Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

door panel carpet removal/installation

Corvette
1986 Bright Red Coupe
I got a good deal on a used replacement panel for my driver's door but the carpet is toast on it. I was planning to swap the pieces from mine to the new one; however, when taking the junk carpet off the new panel, it didn't come off at all cleanly. Before I destroy the decent carpet on the old panel, does anyone have any suggestions for its easy removal (or a place that will sell me just that carpet piece? All the online stores I checked want to sell me the whole panel). And what glue would be best? I was planning on a generic 3M carpet glue from Home Despot or similar.

Thanks!
[RICHR]

Heat helps when removing the glued-on interior pieces. The 3M adhesives you mentioned will work fine.

As for acquiring the carpet piece for the doors, I can't help you there Rich. I don't know if anyone breaks up a kit either. Have you tried Auto Accessories of America at 800-458-3475? They might split up a set. ;)

_ken :w

After posting, I happened to be glancing through my Mid-America catalog and they sell just the door carpets for abot $50 a pair. If I destroy mine, that'll be a simple (though not really cheap) solution.

Thanks for the heat suggestion - I'll check into renting/borrowing a heat gun. Our hairdryers are low-power :)
[RICHR]

Stick with hairdryers (The heat isn't as intense)

Don't use a heat gun man! You'll melt the carpet before that glue will let go! TRUST been there done that on my friends 626 Cronos we did a competition stereo in (Kick Panels) (We used a Heat gun for removing decals.. Not pretty we ending up replacing the carpet)

The best way it with the SHARPEST knife you have and a Acetone solvent to help soften the glue (Being careful again of the carpet)

Im telling you bud that stuff LIGHTS like wildfire! then melts then hurts ya and you end up with scars on your hands (Not pretty)

A Drywallers putty knife or a Banana Knife works great to get between the carpet and the panel.

Yo Red, I redid my complete interior last year, used a heat gun on several areas, never had a problem. Just hafta be careful with it. ;)

Lol must be an experience thing Hehe that was the first and only time I used a heat gun Lol

I didnt want to Relive the first experience..

But you know this is a good example. I don't have anyone to learn off I have to learn on my own or off the few people for short times I come across..

After destroying my Jetta (Car #1) and getting it better on the SunBird Ive grown since then

Now I do Comp stereos, backyard Mechanical, and Im attempting Body (This might be awhile in the process Body isnt knowledge so much but more of an Art!) (My project cars are a Honda Prelude, 70 Goat (Not to to much on that) and a 69 Cutlass Supreme)

I do what I know Lol but if you say the heat gun works I'll try it again (Been a few years since last attempt) Id like to strip ALL my carpet next year and thats what I'll try first

Most guns have three settings for the amount of heat desired. ;)

I had to teach myself everything too Red, that's why I shudder when we speak of weatherstripping. :L

Ok, wish me luck... got a heat gun (two settings - they wanted $30 more for one with three, and the lowest was still the same).
[RICHR]

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom