Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ECM code reader, suggestions?

NuclearBob

Corvette
1981 Beige Coupe
I'm looking to buy a code reader for my ECM (81.. ). Does anyone have a particular brand/model you have used that you really like?

Thanks!

Carl

This is the one I use...

paprclip.jpg

I just picked up an OTC System 2000 used on ebay for $20. I've only used it to check my trouble code, but it seems to be capable of alot. I've got to read the manual, but so far I'm excited about the thing. Hey Gedmeyer, let me know if you read this. You asked me to let you know what I found out and I didn't want to post this same info on two treads. God bless, Cris

Sensei said:
I just picked up an OTC System 2000 used on ebay for $20. I've only used it to check my trouble code, but it seems to be capable of alot. I've got to read the manual, but so far I'm excited about the thing. Hey Gedmeyer, let me know if you read this. You asked me to let you know what I found out and I didn't want to post this same info on two treads. God bless, Cris

Yeah, I'm watchin! I'd love to find a scanner system for 20 bucks!

-gedmeyer

ALLSCAN 8325
Have used it for years and it is reliable and accurate.
My 81 has passed smog every time with colors.
Also get 18.7 mpg around town and up to 25.3 on the freeway.
Easy to use and thier tech support is eager to help.

NuclearBob said:
I'm looking to buy a code reader for my ECM (81.. ). Does anyone have a particular brand/model you have used that you really like?

Thanks!

Carl

Thanks for the advice

Thanks for the advice, even the paperclip.. :) I found a used MPSI PRO-9000 system with the GM module on e-bay for $275 and it works very well.

Thanks Again! Carl

OOPS.. I call mine a code reader at times, but you are correct it is a scanner.
My apologies.

JonM said:
You said code reader...not a Diagnostic Scanner ...that is why I suggested the paper clip. :crazy

Code Reader/Scanner

Actually, until I started looking in to this I didn't know there was a difference. I tried the paper clip trick when you posted it and it worked better than I thought. Now I know what to do without diagnostic equipment. I went ahead and got the diagnostic unit so I could learn more about the whole thing.

Thanks!!! Carl

Lift the ash tray/lighter door, and pull our the ash tray, under there I believe.

-Tatortot

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom