Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Engine noise

mljones13

Corvette
1981 Red Coupe
Gentlemen. I own a 1981 numbers matching coupe. I was returning from a car show, last month, and since I hadn't "cleared" it's throat in awhile, I hammered it. Well, I heard what initially sounded like one of the resonators was starting to give out on me. I took it in last week for an oil change, and after that was completed, I was on my way home, and hammered it one more time before putting it up for the winter. This time the noise was louder, and it sounded like it was coming from the right side of the engine compartment. I turned around and took it back to my mechanic. He had me rev the engine several times because it only made the noise under full throttle. After the fourth or fifth full throttle rev, the engine developed a "lifter tick". At least that is what it sounded like to me. My mechanic seems to think that it could be "piston slap" from a worn wrist pin. I like and trust my mechanic, but, he is inclined to think that I need to get a complete rebuild on the motor. This car has 46,000 miles on it, and I can't afford to rebuild the entire engine. I am between a rock and a hard place on this. I don't know what I should do. Any suggestions??? Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

Hi guys. O.K.time for an update. I was out of town, and away from my car, when I wrote the above thread. I am back now, and have had a conversation with my mechanic. He tells me that, he has done some research, and feels that my problem could be as simple as a failing fuel pump. He has ordered a new pump, and will install it on Thursday. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I would start by adjusting the valves first and take it from there,do have a factory service manual????
If not one of us here can walk you thru it.
It isn't very difficult.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I would start by adjusting the valves first and take it from there,do have a factory service manual????
If not one of us here can walk you thru it.
It isn't very difficult.

I agree with Bill regarding adjusting the lifters. Also could be as simple as a small piece of grit or material in the lifter itself. An oil and filter change might be needed if it's been a while. Maybe even some CD2 or other type of engine flush prior to the fresh oil.
As far as the noise coming from the right side of the engine, did your mechanic think to check for an exhaust leak? Possibly a manifold gasket or exhaust flange leak. Also check the exhaust system farther back. Noise tends to be transmitted to areas other than where it is generated from. Those would be the logical first things to check. Good luck and let us know when you get it figured out.
Terry

I forgot about the exhaust leak...
Check the connection between the bottom of the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe, I've had a leak there in the past, and it too sounded like an engine noise. It should tighten up,or if you need to, change the gasket, or donut. You may have to put the front end up on jack stands and crawl under it to check for leaks. be careful you don't burn your self.

Check the other side as well just to be sure it is tight

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom