Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

EGR Valve

garylt

Corvette
2005 Corvette, Black 6 speed Coupe
EGR VALVE, on 1986. Can I do away with this. Or do you realty need this. garylt

Egr Valve

I have a 1986, like to know if I can do away with the EGR valve, or do I realty need this. Do you have to remove the intake plenum to change this. Engine light was comming on and this was the code. GARYLT

Yes, you could do away with it. I've seen some guys sell the intake with the EGR area welded over. Don't know what it'll do for emissions but I'm sure you'll get a check engine light. I think, but I'm not 100% positive, that you can have the chip reprogramed to turn that CEL off.

To get to the EGR, you'll have to take the plenum off. Don't forget the to detach the wires on the bottom of the plenum before you lift it off! The nuts holding the EGR on are 3/8", which is weird because everything you take off to get to the EGR are metric bolts and Torx. It may be difficult to get to unless you have a "crows foot" socket.

I fixed the name of your thread :).

And Edmond is correct take the plenum off and the EGR valve is right there. Good luck.

Hey, you forgot to capitalize EGR!:L:L:L

Nah, when you say "Egr", it just sounds like something Tony the Tiger would say!:L:L:L

The 32 code has been showen up on my 85 the last couple week's,only does it when im on the hiway crusen.Been to hot to check it out but have "serched" the forum,seems its pretty comon .I do know the 85 is a different system from the 86 tho. When i find the problem,ill post the cure. Seems the ECM sends a signal to a vacume switch to open/ close the EGR valve,if the reading from the O2 sensor doesnt change when this happens,it sets the code.

i know its alot of trouble, but i would try removing it, and cleaning the carbon from the tiny holes, and test the vacuum to it, if it dosen't hold vac get a new. if your state dose emissions testing? if not take out all the crap!!

Check the EGR temp switch that sticks out of the EGR pipe! You need to wiggle the wire coming from it at the top. If it moves any you should unhook it and tighten the wire going into the sensor. It is also threaded. Reset the computer and put it on. If it comes on again go and buy a new one. The number is EGR300 at Oreiley's. It is a cheap part and probably causing you EGR code. If it doesn't fix it then go for the solenoid. Starting to get it? Cheap, a little more, and expensize+ PITA. PITA refers to the EGR valve itself! I have learned this the hard way recently!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom