Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Duplicate key?

In my experience, any legitimate locksmith should be able to set you up!

SAVE THE :w

Sharon,

It is always good practice to check several sources. In the auto industry, I sometimes buy parts from Chris May (Superior Chevy) in Kansas City because he is cheaper than the dealers I use in Chicago! Go figure! :confused

Locksmiths charge different prices with these late model keys. Why? Don't have a clue! :D

I work in commercial real estate. I am always looking for new vendors because the ones I have a relationship with sometimes price themselves out of the running. ;shrug

SAVE THE :w

$40 is a bargain! I bought my daughter a 2000 Saab 9-5 a few weeks ago and it only came with one key. The dealer will only sell a key with a fob and the price is $150 flat.

I found a locksmith forty miles away that will do a key alone, just so she has a spare.

Actually, come to think of it, when I brow beat her to come over for Mothers Day ... she whined and moaned ... screw it, let the princess walk if she can't find her key.

Why do I beat myself up like this .... :bash

;shrug

Generic Key

Sharon,

This key is not Vette specific, there are only 15 "chips"/ resistors. Once you know the value of either the Resistor Code (Dealership can give you with NO problem by sticking your key in a black box in the parts room) or the resistance value of the black pellet on the key then translate that ohm value to GM's resistor code. These blanks with proper resistors are available from other sellers, ie Briggs & Stratton, Strattec, Howard Keys, to name a few. IMHO, GM is the best.

GM Part numbers w/ resistor code:
Vett_Key.jpg

Info borrowed from another site:

Set volt meter at 20k setting touch both sides of key pellet take reading and compare to chart below:

GM Resistor Code - Acceptable ranges

1 402 ohms (acceptable range 386-438)
2 523 ohms (acceptable range 502-564)
3 681 ohms (acceptable range 650-728)
4 887 ohms (acceptable range 850-942)
5 1130 ohms (acceptable range 1085-1195)
6 1470 ohms (acceptable range 1411-1549)
7 1870 ohms (acceptable range 1795-1965)
8 2370 ohms (acceptable range 2275-2485)
9 3010 ohms (acceptable range 2890-3150)
10 3740 ohms (acceptable range 3590-3910)
11 4750 ohms (acceptable range 4560-4960)
12 6040 ohms (acceptable range 5798-6302)
13 7500 ohms (acceptable range 7200-7820)
14 9530 ohms (acceptable range 9149-9931)
15 11800 ohms (acceptable range 11328-12292)

Link to a Strattec Doc showing various distributors, one may be close to your area.

http://w w w.strattec.com/pdf/distributor_list.pdf

Addl. info: If the car receives an incorrect pellet value, she will start a 4-minuet timer to keep you from going anywhere!

Wish I could help further.

Save the Wave,:w

Andy

Damn, keys 401 <== the advanced class :cool

Thank you Colbe

I paid $14 for two uncut keys with the correct chip (measured mine myself with a ohm meter), then $12 for the fob. I got both off of eBay for my 2001. The locksmith cut my keys for $2. Now I have 2 fobs (both 1 & 2), and three keys that work with my car. Knowledge is power. You now have the power to not be taken advantage of. If you have the passive entry fob, your fob will be a bit more expensive. If you don't, you should spend no more money than I did. Don't get taken advantage of.

Hi Sharondippity
Try Keybits 1-800-845-2580 3pm-12am pst. they"re advertising on e bay $9.89 a blank they will even check your key if you wnt to send to them.Which I wouldn't do But they give you the 15 Vat values. You could proably take your key to radio shack & have them measure the resistance value. which will which VAT blank to order then you can get blank cut ant where. I,ve also seen OEM remotes on e bay for great prices. Good luck.

Sharon,
Any good locksmith with a shop is able to fix this for you. my local locksmith made a replacement key for me, (I have a 2003 with the chip in it) the key was sixty five with the programing and a new fob is going to cost about forty. You may or may not have to take the car to a local chevy dealership to have the fob reprogramed for the locks, some locksmiths can do this as well. So the cost isn't totally out of this world. My wifes jeep's single key cost us $135.00 for one key! now that's expensive.

Sharon,
Any good locksmith with a shop is able to fix this for you. my local locksmith made a replacement key for me, (I have a 2003 with the chip in it) the key was sixty five with the programing and a new fob is going to cost about forty. You may or may not have to take the car to a local chevy dealership to have the fob reprogramed for the locks, some locksmiths can do this as well. So the cost isn't totally out of this world. My wifes jeep's single key cost us $135.00 for one key! now that's expensive.

Wow, you guys must be made of money bags! Can a brother get adopted? :L

Check this out:

In order to get a replacement key for DIRT cheap, do this. Measure the chip inside the key. See picture below for clarification:

vat_key.jpg

(I made sure the picture was big enough for blind guys and gals like me)

Look at the measurement that you get. The number will be close to, or one of the following from this list:

Vats #---------Ohms

#1--------------- 402
#2--------------- 523
#3--------------- 681
#4--------------- 887
#5-------------- 1130
#6-------------- 1407
#7-------------- 1870
#8-------------- 2370
#9-------------- 3010
#10------------- 3740
#11------------- 4750
#12------------- 6040
#13------------- 7500
#14------------- 9530
#15------------ 11800

Your results may have a decimal in front of it, after the first number, or not at all depending on how your ohm meter is set to read the resistance.

If your number is "1407", then you need to purchase a #6 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles. If your number is "4748", then you need to purchase a #11 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles. If your number is "524", then you need to purchase a #2 Double Sided Blank Vats Key for GM Vehicles. So on, and so on, and so on. I know which number key to buy because I'm comparing my results to the chart above.

Once you have your Vats number, you can jump on eBay and get a blank replacement key. I bought mine from a place called Locksmith Source. If you click on the link, it will take you to a #7 Vats key that he sells (he sells them all). Look at the price:

$5.50!

I about lost my mind after seeing that price and being quoted $130 dollars by the stealership. I ordered 2 more keys on top of the one I had. Now I have a spare, my girlfriend stores one (not that she'll be using it or anything), and I have the third. Multiple keys is the only way to go!

I took my blank keys to the locksmith and he cut them for $2! That was it! Walked out to the car and they both started the car on the first try. If you're paying more than this for a replacement key that has a chip in it, then please donate some of that extra money you need to blow to my gas fund! :D

Just noticed on the Bay, 2 fobs (both 1 and 2) for the low, low price of $19.95. Works with years that did not have the passive entry feature. I think that would be later 2000 - 2004.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-2...001QQitemZ110258093078QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

EDIT: Okay, never mind. After looking at the ad myself, I thought that was a steal of a deal and bought them. I don't need 4 fobs but who knows, they might come in handy. One thing that the ad says that is not true is that you need a dealership to program them. That is not true. The instructions for doing so are in your owner's manual and you can do it yourself in about 2 minutes.

Anyway, here are two more for $32.97. I promise not to buy these!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-0...02600QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW#ebayphotohosting

...and this place is selling them for $12.94 a piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...024QQitemZ370054833843QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Don't pay $50 and $60 bucks for these fobs, spend your money the smart way.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom