Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine heat on 82?

Rmodeler

Corvette
'82' Silver Blue
I've by-passed the heater-disconnected the hoses. I still get a lot of heat coming from under the dash. I know that engine heat can be the cause of some of it. I have the heater controls shut off. Is there vent louvers under the dash that could stay open that would let excess heat from the engine in. Could there be a problem with the control, even though it is shut off and the heater core disconnected?

how insulated is the floor of your vette???
I.E.do you have extra insulation under your carpets??you might want to consider some if you don't have any already...:beer

C3s tend to be warm in the footwells. It's called Fish Feet and it's common.

The most common culprit is the hot water control valve sticking open, but you've already taken care of that.

Check to ensure AC flapper door at the cowl is closed and vent door behind the right kick panel is closed.

Check to ensure all the various grommets in the firewall are in place and sealed.

Check to ensure you don't have an exhaust leak.

Check to ensure the factory heat shielding is in place.

:)

The core box has a flap that switches distribution from the hot side to the cold side. The cold side blocks of the the heater core and allows air to come in from outside. The problem is if the air out side is 90 degrees the air coming in is also 90 degrees.

Jim

You need to check the seal on the back of the hood. If the seal is gone or bad, this allows engine heated air to be sucked in when the outside vent is on. Also where the heater hoses hook there is a foam section betwen the heater core pipes, this sometimes rotts away and allows heat to come thru the a/c heater box. also if you have a/c, the box it self has seals and these aslo might need redone.

Nope, it's just naturally hell's furnace down there. Get used to it! :L When I go on long drives (more than 2 hours), I wear flip flops. Otherwise, my feet roast/sweat. I also leave the blower set to "defroster" and "cold". That helps keep some of the heat from going down there.

Thanks for all the input. I'm checking out some of suggestions. Do you think this was a problem when the cars were new? If not, how can it change so much? I haven't got my a/c working yet($500+), but if it was, would it override the heat problem?

...Do you think this was a problem when the cars were new? If not, how can it change so much?...

Yes. Astro-Ventilaiton never actually worked the way GM envisioned it, so cabin heat was a problem from Day 1. Somewhat less on newer cars because all the factory sealing and heat sheilding was intact and/or new. Over time, heat shielding gets removed and not replaced, grommets and AC/heater boxs get removed and reinstalled, etc. Lots of folks install additional heat/sound barrier material under the carpets.

... I haven't got my a/c working yet($500+), but if it was, would it override the heat problem?

Override? Yes, some, but not completely.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom