Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Noise

C

CSCARLSON

I HAVE A NOISE AT MY VALVE COVER(VALVES)IT'S MAKING A SOUND LIKE WHEN YOUR LOW ON OIL AND YOU VALVES CAN BE HEARD, BUT IT'S A LIGHTER NOISE..MY OIL IS FULL BUT I DO USE SYNTHETIC OIL... HELP

Give us a little more info. Does it do it all the time or only when the engine is cold or hot?

Does the RPM make much difference? Has anything else changed prior to the noise showing up?

How many miles, what kind of mods?

it makes the noise cold or hot, the engine was rebuilt 2yrs ago and i don't know about the mods , not sure if it's moded or not.

Here are some ideas on where to start:

First make sure you don't have a cracked or leaky exhaust manifold. That will make a light ticking noise. You can do this by a variety of methods including just running your hand around the manifold (be careful not to burn yourself) feeling for the leak while the engine is running. Check the seal between the manifold and exhaust pipe. Especially check the heat riser valve.

If not an exhaust problem, pull the valve covers off--or just the one on the side you hear the noise.

Visually inspect the rocker assembly for anything odd. Sometimes, you may have a rebuilt engine with the original rocker arms. You may have one that is worn out. With the engine off, grab each one, revolve the engine and feel them. They should all have the same type of movement.

Finally, consult your G.M. or V8 engine manual for the procedure of adjusting the valves. It is not difficult, just time consuming. I always run them down to zero lash and then go 3/4s more. I think the G.M. manual suggests one full turn after no lash. Some people run less and more. Whatever works for you.

If you still have the noise after checking the exhaust, verifying there is no obvious wear on the rockers, and setting the valve adjustment--then there is very little additional you can do without tearing the whole motor down.

However---noises can be very tricky. Drop the V-belt assembly off the car and crank it up. You may find the noise is gone. If this is the case, you have an alternator or air pump that is failing.

Good luck.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom