?
Yes a good locksmith can make you a key from the tumbler

be sure to get dupes of both keys and keep them in your wallet.
you can guess how I learned to do this.

I know on my 93 I can simply use the VIN and have keys made as long as they are original. I just bought a couple of sets and that was an option they offered was to cut the keys from the Vin number. You have to send them proof of ownership if you choose that option.

Thanks wit all the input yea I did try callin the dealer with the VIN they said that applies for 90 and up vettes so that option was out the window. I think im going to take the tumbler from the trunk compartments to a locksmith and that should do it hopefully.

sad to say but im a tool and lost my only door key to my 1986 c4 corvette. I have plenty ignition keys which are cut different and has the built in resistor for the vats. I was told (not sure if true) i could remove one of the door lock cylinders and take it to a locksmith to have a key duplicated if it has a lock code stamped on it. Is this true for the c4 corvettes and if does anyone know someone who has done it?
you can have your chevy dealer cut you a door key from your vin #. I had to have it done also. No big deal

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom