Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Driving That C5 In The Snow?

Last Friday I was in KC taking the GF out to dinner. We'd had a freak warm day (60+ degrees) the previous day, so I cut out of work early and did a full wash & wax detail on my car (not relevant to the story, but I was pissed when my car got dirty). While we were eating it dropped about an inch and a half of snow (I had no idea it was going to). We left the restaurant by way of a side street and drove to the light where we wanted to turn left onto the main divided 4 lane road, we were 2nd in line behind a Porche Cayenne S. We get the green arrow and the Porsche doesn't move. I thought maybe he was napping and bipped the horn. Still there. Then I noticed that the car/truck seemed to be swaying and I realized that he was spinning all four tires - amazing since the incline was very, very mild, but to be fair, the streets were surprisingly slick. So we missed that light. The next time around, same thing happened. Since there was no other traffic I swung around him and made the light. The amazing thing was that he took the time to flash his lights, roll down the window, stick his arm out, and flip me off. I guess he was slightly perturbed that a 2 wheel drive sports car was getting around better then his $60K SUV.

Here's a pic of my car at work yesterday (paltry 2" snow), but my buddy had to ride in with me, his BMW couldn't get out of our neighborhood ;LOL. I've said it once, I'll say it again, for winter driving it's all about the tires.

Snow%20Vette.jpg

Snow%20Vette.jpg

Good Winter Driving Plan

If you live in the snow belt and just have to take the Vette out, do what this guy does. Back it out, take a picture, then put it right back in the garage.
Remo:cool

100_5455.jpg

Hey peeps, wuzzup? Missed ya (dang life-getting-in-the-way-of-my-personal-life)!

This is as much snow as I ever want to see on Big Red. Happened 2 winters ago when we lived in Reno - came out from work to an unforseen blizzard and managed to accumulate about an inch on the 2-mile, 45-minute drive home. Thank goodness it was all downhill (slightly). The next day I drove The Terminator ('74 Jeep Wagoneer) to work and dared anyone to hit me...

DSCN1270.jpg

DSCN1271.jpg

My C5 is my daily driver, so it sees plenty of snow. Here is a pic from this week when I drove it in a pretty big storm (about 5 inches of snow)

jan28.jpg

I did have a few incidents where I almost got stuck, or the back end started sliding out on me when climbing small inclines, but that's due to the awful Kumho ASX tires I've got on the back. I absolutely hate these tires, they are terrible in the snow. I had better luck with the OEM runflats in the snow!! (I'm not joking, I never got stuck once in the snow with them, nor did I ever have the back end start to come around on me)

I've got the new Goodyear Eagle F1 all seasons up front and they are very good in the snow, and this fall I will be buying a pair for the back, so I'll have much better luck in the snow next winter. In very big storms I usually borrow my mom's car, but I can't always count on that so I need to be prepared.

I know a lot of people think that it's bad to subject these cars to salt, but it hasn't hurt my car. The key is to get it washed frequently. I get a handwash at a local detail shop every Saturday morning in the cold winter months. Here is a before/after shot one Saturday from last winter:

100_0174.jpg

100_0176.jpg

A lot of people don't believe my car is 11 years old with over 100,000 miles on it! And they are definitely shocked when I tell them it's winter driven! These cars were meant to be enjoyed, and I simply enjoy driving mine way to much to limit myself to only driving it in nice weather. Even as a daily driver, I am not sick of this car at all, it's still incredibly fun to get behind the wheel every single day. I couldn't imagine commuting to work in anything else!

c5 worst nightmare is snow

:upthumbsif your vette has any hp over 400 you wont be driving in any snow, its hard enough to drive in rain

:upthumbsif your vette has any hp over 400 you wont be driving in any snow, its hard enough to drive in rain

It's not the horsepower that matters, it's the torque, and most people who have increased their power from 350 to 400 generally don't have 50 extra pounds feet of torque right off idle, so it's really no different to drive in the snow than a stock LS1. With automatics you can start in second which helps get you moving off the line in the winter without too much problems. (and obviously you can do the same with a manual, although you have to be very careful with letting out the clutch!)

Not Going Anywhere

Here's a pic from the inside of my garage after the last blizzard we experienced.

attachment.php

I used to drive my 63 Corvette skiing back in the 70s. Very dicy driving, even with studded snow tires.

Now My 2004 Z06 has been caught in the snow twice, and it scared me to death! I drive it every day, but leave it in the garage if there is snow or ice on our (Richland, WA) driveway when it's time to leave in the morning.
As mentioned, the problem is the tires. I run Michelin PS-2s, which are "not recommeded below 50 degrees F, and forbidden below 20 degrees F".
On cold dry pavement, I have no traction at all in the first three gears! The Tire Rack will refuse to sell you winter tires if you tell them they are for a Corvette. Snow driving is all about tires, but high centering is also an issue with low cars like Corvette...but I would park it long before that becomes an issue. I have a Subaru for snow. Each tool has a proper use.

The Tire Rack will refuse to sell you winter tires if you tell them they are for a Corvette.

Are you serious?! If that's true, that's pretty lame, and dangerous! So they'd rather have Corvette drivers heading out in the snow without proper snow tires? :mad

DRIVING CORVETTES IN SNOW

I'm on my 4th Corvette, 1 C3, 2 C4's and my current C5. I have driven all 4 as daily drivers, EVERY day of the year in Chicagoland for the past 26 years. Never been stuck, but close a couple of times. This year has been particularly snowfilled, but I get to work every day. Last winter, I was still on the original Good Year EMT's but this year I'm on Michelin All Weather EMT's. No problem so far.

Silverstreak04

Winter driving

I've been driving my 1999 C5 EVERY winter in Chicago since I bought the car 10 years ago! Never had a problem. Oh year...except for getting up my drive way when it's icy!! Argh!

Silverstreak and Mitchel I feel for you! My wife and I worked at Sargent and Lundy on Wabash in the loop from 1977 thryu 1980. We survived the Blizzard of 78 and then the Blizzard of 79 which put Jayne Burne in the Mayor's office. We had a guy there who drove to work EVERY day summer and winter on a Honda Gold Wing (with his wife on the back). The fact that he survived doesn't mean that it was a smart thing to do. You can drive a nail with a pair of pliers, but that isn't the best tool for that job. Snow driving is not the forte' of Corvettes.....that is best left to Subarus.

snow driving

Yep
I drive my C3 all year round. Live in Pennsylvania, most time the winters aren't bad but this year is kinda crappy.
I just take off work when there's more than an inch on the road.
The C3 is just like my Trans Am was, It'll go ya just can't steer the damn thing and ya can't put much steering into it or Yee Haa your going the other way. Don't know if the C5 is any better.

What To Do?

We're expecting around six to eight inches of snow on Wednesday. Now I could drive my Vette, because I'm sure I'm as good a driver as many of you brave guys on this thread. Or I could wimp out and drive my 4WD F-150 Ford pickup....hmmm let me think it over. I'll get back to you all.:L

We're expecting around six to eight inches of snow on Wednesday. Now I could drive my Vette, because I'm sure I'm as good a driver as many of you brave guys on this thread. Or I could wimp out and drive my 4WD F-150 Ford pickup....hmmm let me think it over. I'll get back to you all.:L

I'm drivin' my F150 4WD this week.Oh damn I don't have a choice ,my vetts in Florida .I know i'll get a direct Southwest flight ($79 )for next weekend.Your welcome to be my neighbor next year Remo .Cheaper than meds and a lot more fun.:thumb

[B said:
63Corvette][/b]
The Tire Rack will refuse to sell you winter tires if you tell them they are for a Corvette.
Are you serious?! If that's true, that's pretty lame, and dangerous! So they'd rather have Corvette drivers heading out in the snow without proper snow tires? :mad

That's not true Pat, don't worry. I assume 63Cor was just kidding. I bought my Goodyear EMT M&S's from TireRack.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom