Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Rebuild/Swap Reccomendations Please

jacob9582

Corvette
1984 Brilliant White Coupe, Targa Top
I have a 1984 C4 with 102k on the clock. In the last 2 months it has developed a engine bearing knock on start up. I am looking for suggestions on drop in engine swaps using the crossfire injection or a rebuild of my current motor. Any thoughts are appreciated....not sure how imminent the death of my current motor is but want to be ready. Thanks in advance, Kevin

Hi!

Well, any crate that does not have the right cam to work with the crossfire will likely require the ECM to be tuned.

If you want to go with a crate motor, the GM 260hp motor is a good base- but you'll need a different cam. The cam with that motor is too small. I would recommend COMP Cams 12-388-4 because it works well with the Crossfire system. In fact, I used to run that cam on my crossfire. :)

GM crate- ($1,499)
GM Goodwrench 350ci Engine Packages | JEGS High Performance

Comp Cams Computer Cam- ($141)
COMP Cams 12-388-4: Computer Controlled Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft RPM Range: 1000-5000 | JEGS

Aside from installation of the cam, you are looking at about $1,650 for the parts for a good crate swap on an otherwise stock crossfire car.

I hope that helps!

If you like the car the way it is just remove,rebuild, install AND that is the time to repair/replace things that won't last another 100k
Tune up related
Water pump ect...

Crossfiire guys will chime in with what those items are

Upgrades = $$$$$

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

How did did you tune it once it was all installed with the cam shaft?

Hi!

Well, any crate that does not have the right cam to work with the crossfire will likely require the ECM to be tuned.

If you want to go with a crate motor, the GM 260hp motor is a good base- but you'll need a different cam. The cam with that motor is too small. I would recommend COMP Cams 12-388-4 because it works well with the Crossfire system. In fact, I used to run that cam on my crossfire. :)

GM crate- ($1,499)
GM Goodwrench 350ci Engine Packages | JEGS High Performance

Comp Cams Computer Cam- ($141)
COMP Cams 12-388-4: Computer Controlled Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft RPM Range: 1000-5000 | JEGS

Aside from installation of the cam, you are looking at about $1,650 for the parts for a good crate swap on an otherwise stock crossfire car.

I hope that helps!

I do enjoy the car the way it is now and plan on adding other vettes to the garage that will be much faster cars. Any idea what a rebuild would cost from a reputable shop?

If you like the car the way it is just remove,rebuild, install AND that is the time to repair/replace things that won't last another 100k
Tune up related
Water pump ect...

Crossfiire guys will chime in with what those items are

Upgrades = $$$$$

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

How did did you tune it once it was all installed with the cam shaft?

I have an EBL Flash ECM from Dynamic EFI.
EBL_Flash

Tuning? The short of it... lots of trial and error, reading, and asking questions from people that know how to tune GM TBI.

I do enjoy the car the way it is now and plan on adding other vettes to the garage that will be much faster cars. Any idea what a rebuild would cost from a reputable shop?

A good rebuild is rooted in the parts and labor. Labor costs vary as do the costs of parts. You would likely spend around $2,500 - $3k if you use the right parts and have a good shop. And then another $1,500 for removal and reinstall. It's not cheap- and if it was, it's because someone cut corners.

If you haven't thrown the ROD yet,..Don't! Don't drive it! It's usually less-expensive to rebuild your existing engine.

That Said,.. I've found Jeggs is very reasonable on performance part prices and quality. To start; Get a complete "rotating assembly," timing chain& gears, oil pump&drive and a full gasket set. Have the block and heads done at a machine shop. Rock Auto is also good for "standard" parts too. You should shop around for stuff like hoses etc., because many of them are discontinued. Last year when I built my '90, I had a "Bear" of a time finding the hoses that went to my oil cooler and the power steering . I ended up getting them from many different vendors since nobody had them all. BUT, when the engine is out, this IS the time to change those. It is also a good time to clean up the wiring harnesses. Heater hoses are also hard to find at times. GOOGLE is your friend!

As far as shops to do the labor,...That's hard. You'll have to find a reputable outfit in your area, that does a lot of older cars. Look for someone that has a bunch of Hot Rods in their lot and look at the cars. You don't want a butcher shop either! Even though I do(did) ALL my own work, I know quite a few local shops that DO great performance car work(and I'd be glad to hook you up or help you out). Look for shops that have older mechanics(not kids) that speak English! You want "Old School" guys that can do this in their sleep, because Corvette's are a "son-of-a-gun" to work on and you only want to do this ONCE!

Need anything else?..Be glad to help. I'm on the South Side around Oak Lawn. Let me know. Don

Be Back later... I have to run out.

Last edited:
I agree with Don about finding an old school shop.

For example, I had an old school hotrod shop set up the rear gears on my Vette. Labor rates were great and like Don said, they could do the work in their sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom