Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine ID Help

74 Coupe

I know that I do not have the original engine and I am trying to figure out the year of my engine. I have a 74 coupe VIN 1Z37J4S430834 Base with Auto. I know that the engine was cast in Mexico for above the Block Casting Number
of 3970010 is, in raised letters 'HECHO EN MEXICO'.
Other numbers I can find and/or see are the Engine Assembly Date/Suffix of 'ME14800' and a Block Casting Date of 'I18' (I think, real tough to read). Also between casting number and casting date is '84' (in raised 3/8" high).
One more thing on the intake manifold is '340281' could this be the original or did it come with the Block? Does this seem to be a 'Create Engine' or just a replacement block?
Any info or input would be appreciated.

Unfortunately, the engine in your '74 is not the original. Hecho en Mexico, in english, means "made in Mexico". All engines for 1974Corvettes were manufactured at the Flint, Michigan plant.

Also, all of the numbers that you supplied are not those of a Corvette engine. I'm not sure what kind of engine you have, but it's definitely not the original one. Sorry.

74Coupe, That sounds like a crate engine to me. I put an engine that fits that description in a 79 blazer I had. It was the lowest priced Chevy crate engine. I think at the time it cost me around 1400.00 It ran very well,in the blazer, as a matter of fact, my nephew bought the blazer from me a couple of years ago, as so far it has been a good motor. (He bought it when he turned 16, and he is now 18, i'd say that's a pretty good motor):) As far as the date of your engine, you might try your local Chevy dealer, that may have info on the dates. As far as the intake I'm not sure, I know that the engine did not come with one so I would suspect that it may be original....hope this helps.......Steve PS I wouldn't be too concerned about the motor. If it runs good.....I'd paint it orange and down the road I'd go........74 small blocks were not known for there power anyway.....

A web site provides casting info at http://www.mortec.com

According to their records casting number 3970010 refers to 2 different engines

1)
302ci made in 1969 with 4 bolt main for Z-28 Camaro

2)
350ci made between 1969-1980 with either 2 or 4 bolt mains.

If you check the pad on the passanger side front of the engine you should see some numbers and letters. The letters will also tell you the date of engine. For example my letters are CNN which refers to a 1970 Camaro/Nova 350ci with either 2 or 4 bolt main. I have a book with all the letter codes from 1975 to 1980 if you can read the letters.

Regards,

Jim

80convertible

What is stamped on the pad on the passenger side, front of the block is "ME14800" any info on these in your book?
Thanks

There should be two sets of numbers on the pad. If you happen to have a Haynes manual look on page 0-6. It shows a picture of the pad and you can see there are 2 sets of numbers. One of these sets should end with 2 or 3 letters. Most of the 70's engines had 3 letters. I can't find anything with the letters you gave me.

Regards,

Jim

Jim,
Thanks for all your time and research. Yes I do have the Haynes and I looked on said page. Just came back in from garage and rechecked the front pad, that's all the numbers stamped on that pad. I then jacked the baby up and looked in the alternate location as shown on page 0-6 but I could not find any stampings. Starting to wonder if maybe someone ground the old numbers off and restamped thier own set. This is turning into a real mystery.
Thanks again.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom