Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Electrical ground problem? Help!

CeeFive

Corvette
2008 VR ZO6
My car has a code that comes up now and then "Charge system fault". I have been told it is a possible grounding problem, but it looks good around the battery. Car has 4000 miles. Now the radio (when turned on) starts a fairly heavy buzzing when the headlights are turned on and after shutting down the car, the radio will start buzzing again when the telescopic wheel goes in. Also, when I get on it lately and bring it to about 5ooo or so in first and then shift to second, the motor seems to want to cut out (or at least a quick drop in RPM) for a second or two as soon as I hit second ( RPM's around 3500 or so at that point). Kind of like a flat spot or something. All other gears and loads on the engine seem fine. Could this be my rev limiter coming in early on me? I have NEVER red-lined this car. The car has never displayed these problems before and I am wondering if they are all related to some kind of a ground problem. Could a grounding problem have an effect on the rev-limiter? The radio and the error message seem like a short somewhere, but could this also affect the engine under a higher RPM load? Also, with the exception of the battery area, I'm not sure where to look for obvious grounding points. Any help would be most appreciated.

Sounds to me like a trip to the dealer is in order.
You have an 02, did you remove the battery and check for leakage?
Tim

HI there,
Actually, I do not think your driving has anything to do with your condition.
You see, looking at a ground is never an accurate way of determining if there is a problem. An electrical test, called a voltage drop, will confirm if there is a problem with the circuit. .2 volts is normally the maximum electrical energy that should be seen.
As for the rest, well, your noise that you are getting with the headlamps on, and the other conditions show me that something is loose. Especially if you are getting a bog under WOT, when the engine is twisted from the torque of acceleration.
And so, with that in mind, remember that there are over 30 different grounds within c5, and all must be checked that affect the circuits that you are speaking of.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom