Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Dyno Results - 2001 Stock Z06

Duntov7

Corvette
2014 C7 Z51 SILVER/RED
I can remember reading lots of 2001 Stock Z06 DYNO results and printouts over the past year on various Corvette forums.

I am having a small dispute with some colleagues regarding the Flywheel/advertised horsepower of the 'bone stock' 2001 Z06 Corvettes, as determined at 'reliable' Dyno shops across the country.

The issues are:

(1) What is/are the corrected readings for the Stock 2001 Z06 on a reputable/honest Dynamometer....i.e. xxx.x RWHP; and yyy.y Torque at x RPM.

(2) Is the conversion of .85 "accepted" as the measurement to convert the RWHP to HP at the Flywheel (as compared to the advertised 385 HP). (eg. 344 RWHP divided by .85 equals 404.7 FWHP).

Would appreciate input from all you experts....

Hi there,
I will be answering on the baseline results week after next, as JBsc5 is coming in for a rering in the next week.
I will let you know then.
If JB says its ok.
Besttoyou, c4c5:hb

Its cool with me..

Thanks guys.....

Mac

Paul,

I shot you a PM about time..

Let me know what you think?

JB

Leaving on a long (7,000 mile) drive tomorrow westward.....I look forward to catching the extended comments on this Dyno topic upon our return in 3 weeks....thanks to all in advance for your input.....

My wife & I are off in the Z06 on our 5th NCRS Road Tour, this time, 7,000 miles to Monterey, California & return. We leave Aug. 1st, take a few laps at the Speedway in Indianapolis with the tour group, and hit St. Louis on day 2, then, then as much of Old Route 66 as feasible, Oklahoma City, New Mexico, Arizona, and CA. Return around the 24th of August.

We are set to attend the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, Rolex Laguna-Seca Historics Races, Pacific Grove Rally, etc. Should be lots of fun!

I will be focusing on the NCRS annual National Convention in Monterey for the period 9th to 13th....judging and the like.

Mac

Standing on the appointment, as I have 3 others whom will be doing dyno runs, so I will have SAE corrected results, for review.
Besttoall, and no prob, JB, see you on the 10th anyway, c4c5:hb

.85 seems just about right for conversion factor. I had my '02 Z06 on the dyno and showed 346 hp at rear wheels. 405 x .85=344.

Jim,

That is awesome. Are mods far behind?

I got a question concerning gross vs net that I've heard some differing stories on.

I had originally thought that gross was simply measured at the flywheel and net was measured at the wheels. I later heard someone else (on this board, I think) say that gross was an undress engine measured at the flywheel and net was a dressed engine measured at the flywheel. Then my uncle (who tends to be full of s***) has been trying to tell me that they used to officially measure horsepower at the rear wheels but they don't now. So what's proper here?

Also, were all advertised HP ratings prior to 1971 gross or were some measured as net or at the wheels, and were all advertised ratings after 1971 net?

Thanks,
Dennis :w

Net horsepower is a measurement of engine output, taken at the flywheel, without the engine installed in a vehicle. Since the engine has no load on it, all of its energy can be used for making horsepower.

Net horsepower is a measurement taken at the driven wheels of a vehicle on a dynamometer. The vehicle's ability to turn the roller is measured and calculated to come up with a figure that represents how much horsepower is actually available to move the vehicle around. Because a frictional loss between the engine and the driven wheels is unavoidable, wheel-driven horsepower will always be less than net horsepower. How much less wheel-driven horsepower will depend on how many mechanical parts exist between a vehicle's engine and its driven wheels.

As to the exact years the change occurred, I can't remember at the moment.

_ken :w

Granted, i'm not old enough to remember the good ole days like some of our fine associates of this board are (no offense to anyone on that...) But, i've always thought the hp #s were gross, not net. But then again, i have heard that sometime in the late 60s / early 70s they changed to gross b/c off all the high performance street cars running around....Cuda's, L-88s (even though there were only 20 in 67, still enough to do some damage ;) ) you know....AMERICAN MUSCLE!!! (not like today :( but anyway...)

And i'd like to hear about the rwhp #s off of a fellow CAC members ZO6. I'm kinda sick of hearing about the 37x/38x rwhp of the 03 Cobra already. But also, from what i can remember for a calculation for a std car 15% of the gross:net is the rwhp and 20% for an A4 is the gross:net...i could be wrong.

Enjoy the ZO6 for us members not gifted enough to own our own (yet :D) :beer

I think it was around 1972 that the automakers changed the way they rate hp.

The old days rated motors with out any accessories on them..thats why they were gross figures..

The new numbers at the flywheel are lower but not by much and the end results are cars that are a lot faster..

Rearwheel hp numbers are usually 15% less for sticks and 20% for automatics (losses for torque convertors are greater)

400 hp for a Zo6 should equal 400 hp x .85 = 340 rwhp give or take a little..(405 hp should be close to 345rwhp)

385hp for a 2001 Zo6 should equal 385 x .85 = 327 rwhp

350 hp for an automatic C5 should equal 350hp x .80 = 280 rwhp give or take a little.

350 hp for a six speed C5 should equal 350hp x .85 = 297rwhp

bottom line always is how fast a car is and these comparative hp numbers are just for analysis..(JMO)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom