Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Edelbrock Carb Adjustments???

manofsteel

MAN o MAN........adjusting this edelbrock 600 on my 350 is a pain in the butt. Still can not get the excessive exhaust smell gone. Had a great mechnic adjust the cab so it would pass inspection, but it does not seem right. Even tho the engine seems to run smooth, thru the exhaust system it sounds like to dying out and the fumes are headacheing!!!!! Any help out there?:bash

The exhaust smell has more to do with the junk they sell as gas today than your Edelbrock carb.My car is a convertible which makes the smell even worse.

According to your profile you have a 73 and they had a converter on them, if its all working correctly you shouldnt have any smell.

The L-82 cam has a lot of overlap which I think at idle, allows unburnt fuel to pass thru if the AIR pump is not hooked up. I know my does.

Try change the springs on the needles to heavier ones and if that doesnt work , then check the float levels , the edelbrocks want about 5 psi fuel pressure at max . If someone has had a go at float levels , its prolly not adjusted right.
You need a calibration kit tho to tune the carb properly...springs needles and jets.

Eldelbrock carb is fairly new. Passed CO2 inspection due to the adjustment of needles. RPM's are about 800. No converter on this car, just a fuel canister. No pump. Nothing in any books about one being there except the canister.

Mine stinks too when idling and i have Edelbrock 600. Sometimes you can clean up the idle by increasing the ignition timing; however, you must be certain your total timing is within safe limits and you dont get part throttle pre-ignition under load. If the idle mixture screws do not affect the vacuum and/or the engine idle speed when using them to tune the idle mixture then what is probably happening is the transfer slots are exposed too much at idle causing the engine to suck fuel from the primary circuit along with the idle circuits of the carb. This can happen if you have a big cam or a lot of cam overlap and have adjusted the idle speed screw to achieve a higher idle. If your idle vacuum is very low you may have to drill a small hole in each of the throttle blades (lets more air into the venturi without opening the blades and exposing the transfer slot). This allows you to adjust the idle speed screw lower (closes the throttle blades more) and have less exposure of the transfer slot so the idle mixture screws will be effective in setting the idle mixture. I have never done this but am considering drilling mine later this month after i get my rearend reassembled. The Edelbrock website has some tuning information for you. They recommend adusting the mixture screws to obtain highest idle speed, but it is more accurate to hook a vacuum guage to manifold vacuum and adjust for highest vacuum which also raises idle speed and gives you the best/lean idle.

Found out that my 350 is a crate motor and they did not put the pump back on. As of todate still not running right. Can not get it to smooth out with timing at 12degs. Had to go almost 16degs and that's not good for the engine. Runs hotter. HELP HELP HELP

16 degrees wont kill it alot of low compression engine with cams that are too wild need alot of inital advance to run good at low rpms.That carb is just a updated carter afb, tunning it is alot like setting up a q jet. lighter springs under the power pistions keep the the needle pulled into the jets at higher vac at idle wich keeps it from being grossly rich. higher tension spring keeps the needle out of the jet allowing fuel to flow earlier. My thing would be hook a vacuume guage up to it and see what the vac reading is. There should be a chart that should give you a close ideal of what combo of spring needle and jet you need.I personally never liked those carbs on anything as there picky and a pain to get close even. I for run run a modded q-jet and couldent be happier and its on a fairly wild combo.

Think I found some of the problem. I knew I had a vacuum leak going to the headlight actuators and I plugged it and the engine now runs smoother and i was able to time it to 12 deg. Still need to adjust the carb to get even more smoother. Thanks for the help! Nice to know about the q jet, but right now I do not have deep pockets and have to make do with what I got. Will check on those stronger springs, they can't be that much. Got any xtras??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom