Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EGR tube clamp

Corvette
1986 Convertible Dark Red Metallic
Anybody got any tips on how to get that squeeze clamp to the exhaust manifold to squeeze tight enough to stop leaking? I can hear a hissing leaking sound and am getting exhaust soot on the side of the head and spark plug and wires. I've squeezed it about as tight as I can yet it still twists and leaks.

Thanks in advance for any help or insight.

I have not a clue as to the clamp to which you refer. Please be a little more specific.

Ken

Where the EGR tube attaches to the exhaust manifold there is a squeeze clamp just above the manifold. It is normally hidden by the silver heat shield over the tube/pipe. Mine was torn so I ordered a new one and saw the exhaust leak from the pipe/tube when I took it off to replace the shield. I want to fix the leak before I install the new cover.

Thanks again to all.

I see. The '86 must be a different arrangement; mine is bolted to the manifold. Sorry Chris, somebody else will chime in before long.

_ken

Mine is bolted too. Can you post a pic?

Yeah, I'm bolted down too!

I just checked my early 86. I've got a metal tube that runs to another metal fitting that sticks out of the manifold by the last cylinder on the right. The fitting on the manifold has a flange on the end. There's a hose clamp sitting right on the flange that squeezes the one tube around the other. No squeeze clamp (I'm assuming you're talking about the single wire clamp with circular ends to press on?) and no soot, either. Try one of those worm-gear hose clamps instead...
[RICHR]

There is no way to squeeze that clamp shut that I can find. I actually have the correct tool for those kind of clamps, it's an 'OETIKER" brand clamp. The problem is that you just can't get the tool in place to crimp the clamp. I used a small muffler clamp, I think a 1" diameter, not sure. I had to modify the ears on the clamp saddle by shortening them. Then get some locking nuts to replace the ones that come with the clamp, the all metal type stannless if you can get them, not the ones with the nylon insert. Pop the pipe joint apart, put some muffler cement on the joint faces and then assemble. Line up the muffler clamp saddle so that it straddles the joint and tighten slightly, you dont want to crush anything and distort the joint, The saddle of the clamp will keep the joint together. I used this fix on mine about 4 years ago and don't have any leaks yet.

Thanks Janciello!!!! I did exactly what you suggested and it is sealed tighter than a drum now. Thanks again!!!

I had this headache as well on my 86 vert. I tried to clamp the clamp, and went through three or four of them new from G.M. with the same bad results.

I am glad you got yours fixed. Here is what I did. I cut the crimping part off the crimp clamp, leaving the ring portion. I fashioned a heavy duty hose claim to saddle the ring portion. I found it critical for alignment and sealing to have the ring around where the two flanges join. I then simply cranked the clamp down in place. It worked. This is after a week or so of banging my head against a wall. There is just not enough room in there to work on it and get a really solid bite on the stock style claimp.

I saw the car a week ago at a local car show event. I should have asked the most recent owner to pop the hood so I could see if it was still connected. That was back in 97 when I did the new clamp.

I saved that clamp. I will try your suggestion if it starts to leak again. Thanks for the input!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom