Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Enee, Menee, Mynee Moe, which should I choose

Corvette
63 Resto Coupe-Red 65 Roadster
I will need to do some serious plumbing using -AN fittings and I am at a loss as to which manufacturer to use.

There are three major players which are, " Earl's, Aeroquip, and Russel " and everyone I have spoken to so far, tend to recommend the brand they have used in the past, without necessairly having had any experience using other brands.

My question to you Forum members is this. Does anyone have the knowledge or experience with the different brands, that might be willing to make a recommendation as to which might be the the best choice for me.

The cars these parts will be used on are not destined to see any track time, but I do want the best quality, so that I will not be obliged to have to re-do any of the labor some time in the future.

I have also contacted a few suppliers, but I think that their suggestions were based on which was more profitable to sell, rather then the one that might have been the best choice for me.

Thanks to all those who will choose to participate in this thread and address my concerns.

Stepinwolf

Bob

I am now using areo quip only. there newley designed fitting pulls into the hose. A costly mistake for me was getting differant manufacturere componets. And then having orphaned fittings

Hows that tri power working out

Bob:

I also used Russel fittings on my car. Fuel lines and trans cooler lines. Can't offer a comparison but I felt the fittings were easy to work with.

Rich

Step,
I have been in aviation for over 20 years and have seen my fair share of Aeroquip fittings. Personally, if it is good enuff for an airplane it ought to be good enuff for your car. Never seen a problem with the fittings, just the plumbing/flares that hook to them. Partial to the blue anodize I guess.

Good luck!

Bob

I am now using aeroquip only. there newly designed fitting pulls into the hose. A costly mistake for me was getting different manufacturer components. And then having orphaned fittings

Hows that tri power working out

Larry,

Were I obliged to comment on what went well, I confess I would be a loss for words, very disappointing indeed.

Other then what was referenced in a previous thread I have yet to do any work in the way of installation, that went well.

Once the throttle linkage was installed, it became impossible to hook up any type of pedal linkage, since it would interfere with the linkage itself. I had to fab a SS bracket that I installed on the center carb ( as far as possible from the pivot point ) so that I could get some additional leverage to make opening the throttles a little easier. The springs on the three carbs are so strong, that the pressure to obtain full travel is akin to depressing the clutch.

Then there is the fuel rail issue. The rail itself is composed of three double O-ring adapters that are screwed to each carb. Then two aluminum tubes are used to join together the adapters completing the rail. These tubes were machined on the inside of each end, but the CNC machine probably had a hiccup, because although the fittings are the same size, the inner size, or dimension is not, and it became very difficult to insert them in their proper place. Sadly it was all for naught, since one of the tubes is shorter by 3/16, and will not cover the O-rings on the adapters.

Then there are the throttle plates. Remember when we check for excessive play on the Holly carbs when they get a lot of use. Well the two end carbs have at least 1/32 to close to 1/16 of an inch side play, when you grab the end of the shaft and rock it back and forth. I hope to God that there is some type of seal built in, because if this is just more sloppiness or bad machine work, there is no way in héll that I am going to get any idle speed on this setup.

Now for the air cleaner. It is aluminum ( top & bottom ) but was undoubtedly a reject, that someway found it's way into my box. The base looks as though it spent some time in an acid bath, because half of it is so stained, I was obliged to powder coat it so that the customer would not give me an hassle. As for the very visible top, well here again the CNC machine probably screwed up again. The script is so bad, I would be ashamed to use it on the vehicle. They did offer to exchange it, but you know the trouble we have here in Canada, when the time comes to send parts back & forth across the border. It would probably be less expensive for me to thrash the cover and purchase another one outright.

The above is only part of the issues I have with the setup, and God knows it has not even been put into service yet, so I am expecting more surprises in the future. In it's favor, I do like the look of the three carb setup, and the theme it gives to the 67 big block coupe that I am assembling, however those of you who will hold their breath until my next purchase, might not live very long. :duh

Stepinwolf

air-cover.jpg

I can't give you a comparison either - all I've ever used for decades is Aeroquip - consistent quality, no problems; I'm sure the others are good too, but I've never tried to mix them - if it's Aeroquip, it fits, works, and doesn't leak. :)

ANFittings.JPG

:beer

Hello Robert
I was told years ago that Aeroquip was the best for braided line.....not sure if that is still true. Apparently the guy I got it from, said run your hand down Aeroquip line and you won't get stabbed, while others were not quite as good
I just bought a rather large amount of fittings and hoses from a racing operation that was getting out of it. I have not used any of it yet, but it all looks good. It is Earls, Aeroquip and Russell.
take care
Tom

I am so sorry your having troubles, I eliminated there air cleaner as I had a clearance problem and I did not like the top lid. I had problems with the machining on the bajo fittings that delayed me installing the tri power in time for Carlilse. I am thrilled with the set up.

I may order some richer jets as I think I could sweeten it up a tad

What are you using as a carb cable as I am using the loker set up and I dont have a tough pedal pull

Better luck with your set up

Here is a picture of mine

image.jpg

Youll also notice I relocated the secondary throttle pull to the top of the carburator throttle levers to allow room for my Bowtie over drive tv cable controller,

I don't have a lot of experience, overall, with AN fittings but have mixed and matched all three manufacturers (mostly because I need some odd fitting at 4PM on a Saturday afternoon). In my hands, they are the same.

No compatibility problems that I've uncovered, going from tube to NPT to AN and back and forth. I've even used the "VNV Emergency Method" of tightening various fittings wrapped in a shop rag with a regular adjustable wrench. No difference between manufacturers.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom