Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Exact location of the VIN on a '70 frame needed

hzl6cm

Corvette
1970 Laguna Grey Convert., '04 Z06
I've done a search on the forum that turned up some information but I was still unable to locate the VIN that should be stamped in to the frame on my '70 Convertible. One thing I read indicated that it should be above the rear shock mount on the driver side. In another place I found a picture of one and irt seemed further back. I tried using a small wire brush, sandpaper and carb cleaner but couldn't located it. My frame has undercoating and 37 years of crud on it and before I attack it more aggressively I would like to make sure I am attacking the correct location. Is it directly above the rear shock mount on a '70 Convertible or is it someplace else? Thanks!

Kevin

Top of left frame rail at or near #4 body mount as shown; also stamped on the top of the left frame rail about where driver's seat is located. You can't see this one with the body on.

:)

Thanks for the replies - I will look again tonight.

Kevin

I tried again last night without success. From the posts above it looks like I should be looking in right side of left rear wheel well. It looks like the rear body mount is clear over on the right side of the wheel well opening so the vin stamping on the top of the frame would be to the left of the body mount, is that correct? One question I have, in the picture in the previous post it shows the top of a bolt head right behind the VIN stamping, what is that bolt head for? I don't have a bolt head in the area of the frame that I should be looking in. I took a Dremel tool to the area I thought I should be looking in and got down to metal but didn't find the VIN or any evidence that it had been machined away. It appears that at some point in time the frame has been sandblasted and painted, there is some evidence of past rust pitting in the area but nothing deep. Thanks.

Kevin

...I tried again last night without success....

Typical. The picture might be a bit deceiving since it is a very good photograph of a very legible stamping. I've looked for the number on my '68 and my '80 and haven't been able to see either with the bodies on.

The exact location of the stamping would probably vary from car to car since the frames were stamped by a human being.

:)

One question I have, in the picture in the previous post it shows the top of a bolt head right behind the VIN stamping, what is that bolt head for? I don't have a bolt head in the area of the frame that I should be looking in.

That bolt is on a hold down clamp over some steel tubing. I think that tubing goes to the fuel tank separator mounted to the driver's side of the tank. As you can see, the stamping is fairly shallow. I used some white paint to fill the recesses so the VIN would be visible in a photograph.

One question I have, in the picture in the previous post it shows the top of a bolt head right behind the VIN stamping, what is that bolt head for? I don't have a bolt head in the area of the frame that I should be looking in.

Here is another shot from a little further out that shows the bolt location on my car.

IMG_0566.JPG

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom