Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Engine Swap

radstad66

Corvette
Blue 1966 Roadster, Black 1986 Coupe
I would like to hear some input on putting in a 454 in my 66 roadster. the 327 is not original and not reliable. I have access to a 1978 454 out of a pick up truck for no charge. and rebuilding with a mild performance cam would be about $1700.00 .Would it be worth it? Or should I consider something else?

It's not a bad idea, the 396/427/454 all physically look the same. 2 years ago I did a customers 66 with a 454 and Doug Nash 5 speed. It's worked well.

Only if you want the fun factor to jump about 1000%. My car has a 454 & its FAST;)

The biggest gain in dropping in a BB is of course torque. I would pick a combination that is more geared toward a civilized HP rating. Just build it toward that end & you will be happier in the long run.

BB's are slow revving but hard pulling with little effort so the feeling of HP is not always at the high end. Besides when you dress it out & open the hood its always good for the WOW factor!

[
The biggest gain in dropping in a BB is of course torque. I would pick a combination that is more geared toward a civilized HP rating. Just build it toward that end & you will be happier in the long run.

Could you give me any ideas, The car is an original BB 427 with 4.11 rear end. Did G.M. do anything different to the motor when they put them in trucks?

P.S. The BB engines sound so tough when they idle past me at the shows!

What you hear is mostly from camshaft. Thats why you need to determine what you want performance wise. A very healthy motor can be built using fairly inexpensive performance parts.
It would warrant a call to someone like Edelbrock to describe what level you want to achieve. The bottom end is fine with the exception of pistons.
With a BB you don't need to get radical with everything. Just a good combination that will deliver the HP level you seek.
Then just feel all that torque that only a BB can deliver without working hard.

Cost is x 2!!!

Biggest problem with a big block is the cost. Remember, everything else will have to be changed as well.......flywheel, starter, fan and shrowd, water pump, radiator, hoses,fuel lines, fuel pump, intake, carb, distributor, exhaust manifolds and pipes.........Wow, all of a sudden this "free"motor that you had to put only $1700 into for the rebuild is now up to $5000-7500 without any labor.......and then we have the little half shafts , u-joints and small yokes on the diff taking all that new torque......etc., etc., etc.....

A new ZZ-4 with alluminum heads will bolt right in and give you great performance.......and comes with a GM warantee !!! That's hard to beat.

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck,
Jim

Could you give me any ideas, The car is an original BB 427 with 4.11 rear end.

I also based my .02 cents on this

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm thinking the way you are Black Thunder, everything is there all ready for a big block and the motor has everything on it. The carb is new, the distributor is rebuilt with tack drive, I even still have the original side pipes that will look real nice to get back on, if the manifolds will work.

I know I have to expect extras, thats why I'm asking, to weigh all my options.

everything is there

Radstad66 put it back to being a highly sought after mid-year, a 66 BB Vette. Be sure to put them sidepipes back on, & build that motor with perhaps an eye toward being able to handle a tri-power set-up should you stumble across one.

The value of that Vette is staggering even with a NOM as their is not enough of them now to go around. If yours was originally a BB 66 & you drop in the 454, your resale value will skyrocket.

BB mid-years are the pricepoint leaders in classics & you will own one. Not to mention the whole new personality the car will take on. Any added expense will be well worth it, in your case.
How I envy you, already!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom