Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Exhaust System Recommendation

Phinstr

Corvette
1999 FRC Torch Red
Just picked up a 1999FRC for....the wife..ya...that's who I got it for ;)...anyway, the exhaust is too loud. I know, no such thing but....It currently has, what appears to be, a straight through system with Magnaflow tips. i looked at where the mufflers should be and there is nothing there, the pipes just go back and over the transaxle...the main issue is that the car pops massively on deceleration and is hard to have a conversation while cruising on the freeway due to the drone and loudness.

What is everyone's opinions of the Corsa exhaust. I kind of like the Xtreme as it sounded like the Pace may have been popping a bit. I really want to get rid of the wind down popping sound but still have a fairly aggressive exhaust sound when I throttle up.

I know, everyone has an opinion...let's hear them. If you have sound clips/links, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help :beer

The Corsa has a good reputation. I had it on a Hemi and really liked the sound. It had none of the dreaded drone that some exhausts are prone to. I plan on putting the Sports on my C6 this summer.

Indeed, Corsa makes a good product and it does have a reputation for being pretty quiet in that 1400-1800 rpm range where a V8 is really hard quiet, however, Corsa's stuff is expensive.

The best deal going to both increase performance and have an exhaust sound a little more aggressive than stock, is a used 2001-2004 Z06 exhaust.

You can find them on the used market for half the price of the high-end aftermarket systems.

A plus is the stock Z06 exhaust was designed specifically for fixed-roof coupes, since its made of titanium it's a lot lighter, incredibly durable and, best of all, it has much less "drone" compared to what you have on your car, now.

I own a C5 Z06 and I've never replaced the stock exhaust because the OE titanium system sounds so good, is so light and will outlast the car.

Just picked up a 1999FRC for....the wife..ya...that's who I got it for ;)...anyway, the exhaust is too loud. I know, no such thing but....It currently has, what appears to be, a straight through system with Magnaflow tips. i looked at where the mufflers should be and there is nothing there, the pipes just go back and over the transaxle...the main issue is that the car pops massively on deceleration and is hard to have a conversation while cruising on the freeway due to the drone and loudness.

What is everyone's opinions of the Corsa exhaust. I kind of like the Xtreme as it sounded like the Pace may have been popping a bit. I really want to get rid of the wind down popping sound but still have a fairly aggressive exhaust sound when I throttle up.

I know, everyone has an opinion...let's hear them. If you have sound clips/links, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help :beer

If you can get the Titanium system from a Z06 cheap, DO IT!! If not, you really can not beat the CORSA brand. I had the Pace Car system on my '04 Vert and loved it. I've got the Sport System on my '10 GS now and love it as well. The stock system on my '04 Z06 is fine as well!! The big problem with most of the aftermarket systems is drone as Hib stated. You won't have that from the stock or the CORSA. Just as a note, you could have gotten the CORSA as a dealer installed option from Chevrolet during the C5 run, to me that says alot of good things about their product!
also, if you get the CORSA and order it with the Tigershark Tips, it will look exactly like a C7 exhaust system!! That's what I had on my '04 vert!

Last edited:
Thanks for ther info Hib. I may hang out over at the Z06vette.com and see what I can find. Those guys seem to be changing exhaust quite a bit.

I have an 06 automatic with paddle shifters. Are any of the C6 Z06 exhausts going to fit or do I need to limit it to cerain years, models, etc?

Thanks for ther info Hib. I may hang out over at the Z06vette.com and see what I can find. Those guys seem to be changing exhaust quite a bit.

I have an 06 automatic with paddle shifters. Are any of the C6 Z06 exhausts going to fit or do I need to limit it to cerain years, models, etc?

I plead confusion.

The OP was talking about a 99 C5 and you're talking about a C6. My earlier post concerned C5s.

Best to start a new thread with your C6 exhaust question.

Borla perhaps?

I saw one poster note that the Corsa was expensive and I bought my Borla used so I can't comment on price. However, it was their mid range system and I can say that I was worried about the "drone" many seem to have when they pass me at say 60 or 70 miles an hour. The Borla had a very pleasant Vette appropriate growl when you put your foot down but then was a nice hummmmmmm at cruise speeds on the highway and was never annoying.

Everyone has a favorite system, but THE classic system for the C5 is the GHL system, and they have been since 1998. They are hand crafted and polished - great looking. One of the forum vendors, Southern Car Parts, has them on sale $300 cheaper than I paid ten years ago. It's not too noisy, not too quiet, and has negligible resonance. It's the best bang for the buck available right now.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom