Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine dies even after running codes

R

RED H

I own a 2000 C-5 convertible with 10k miles. I have not driven the car in about 6 weeks and when I attempted to start the car recently, the battery was dead. I had the battery replaced in March at the dealership. I charged the battery and ran the codes and reset until I received the "No Codes" message. However, I am getting a message "Pull Key and wait 10 Seconds" followed by "Service Column Lock". I took the car to the dealership in March for the steering column lock recall. The car starts, but, the engine dies when I attempt to drive it. Can you offer any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem prior to taking the car to the dealership?

I own a 2000 C-5 convertible with 10k miles. I have not driven the car in about 6 weeks and when I attempted to start the car recently, the battery was dead. I had the battery replaced in March at the dealership. I charged the battery and ran the codes and reset until I received the "No Codes" message. However, I am getting a message "Pull Key and wait 10 Seconds" followed by "Service Column Lock". I took the car to the dealership in March for the steering column lock recall. The car starts, but, the engine dies when I attempt to drive it. Can you offer any suggestions for troubleshooting this problem prior to taking the car to the dealership?
Remove neg Battery cable for 3-5 min. and hook it back up!! Some times after charging a dead battery, the Computer needs Re-Booted!!:upthumbs

junk!!

RED H,
First, welcome to the CAC.
Hopefully, it will prove to be nothing more than what GMJunkie suggested.

If the column remains locked after you crank it, the car is programmed to shut off the fuel supply. When you attempt to drive it, is the column actually locked?

Tammy

I removed the negative battery cable for 5 minutes as suggested, but, there was no change. The steering column is not locked. It appears to be a fuel shut-off. Any ideas? Thanks.

I removed the negative battery cable for 5 minutes as suggested, but, there was no change. The steering column is not locked. It appears to be a fuel shut-off. Any ideas? Thanks.
Yep!! It's back to the Dealership!!! Something is up with the column lock,Recall was improperly done maybe!!;shrug ;shrug Maybe something else!!;shrug ;shrug

Thanks all...I had the car hauled to the dealership this morning. I'll post the findings once I learn the cause.

RED H

Dealership diagnosis was a defective steering column lock plate and harness. I mentioned that I had taken the car in for this repair in March of this year after receiving a recall notice from GM last fall. I contacted Chevrolet Customer Support and reported the issue. They agreed to pay the bill in full. Apparently they are aware of this recurring problem with '97-'00 Corvettes. For anyone else experiencing this issue, I would suggest that they contact Chevrolet Customer Service 800-222-1020.

I'm glad they resolved it satisfactorily. Thanks for the update.

Tammy

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom