Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

exhaust questions

S

Shark Chief

I am looking to change the exhaust system on my stock 72 (350)shark. The car is being used as a daily driver. My question is; What type of headers should I use? What would be the best setup for the pipes,X pipe H-pipe? I am also thinking of running no mufflers. Would this be a good idea?:confused

Welcome to CACC Shark Chief!

We are a bunch of friendly and helpful members here at CACC!

I have a question about the mods you are planning....are/can you do that in California? Has your vette reached that magical age where you CAN do that?

I won't return to CA because of the smog laws.
I will be changing my exhaust system very soon (thank you Al) to a "chambered exhaust" system. This type system has no mufflers, nor are they required!
I can't wait!

Let us know what you decide to run on your vette!
Heidi

ps, I will not use headers, but will use the stock rams horn exhaust.

Heidi- I don't think he has to worry about emissions on his 72. I think the first year they used a catalytic convertor(emissions) on a corvette was in 1975.

Dave

Ahhh...

See? I learn something new every day!
Heidi

Anyhow, check out chambered exhaust... I'll let you know when I get mine installed how I like it. This should occur within 2-3 weeks. However long it takes UPS to get it to me!
Heidi

no mufflers on a DD would get annoying, would be way to loud at high way speeds. i would say look into a chambered system or some good ol flowmasters and pipe them to the back. for headers, i just bought some shortie style becuase i may switch to a side pipe set-up, which the long tube headers wouldnt allow. there are plenty of brands that make headers for the c3 350 cars, just pick up any jegs or summit catalogs. for the DD purposed just get an H pipe set up cheaper and simpler.

someone correct me if im wrong please.

Has anyone hear a dual exhaust set-up with just resonators on it? Just curious as I have seen this done on other vehicles but never a 'vette.

klb

Hi

I ran my 81 for a while with no cats or mufflers and it was loud, if you are planning to use it more than just occasionally you`d better buy some industrial duty ear defenders. I soon got tired of it being so loud and most of my immediate nieghbours wouldn`t speak to me. The other minor problem is that it is not the best set-up for performance and only really any good if you intend to be in the 6000+ rpm bracket most of the time and you soon tire of that as well.

So I guess it depends on what you want from your car, you could try the open pipes and add a couple of mufflers later on. I am in the process of fitting a pair of sidepipes and I will be leaving the mufflers in place.

Check mine out just at idle and then think about it at 6500rpm.

Open Pipes

Hey Heidi, does Ga. have state safety inspections. We have them here in Va. and that's why I can't convert anything on my '77. The only way I can do that here is register it as an antique. But mine is a daily driver, so I'm stuck.:cry

I don't think so...

I recall visiting Kenny's brother in VA about 6 years ago and they had just taken one of their vehicles for the state safety inspection and were really bad-mouthing having to do it.

In GAs more populated areas (close to Atlanta) I believe there are smog inspections every other year, but the county we live in does not have anything like that.
Heidi

I would do the following:

1) Hooker sidepipe setup with JCL baffles. Looks sweet and sounds even better.

or

2) tri-Y headers (I think Borla makes them) to a 3" X-pipe and true duals with 3" flowmaster delta 50 series. If you lookup bobchad, he has a similar setup and the car sounds mean.

The tri-Y headers will give you good low and midrange torque and the delta series mufflers will be less likely to resonate in the cabin. Take note, the flowmasters are not the best flowing mufflers, but the delta series are much more quiet inside the car than the chambered exhaust systems, and sound better (imho) outside the car than the chambered systems.

Russ

I have headers that flow into perf cats and then down to series 40 Flowmasters. While the exhaust is not too loud the resonace(sp) is annoying. I would make sure you include a x pipe or some means of damping the resonace in your plan. You will be glad you did.

Roy

I have headers to straight back

I have hooker competition (equal length) headers going straight back and ending in some Cherry Bombs.

It's not loud until you get in the 3500RPM range. It's execpetionally loud in the 5000+ RPM range. But when you are revved up that high, there's usually a reason, and the sound only adds to whatever excitement you are going for.

If you are considering an X or Y-pipe, you'll want to research it, as they have different performance benefits.

I have sound clips of my car if you want to hear it. I thought Scott81 had them on his site, but I was just there and didn't see 'em. Lemme know if you wanna hear 'em. If you don't like the way Cherry Bombs sound, check the DynoMax Bullits. They have a pretty cool sound as well once you open up the car. Otherwise, they are pretty tame.

I just had headers put on mine. I also had them wrapped to try to keep some of the heat off my feet!!!! Haven't gotten to drive it much because it is raining but it seems to have helped some.

Tim73454

Tim73454 said:
I just had headers put on mine. I also had them wrapped to try to keep some of the heat off my feet!!!! Haven't gotten to drive it much because it is raining but it seems to have helped some.

I hope you plan on putting some type of final exhaust on there...otherwise, you's is gonna be in the hotseat...literally!

Two comments from previous posts on this topic-

1) You need backpressure on the engine. The resonators and muffler sets do this- some more than others. The engine won't scavenge gases correctly from the cylinders without some form of backpressure. Add a turbo- that works. Straight pipes don't do it. The engine will not run as powerful as it would with CORRECT backpressure on the engine.

2) I had the expansion chamber exhaust- Thanks to Heidi, it's gone. Noise was ok, up to 5/8 throttle or so- then too loud for me. I went to dynomax super turbos with 2-1/2" pipes- nice noise level, easy to make a daily driver. People ask me "what's in it?"- they seem oddly upset when I tell them a weenie 195 hp L-48. I took the car three days in a row to the vintage races at WGI last month, 180 miles roundtrip a day. Never got bored with the noise, and I wasn't deafened either!

I also have the Dynomax Super Turbo's. Ive had them for 5yrs. The older they get the better they sound.

They are out the back now. I will see if I can get a good picture of them. They look great but I don't have a lift here at the house (at least not yet!).
The wrap stops there but I'm thinking of putting it back to at least the first cross member.

Tim 73454

As far as mufflers, I really like my two chamber FlowMasters. I just bought a set of ceramic coated Hooker equal length headers a week ago. I have my '73 up on jack stands, as of today, to install them. I have seen the install and they fit really well. This with a 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inch pipes seems to be a good combo. I let you all know how the install goes.

Eric's vette spoke to me today!

71Shark and I got together on the phone today for a drive so I could listen to his chambered exhaust...and they whispered words of love in my ear!

The healthy cruising speed sound then the throaty rumble and growl of acceleration!

I think this is exactly the sound I am looking for! Thanks Al!!!!! (smurfvet) MUCHO thanks! The exhaust should arrive within the next two weeks and after it does, I'll be nagging Kenny to put them on!
Then it will be: "Let's go for a drive!" :D
Heidi

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom