Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Block Color...

80VetteL82

Corvette
1980 L82 Black/Red
Okay so I know motors older than 78? were orange, and 78 and newer were blue....my question is, while I was under my car the other day I noticed a spot on the block where the blue paint was peeling. Underneath the blue paint was orange!? Is this typical? :confused

Thanks for your input,
Kevin :w

I drove a numbers matching 1977 L48, built in Sept. 1976 which had a blue engine. It is possible that the orange you are seeing is primer.

04 Spiral Gray

My 77 L-48 also had a blue engine.

yah I knew it was either 77 or 78. I was just wondering why it would be orange underneath. I havent bothered checking the numbers cause I was pretty sure it was all original, but now Ill have to check. Now that I think about it Im not 100% sure it WAS the block...there is a possibility it was the oil pan...in which case someone could have replaced the original oil pan with and older model that was used or something, and just painted it to matchh. But Ill have to check and see, Ill let you guys know.

Possibly, someone bought a replacement part from a juckyrd or a friend, or the engine was painted orange, then back to blue. Mine is a 79, the engine is #s matching and ita blue.
zach
186_1.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom