Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dual Gate type shifter for '94 LT1 automatic?

D

designeraccd

I have searched both Hurst and B+M to see if a "dual gate" shifter exists that works properly on my '94's automatic. So far...no luck. Does anybody know of a shifter like this that would make manual 1 gear at a time positive shifting possible on my Vette's automatic? The stock straight line shifter sure doesn't inspire confidence. TIA DFO:confused

I hate to see a question languishing here so ...

No there is no gate shifter I have ever heard of. It begs the question- what do mean dissing our beloved A4? The shifter has positive shifts up and down the gate for me, with a lock only in D I think.

You would do well to take the console plate off and clean and lube the shifter. It will make the detents crisper and may satisfy your need for better feeling manual shifts.

Cheers

I am somewhat confused too by the question. I am sure it is different but all I have to do is push the button down and move it out of OD into any other gear that I want and it is fine...

Hmmm, sounds like perhaps I'm dating myself: the straight line shifter typical of the Vette or my Accord V6 coupe does not allow for fast, positive, one gear (only) up or down shifting. A dual gate style shifter has a seperate "slot" which allows a very quick up or downshift of only one gear at a time. The Corvette shifter, up until the newly availible paddle shifters in the '06 C6 can be dropped more than one gear, for example, as it does not have a seperate slot.....and that can lead to some "interesting" results.

I was manually shifting a straight line GM 3 speed Turbohydro 350 in a demo '69 Olds Cutlass I had when I hit nuetral at high speed (82mph IIRC)..... The results were somewhat spectacular when the temp sensing unit literally unscrewed itself from the engine block followed by lots of very hot coolant! Yup, buying a demo is always a good way to get a "deal", uh-huh. When the steam cleared I opened the hood and found the sensor hanging by its wire and manually screwed it back into the engine. Rolled her over to a nearby gas station, added H2O and away I went.......... OTOH a buddy with his '68 Hurst Olds could not do that thanks to his Hurst dual gate shifter that was slotted to positively allow only one gear up or down at a time plus it had the typical straight line (like our Corvettes) to allow automatic shifting. The straight line is not conducive to using an automatic manually thru curves with fast, precise shifts. Hence the question.......DFO

I remember those Olds shifters! Our cars are different. When you downshift the trans engages. When you upshift at higher throttle the computer shifts at certain rpms, not before, unless you have a shift kit or are going slow.

On twisties it stays in 2nd (you can hit near 80) or up to 3rd on the straights. It handles great with 2 hands on the wheel.

I just don't see a real fault in the shifter. If you want to shift all the time a 6 speed might be more fun for you.

I'm sure a 6 speed would be nice, but I missed on getting a '94 Admiral Blue one. OTOH my '94 Artic White is very nice and feels much better than my '87 did, just miss the ability to easily and accurately control what gear I'm in going into or out of curves. OTOH my MSM MX-5, now that I have Red Line full synthetic in her trans, does that very nicely....but of course not the same oomph as a Vette. However, the variety/contrast between those two cars is interesting too. At this point, after 4 Miatas, I simply know how to safely...uh.."move" with them on twisty backroads! The C4 I'm just starting to learn. DFO

Dual Gate Shifter

I have searched both Hurst and B+M to see if a "dual gate" shifter exists that works properly on my '94's automatic. So far...no luck. Does anybody know of a shifter like this that would make manual 1 gear at a time positive shifting possible on my Vette's automatic? The stock straight line shifter sure doesn't inspire confidence. TIA DFO:confused

A Dual Gate was set up for a three speed automatic. The Hurst Lightning Rods are for manufactured for both three and four speed autos. They use three separate shifter levers to accomplish this. You can drive on the one stick only if you are not wishing to have to manually shift each time. Otherwise you take the main stick and move it into the drive position, move the second stick back into a second to third shift position and the other stick into a first to second shift position. Lightning Rods look like a Lenco setup. You up shift using the far 1/2 stick, then the middle 2/3 stick and if you need the fourth gear you use the third stick. The shifter is designed for drag racing purposes and they work great. I have seen photos of them installed on a C3. I have a set for my 63 in case I ever switch to a four speed auto. Right now my Dual Gate shifter is at Hurst/B&&M for rebuild before I install it for the TH350 I have in the car now.

Just get a ratchet shifter like a B&M Quicksilver.
Will only allow 1 gear at a time manual shifts ; up or down

. Lacks cool factor.
:confused
When you dragged this 5 YEAR OLD thread out of the murk I didn't see anywhere where the OP was looking for anything other than functunality

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom