Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Everything you ever wanted to know about the LS7 engine

Very interesting article.

The title says 1 of 19 pages - web pages!
Printed pages are more like 100.
Long read but a good read.

I've printed every page so I can keep this info with the show stuff for my 427 Vert.

Last edited:
Printing the LS7 article?

Anyone know if/where this article is available as pdf or other doc that can printed off in a nice format without all the ads? Looking for copy to keep with my car.

I was able to make a pdf and print it out. That way, I could relax on the couch and read it and use a highlighter for certain statements of interest. Great article. Very revealing. Makes me appreciate mine even more.

I was able to make a pdf and print it out. That way, I could relax on the couch and read it and use a highlighter for certain statements of interest. Great article. Very revealing. Makes me appreciate mine even more.

OK.... same thing I'd like to do. So how did you do it?

OK.... same thing I'd like to do. So how did you do it?

I have a Mac, which makes creating a pdf very easy. All I did was click on the 'PRINT' button at the top of the article page. Then, when the print box comes up, I can choose as a print option to create a pdf. If I remember correctly, I think that's how I did it. If you have trouble doing this, I can send you or anyone else, the document via email, if you'd like.

I have a Mac, which makes creating a pdf very easy. All I did was click on the 'PRINT' button at the top of the article page. Then, when the print box comes up, I can choose as a print option to create a pdf. If I remember correctly, I think that's how I did it. If you have trouble doing this, I can send you or anyone else, the document via email, if you'd like.

I too have a MAC, so easy. On a PC install pdf writer or similar free software, in some cases you chose to print to file as a pdf. Once you set up the print then it gives you an option to name the pdf. If you have adobe acrobat pro, it will do this as well.

Anyone know if/where this article is available as pdf or other doc that can printed off in a nice format without all the ads? Looking for copy to keep with my car.
You could check with the author... He is the gent who started this thread...

Mac

I do not have a .pdf of the LS7 article.

Folks need to create a .pdf from the web pages. If you have a Mac, there are directions above on how to do that. I use a Mac at work so I'm not aware how one "prints to .pdf" with a Wintel machine.

Sorry I can be of more help.

Hib:

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for posting the link and the article is fantastic...I just re-read it and fell in love with my Z06 all over again...what an amazing engineering accomplishment. :thumb

Other LS Info

Be sure to check out the article on the LS 3 engine. It's great reading & only a few pages long. It describes the progression to the LS 7 and LS 9 engines. It gives good background on the LS7's basic design.

Hib:

I know this is an old thread, but thanks for posting the link and the article is fantastic...I just re-read it and fell in love with my Z06 all over again...what an amazing engineering accomplishment. :thumb

Glad you like it, "TooFast". We are working on a major revision of the LS7 article. I hope to turn it over to Rob in a week or so. Look for expanded coverage of the valve guide wear problem along with some new sidebar articles and more imagery.

Also, I just noticed you have an '11. Because 2011s were the only Z06es with the ZR1 X-pipe and only two cats, their engines are a bit more powerful than 06-10s with H-pipes or 12-13s with four cats. It's rated 505 but makes more like 512-515 and they sound better.

In fact, I backdated my 2012 with an '11 exhaust, then shimmed the bypasses open by about 3/8ths of an inch.

Last edited:
Glad you like it, "TooFast". We are working on a major revision of the LS7 article. I hope to turn it over to Rob in a week or so. Look for expanded coverage of the valve guide wear problem along with some new sidebar articles and more imagery.

Also, I just noticed you have an '11. Because 2011s were the only Z06es with the ZR1 X-pipe and only two cats, their engines are a bit more powerful than 06-10s with H-pipes or 12-13s with four cats. It's rated 505 but makes more like 512-515 and they sound better.

In fact, I backdated my 2012 with an '11 exhaust, then shimmed the bypasses open by about 3/8ths of an inch.

I know about the exhaust Hib, I followed your posts about the swap you did on your car...you helped settle a dispute on the "other" Forum about the 2011's having more HP due to the exhaust and the sound is amazing...I love the decel, thanks! :thumb

I know you're a supporting vendor, but this is not a thread appropriate for advertising your product.

Would you be so kind as to delete your post above?

Earlier, I said:
We are working on a major revision of the LS7 article. I hope to turn it over to Rob in a week or so. Look for expanded coverage of the valve guide wear problem along with some new sidebar articles and more imagery.

The revised :"Ruthless Pursuit of Power: Lucky 7 Edition" has been posted. While small parts of the existing article were update, a major addition to the article, an in-depth investigation of the valve guid wear issue, has been added. It starts on the 18th page.

This article has been updated by Hib Halverson with new information!

From Hib:
The third edition of the Corvette Action Center's comprehensive series of articles on the LS7 engine has just been posted. CAC Technical Editor, Hib Halverson, has completed a significant update of sections of the series covering the controversy surrounding LS7 valve guide wear. Based on research the CAC did in 2015, Halverson both rewrote some of the existing coverage of the guide wear problem and added additional new material about that issue. Halverson explains the problem, covers its diagnosis, discusses solutions, describes GM service bulletins and warranty coverage and reports on the class action lawsuit against GM over LS7 guide wear. In addition, the LS7 article series' third edition discusses newly uncovered details about the engine's development.

The Corvette Action Center's series of LS7 articles, originally posted in 2012, revised in 2014 and again in 2016, is the best-researched and most detailed information about the LS7 engine on the Web. Even employees of the Communications Department at the General Motors Powertrain Division refer inquiries about the LS7 engine to the CAC's series of articles.

I will relish reading this updated article. I just did a oil analysis on my LS7 at nearly 40K with 8200 miles on the last change. So far, so good. But, I also understand that's not always a good indicator. At least the engine is still quiet, consumed no oil this last change and no SES DTC. I'd like to think this was truly cured from Feb 2011 on, when it was mentioned there'd be a 100% inspection on any subsequent heads.

Hib,

Very interesting article and changes. Were there any other changes to a LS7 built in 2013 as compared to one built in 2006? I think they were: going from lead to a synthetic polymer main crank bearings and the micro finishing on the TI intake valve stems in 2014 and ECM updates. Was there anything else? My Z was built around early September 2012 for the 2013 model year. Would my engine be late enough to have the micro finished TI stems? I have heard the valve sizes were changed as well as their weight. I don't know if that's true or not. Any data on that?

As the owner of a C5 Z06, I have pursued countless discussions about the LS7. Does anyone in Canada recommend a mechanic or a garage that definitively addresses all the issues? I need to ask before I bury forever my dream of upgrading!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom