Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

emblem removal

3TT3V

So after I remove a glued emblem; what is recommended for removal of glue residue?

3TT3V said:
So after I remove a glued emblem; what is recommended for removal of glue residue?

3M General Purpose Adheisve Cleaner. Dang it! I sound like a broken record. I think 3M should change the product's name to Multi-Purpose. Anyway, use it for Tar, Wax and Glue removal to name a few. Get a bottle and keep it around your garage.

3TT3V said:

Also.... how are you removing the glued emblem?

hopefully utilizing a hair dryer and teflon scraper. Any recomendations here?

Do a search in the C5 General Discussion forum. Lots of great threads for help.;help

3TT3V said:
hopefully utilizing a hair dryer and teflon scraper. Any recomendations here?

Teflon Scraper? OMG, check back here later on tonight and I'll have a post on this.

When I removed the old emblem on the CE to put new ones on, I used fishing line. I got a 2 foot section and put the end in each hand. Then I started it on a corner and used a sawing motion to cut between the emblem and the body. Took them off perfectly and I just had to remove the residual adhesive. Try this first, it will work

82dukman said:
When I removed the old emblem on the CE to put new ones on, I used fishing line. I got a 2 foot section and put the end in each hand. Then I started it on a corner and used a sawing motion to cut between the emblem and the body. Took them off perfectly and I just had to remove the residual adhesive. Try this first, it will work

Mix all of the above posts and you'll have my post. Use the hair dryer to soften the leading edge.

Additionally, you'll need to wax afterward.

Just talked to "THE MAN" himself last weekend about this very subject

I had the chance to talk to Gordon Killebrew at a show last weekend and the subject of replacing my emblems was brought up. If theres a way to do it Gordon knows how.

He also recommended heating up the emblem with a hair dryer and then using fishing line to work under the emblem to remove it.

Just passing it along!!

Thanks for all the advise....I will be using the hair dryer and fishing line. Has anyone heard of or used a 3M product like a huge eraser that fits in a drill to remove glue residue?

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom