Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dumb question about cigarette lighter

jcoats

Corvette
1981 Corvette
My lighter works (pops up and is hot), but non of my accessory plugs work in the lighter outlet. Are the lighter receptacles not compatible with accessory cords?
th
x

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. Although I can't speak to the question specifically in the C3, I have experienced the same issue at times with my C5 and it's usually because the device plug isn't a tight fit and prevents good contact. Does it work if you 'jiggle' the plug a bit? Another thing you may try is to "clean" the contact on the device plug by rubbing it with a clean pencil eraser.

No kidding; I used to have to do that to the contacts on my flash device for my camera. It gets a film on it that prevents contact and a pencil eraser is a simple fix to clean it.

Just a couple of suggestions until one of the C3 owners chimes in...
:wJane Ann

I don't think it's a dumb question at all. Although I can't speak to the question specifically in the C3, I have experienced the same issue at times with my C5 and it's usually because the device plug isn't a tight fit and prevents good contact. Does it work if you 'jiggle' the plug a bit? Another thing you may try is to "clean" the contact on the device plug by rubbing it with a clean pencil eraser.

No kidding; I used to have to do that to the contacts on my flash device for my camera. It gets a film on it that prevents contact and a pencil eraser is a simple fix to clean it.

Just a couple of suggestions until one of the C3 owners chimes in...
:wJane Ann

Yes, A lighter and Acc plug are differant. :beer

As I don't smoke I altered mine so it now does work with acc. plugs. :)
If I remember correctly the problem is that the acc. plugs is pushed up so it doesn't have a 12v connection. If you remove the lighter outlet you see two inserted pieces that are a little inward to the lighter outlet. I removed them and problem solved, only your lighter will not work after that.

Greetings Peter

I haven't had any problems with my lighter using as an acc plug for my electronics,
when I have traveled with it.
eg cell phone,gps unit,12 volt cooler.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom