Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Early ZR1, LPE modded L98, or new engine...

I'd actually consider coming out and taking a look if you weren't so far away. I checked out the page, looks like a nice car :).

saddle interior?

I am considering selling my CE to buy something for less money... It is an awesome car, but it sits in the garage too much to justify the high cost.... I would feel much better buying a high mileage car from someone that I know takes care of their 'Vettes (like you)... I need to sleep on the idea:z

Vettelt193 said:
saddle interior?

Saddle, YES

Anyone that knows me knows I am in no hurry. I suspect this car is going to be a real nice street car package. The brand new suspension will give it another 150K worth of life, and the hot engine and 3.75 gears will push it as fast as nearly any other hot production car on the market. Nikki would love for me to sell it as we could use the $$$ to put up a Florida room on our back porch.

I think my girlfriend would love me to sell my CE and buy your 'Vette so I can take the extra money and buy her a huge diamond.... let's make sure Kathy and Nikki don't talk quite yet:)

oh, and saddle + polo green = :)

would anyone suggest buying a high milage 87-89, pulling out the L98, and replacing it with one of the 525 hp 383s from here: http://www.amerspeed.com? Has anyone heard anything about this place or can anyone recommend another good place they know of? Is there much involved in an engine swap (as in, will it cost me a couple grand in itself)?

I believe that Doug Rippie (another well known Vette' tuner) still does work on the L98.

I think it was Vigman who said that the L98 is a relatively easy engine to modify and tune so the possibilities are very high. There are so many aftermarket performance manufacturer's out there that it'd be hard not to find something you like.

If you want a car in the 11s and the older style interior then your question has already been answered. The 85-89 L98 Corvette is for you. With the right mods the car can get into the 11s on 350 ci. With a 383 L98 it is much easier to get into the 11s. An early L98 model can be had for a good price these days. I sold my prior 86, which was in pretty darn good shape for $7500 this past year.

http://biz.digicat.org/Pics/Cars/86corvette/

I was planning on modding the car, but my current car (1991 ZR-1) came up for sale. Needless to say I had always wanted one of these. I know I could have modded the L98 into the low 12s high 11s. But the ZR-1 was just too good to pass up. I got a really good deal on it. It had somewhat high miles 82k when I bought it. I am about 500 miles away from 100k now. No track time as of yet but my last trip to the dyno yielded 357rwhp/343rwtq. That works out to ~430hp/415tq at the crank. Very respectable for only having exhaust mods (Headers/Flowmasters). Ported intake soon to come. ZR-1s can be expensive to mod. It all depends on what mods you choose. For about 3k you can get very close to 400 rwhp out of the early ZR-1s. NOS is of course the best bang for the buck out there. It will give you 368ci power for 1k. Bumping the displacement on the LT5 is a costly venture 14k-30k. But will turn the car into a freak of nature. The powerband in the LT5 is just awesome.

But from a post I read on another forum. You know when you want a ZR-1 . There is no need to ask anyone else. If you have to ask, you are not ready.

There was an 89 here in NH a couple months ago for sale with 60000 miles and the asking price was 6k. I think an 85-89 L98 Car is what you want and don't even fret about the motor or going bigger. The stock L98 with the right mods can do hi 11's.

:beer

You should look at the corvette section on ebay...I bought my 85 Z51 year and a half ago for 6000.00 drove it back to Ohio from Va. with no problem. It had 90,000 on the clock then...has 148,000 on it now. Replaced all the usual stuff and a few mods.
it is in perfect shape now...
But there are all sorts of deals on ebay all in various forms of disarray from complete to project car.

thanks everyone for the input. My original idea was just to mod the L98, and that's still looking like the best plan at this point. The only thing I worry about is that if I'm going to put all of this money into a car, I don't want it breaking down 2 or 3 years later so I wanted a super low milage one (maybe 25k-35k miles).

You mentioned that the L98 can easily make it into the 11s with the right mods...but how would I go about finding out what those mods are (remember, I'm completely mechanically inept)? Should I try to talk to a local speed shop? If so, how do I find one...and a good one at that? Any suggestions? Thanks again everyone :)

PS ~ Biz, I wish you would have waited...that's the exact color I'll probably be looking for...beautiful car :)

what do you mean by not breaking down? stuff will break for sure... I think it would be cheaper to get a higher mileage vette, and put in a new engine... going from around 250 to 400+ HP will require a beefed up tranny anyway, so I don't think low miles will help on a highly modded car

I know stuff will break, but I've had bad luck with higher milage cars. I don't like getting in each morning and wondering if it'll start or not :(.

If I were to drop a new engine in, I'd definitely get a high milage car as I figure most everything is getting replaced anyway. I meant that I'd want a low milage one if I was planning to mod the L98. I figured that either way I'd be looking at beefing up the tranny and probably getting a new rear end...that'd give me a chance to get different gears too.

The thing is, if you want to get into the 11's (ie. 11.90) you are going to need about 500 HP at the crank, figuring a 20% loss through the auto transmission. You aren't going to get 500 reliable HP out of an L98 with bolt-ons, so you will either re-build the existing engine, or drop in a new one. Either way, it will also require beefing up the tranny, so high miles seems like the way to go since you are going to have to put in new/better equipment anyway.

Vettelt193 said:
The thing is, if you want to get into the 11's (ie. 11.90) you are going to need about 500 HP at the crank, figuring a 20% loss through the auto transmission. You aren't going to get 500 reliable HP out of an L98 with bolt-ons, so you will either re-build the existing engine, or drop in a new one. Either way, it will also require beefing up the tranny, so high miles seems like the way to go since you are going to have to put in new/better equipment anyway.

hmm...so if I'm planning to try for 500+ at the wheels, you'd recommend against trying to mod the L98 if I want the car to be reliable as a somewhat daily driver? Do you think I should look at having a custom engine built through someone like that link I mentioned earlier? In other words, if this were your car, and you were shooting for 500+ rwhp, how would you approach it?

Something else just occurred to me. Does anyone know how the 87-89 Vette glass roofs held up under this kind of strain? Also, any idea if it'll hurt the car to run like this with the top off? I kinda forgot about structual strengthening :p. Thanks...

My 87 GN with glass TTops twisted like a pretzel when I launched it at the drags. Ran 12.34/113 would been 11.80's with drag radials. That car was putting out 425 hp at the wheels. Gonna need to strengthen the body with the kinda power you wanna put down.

Bud if your after that kind of power your pulling the engine out period. The L98 block is very nice and has lots of low end torque (I have this one). However 500 Rwhp is not going to come from a 2 bolt main block without you grinding your teeth together wondering if your gonna blow a main.

I suggest buying a 85-89 Automatic. Pull the L98 out ( So go with the cheaper higher mileage car) Buy a Crate engine or have a engine shop make you a 383 Stroker out of a 4 bolt main block. Put on Super Ram's High flow heads. And Now you can even supercharge with ZERO worrys because your bottom end is so well built. (So far Ive spent 13k)

Now buy a new carrier (Rear end) with 3;73 gears install then while the transmission is out getting a new speedometer gear have them rebuild it with performace converters etc..

Guess what you now have a ZERO mileage car.

Dress up the interior, have it painted, do some effects work if you like.

You will beat Vipers, look good, and most important FEEL good about your car.

You'll have zero mileage on nearly EVERYTHING will have a one year (Min) warranty on your entire drivetrain, your 0-60 is going be in the 4's quarters in the 11's what more do you want for 25k?

If you want more information Ive been planning a similar build over the last year

chadbehiels@hotmail.com

Actually this will be VERY fun. You will be able to pick Valve covers, interior colors, Seats, stereo, Chrome dohickeys, etc.. This will be a VERY fast car and will be completly customized to YOUR preference. No car on earth will be able to do that for you.

BigRed, that sounds exactly like what I'd like to do...you make it sound so simple ;). My biggest problem will probably be finding a good speed shop to do the work. I could find a few in the yellow pages, but I have no way of knowing if they're any good or not. Any suggestions for me? I wouldn't mind traveling a bit if I knew the work was going to be premium.

If/When you do go ahead and try doing this, could you let me know how it worked out for you. Like I mentioned, I'll probably be waiting another year or more before starting. I'd like to plan things out in advance though so I have time to roll everything over in my head...make sure I know what I want and what I'm doing. Thanks.

Im building in OVER the next 2 years. If your looking for a good spped shop don't keep shopping at Callaway and Lingenfelter. They are premium yes but man alive your gonna PAY.

I suggest going to the drag strips. Most decent shops will be racing there and it will give you an opportunity to meet various people and various shops. Look at the car they are racing, shop for quotes on packages such as the one I suggested. They will be more than willing to talk to you. (It they're business)

I make it sound simple because Ive been planning this build for a very long time. Everything except Cam durations/Lift has been preselected already.

Ive shopped shops, all the Corvette Catalogs, Performance catalogs, and most importantly the people here in CAC have been wonderful in aiding me.

Build a Hot Rod you will not be disappointed. And yes it is easy, it takes alot of patience and smart market research.

Keep In touch bud.

Not a bad idea...I've been wanting to get my Hawk down to the strip at some point anyway. I've never actually been to a drag strip, which is strange considering the cars I've ownded :p.

I appreacite your help. You don't mind if I check in with you every now and again to see how your project is going, do you? Also, mind if I contact you about some specifics when I finally go ahead and do this?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom