Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Drove a '96 CE Coupe today!! .......yeeha!!

JT ZR-Won

Corvette
'90 ZR-1 #3010
That LT-4 moves! Took it over the Causeway Bridge into Clearwater today. My buddy asked me if I wanted to drive and I ........took the keys happily:) You really have to be movin' to use 6th......what a rush!! Smooth ride. The tri-flows sound great too!.......just thought I'd share that

LOL, cool! The LT4 is a great engine. 6th gear on the ZF is a very tall gear and great for highway cruising, but don't expect to feel much torque in 6th gear. :)

I love being in 6th gear my self. It means I'm doing at least 80. Unfortunatly, I dont get the chance to do that speed unless I'm driving long distances.

It's been my experience that 80 in 6th gear runs the engine at about 1900-2000 RPM. 100 is a little over 2500 RPM if I remember correctly.

Got to love the LT4!

Even with 4.10 gears, 70 mph in 6th gear only revs the engine to 1900 RPM, leaving plenty of room for the top end. Gotta love that ZF s-speed!

I reached a higher speed using 5th gear. 6th gear didn't seem to have the oomph to go much faster than 110. I hit 120 in 5th and then had to slow for my turn off.

Speed Demons

Oh what speed demons over here on this LT4 forum......my '81 only goes to 85 hahahahah
(no matter how fast I go) Dale

Glen,

Now that you mention it, I've always been in 5th when i did any high speed driving. I imagine you would have to hit 170+ to top out 5th (I've hit about 135 easily in 5th), and you are probably right, 6th would loose speed.

Dale,

If you got rid of that whimpy 85mph speedo (and no I dont mean your swim suit!) you would go faster!:D

I have often had the GS and the ZR-1 to 145mph in 4th (~5,800rpm) at the track. Not enough room to shift to 5th.

You know that famous ZR-1 slogan, "Life begins at 180?" Well, those LT5 equipped cars aren't the only ones capable of that kinda speed. See http://www.hashmarks.com/photos/180speedo.jpg. :D

Interestingly enough top speed in an unmodified LT4 Corvette is attained in 5th gear, not 6th. Not enough oomph to overcome air drag at that 50% reduction in 6th gear. Don't know what my actual top speed would be since I've had the 4.10 gears installed. Not really anxious to find out, either, as hyperspeed is pretty scary to an old fart like me. Things happen very quickly at that speed. It would be a real gas to do an event like the Silver State Classic, though.

Originaly posted by gs633
Don't know what my actual top speed would be since I've had the 4.10 gears installed. Not really anxious to find out, either, as hyperspeed is pretty scary to an old fart like me

Hutch,

Does that mean the 180mph pic is not the Wild Thing? Or was it just before you had the 4.10's installed?

Also, do you notice anything fimilair about the GS in the top left corner of the page?;)

LT4 speeds

I have got to get an LT4 :D
Been trying to talk the wife into trading her 95 LT1 in for a Grand Sport (converitable), no luck yet!
She wants a C-5 Roadster instead :confused:

[Edited by fastglass95 on 02-14-2001 at 10:07 PM]

Re: LT4 speeds

fastglass95 said:
Been trying to talk the wife into trading her 95 LT1 in for a Grand Sport (converitable), no luck yet! She wants a C-5 Roadster instead

Zillions of C5 convertibles out there, but only 190 lucky few have a GS droptop, and only 53 of us have 'em with red guts! :D

-Hutch-
hutch@hashmarks.com

twiget said:
Does that mean the 180mph pic is not the Wild Thing? Or was it just before you had the 4.10's installed?

Also, do you notice anything fimilair about the GS in the top left corner of the page?;)

Sorry, but I can neither confirm nor deny that 180 mph speedo pic. Patti might read this thread! :) I will add that the WildThing has over 30K miles on it now, though. ;)

BTW, 180 mph in 6th gear *is* possible even with 4.10 gears. With the 50% overdrive of 6th, its really more a matter of horsepower than anything else. Mathematically, 180 mph in 6th gear with 4.10 gears and 315x35 tires, you *should* only be turning 4832 RPM. Of course, this doesn't take into account little things like air resistance, rolling resistance, and driver resistance to death and dismemberment! :D

-Hutch-
hutch@hashmarks.com

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom