Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Duck..............................Incoming.

Corvette
www.67HEAVEN.com
1967Corvette-L88-Survivor-p1.jpg

1967Corvette-L88-Survivor-p2.jpg

1967Corvette-L88-Survivor-p3.jpg

'Heaven,

I have never even heard of that Magazine did it evolve into another? Seems you guys had all the good stuff in the old days, seems like every corvette show used to have an Autocross, a big party, and a wet-t shirt contest, or from what I gather from all the old Corvette News I have been reading.

Tom M

Sting Ray said:
'Heaven,

I have never even heard of that Magazine did it evolve into another? Seems you guys had all the good stuff in the old days, seems like every corvette show used to have an Autocross, a big party, and a wet-t shirt contest, or from what I gather from all the old Corvette News I have been reading.

Tom M

It's true, it's true! We did all that! But, to tell you the truth, I always looked lousy in a wet tee shirt...never won a trophy for that, either!;)

This is believable given it's racing history. Why would they make it up? In 1977 nobody in NCRS gave a rat's butt about midyear numbers. They were just used Corvettes like a '95 would be today.

I also remember this magazine and the author. He wrote for others too but the mag wasn't around long.

Funny. That car would've been immediately sealed up in climate-controlled collection if it was "discovered" in 2005 and not 1977. At least the owner got to enjoy it back then.

Vince

I've still got that one. Volume 1, 1977. I used to stare and drool at that car! Hot Rod Magazine published a Corvette only pictorial once a year.

Later,
JU

Yes, I now remember that it was a Hot Rod special issue. I'll bet that I have them too. Thanks for jogging the old mind.

Bob, I'm confused about a couple of things in this article. At one point it says "...there were 20 C-48's produced, 16 of them with the aluminum head engines...". At a later point in the article, it says "Of the 16 aluminum head L-88's that rolled out to do battle in 1967, only three survive today...".

Isn't this confusing the L-88 with the L-89, since there were 16 L-89's (i.e., 16 L-71's with aluminum heads) and 20 L-88's? I wasn't aware that of the 20 L-88's, 16 of them had aluminum heads, which is what the article seems to be saying.

:confused

P.S. The production figures actually show that there were 35 C-48's (heater/defroster delete). I think we can all infer that 20 of the 35 were the L-88's. But I'm not sure that the other 15 C-48's necessarily were L-89's. Makes things more confusing.

SMR 67 said:
Bob, I'm confused about a couple of things in this article. At one point it says "...there were 20 C-48's produced, 16 of them with the aluminum head engines...". At a later point in the article, it says "Of the 16 aluminum head L-88's that rolled out to do battle in 1967, only three survive today...".

Isn't this confusing the L-88 with the L-89, since there were 16 L-89's (i.e., 16 L-71's with aluminum heads) and 20 L-88's? I wasn't aware that of the 20 L-88's, 16 of them had aluminum heads, which is what the article seems to be saying.

:confused

P.S. The production figures actually show that there were 35 C-48's (heater/defroster delete). I think we can all infer that 20 of the 35 were the L-88's. But I'm not sure that the other 15 C-48's necessarily were L-89's. Makes things more confusing.

You're absolutely correct. Much has been discovered and/or clarified since this article was published in 1977. ;) This is simply a look back in time.

It is interesting that the performance numbers do not compare favorably to the ZR1 or Z06 (C5, much less C6).

0-60 5.5 seconds
1/4 mile 13.8 @ 104
top speed 143.

DRTH VTR said:
It is interesting that the performance numbers do not compare favorably to the ZR1 or Z06 (C5, much less C6).

0-60 5.5 seconds
1/4 mile 13.8 @ 104
top speed 143.

A close reading of the right-hand column (page two of the article) will reveal that these numbers were for the L-71, not the L-88 in 1967. They were also conducted on 7.75x15" bias-ply tires (6" wide non-radial tires) that were the rough equivalent of wooden wagon wheels. ;)

Although the L-88 was never designed as a 1/4 mile car, if any of you folks ever run up against a real L-88 12.5:1 engine, with a competent driver and half decent tires, better put on your best possible performance.

You'll need to. ;)

67HEAVEN said:
A close reading of the right-hand column (page two of the article) will reveal that these numbers were for the L-71, not the L-88 in 1967. They were also conducted on 7.75x15" bias-ply tires (6" wide non-radial tires) that were the rough equivalent of wooden wagon wheels. ;)

I see that you are correct. I still wonder what the gross output of that engine was, using today's standards.

The ones we dyno'd were 575 -580 HP and with the AL heads it went way down (no heat retentation). The Hemi's ate their lunch at the dragstrip putting out close to 600HP. The MPH turned in the 1/4 were a good measure; the Chevys at 123-125and the Hemis at 129-130. Also, the 1st design L-88 valve springs were good for maybe 3 passes before #3 or #6 piston came out the side of the block. The valve train was very poorly designed (cheap) by GM for any severe duty use.

Ken Anderson said:
The ones we dyno'd were 575 -580 HP and with the AL heads it went way down (no heat retentation). The Hemi's ate their lunch at the dragstrip putting out close to 600HP. The MPH turned in the 1/4 were a good measure; the Chevys at 123-125and the Hemis at 129-130. Also, the 1st design L-88 valve springs were good for maybe 3 passes before #3 or #6 piston came out the side of the block. The valve train was very poorly designed (cheap) by GM for any severe duty use.

When were they dyno'd? Pre 1972? Was it net or gross? Were the cars prepped for the strip, or were they essentially stock? Just curious...

DRTH VTR said:
When were they dyno'd? Pre 1972? Was it net or gross? Were the cars prepped for the strip, or were they essentially stock? Just curious...

All were race motors prepped (blue printed) for drag racing tested in 68 or 69 (too far back to remember exact dates).

Ken Anderson said:
All were race motors prepped (blue printed) for drag racing tested in 68 or 69 (too far back to remember exact dates).

I think that would translate to 450-475HP by today's standards.

did you see page 50?

Funny you posted that- I was digging through a bunch of old mag's my dad gave me and found that exact one a couple weeks ago! Small world. Do you have a scan of the article on page 50 of that magazine titled "The corvette Tycoon"- the story of a 25 year old Terry Michaelis from Napolean Ohio and his massive collection of corvette parts? At that time Pro-team was called "corvette supplies". Kinda funny, as much fun as it is to read anti- pro team posts, boy was that guy a visionary at the young age of 25!

You might want to be careful with the " Kudos "

I know I am walking on thin ice here, but I would like to make a few comments regarding some of the previous post's.

I have a personal friend who's 1963 Corvette SWC, went missing ( along with the owners of four other mid-years ) way back then, and the parts from the parted out cars mysteriously re-appeared on top of the " a massive collection of Corvette parts ".

For those of you who might think I am just blowing smoke out my *ss, well after a complete police investigation, there was jail time involved for the owner of the business.

Just though I would mention it because things are not always as clear as they might seem.

Stepinwolf

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom