Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Favorite Spark plugs...

Corvette
1973 L-48 Coupe
I want opinions on your fav...getting ready for the Cruse-fest and i am thinkin of changing...currently use AC ..350....Have a few mods....Edelbrock carb and intake, headers,electronic ignition....maybe i should stay with these...im sure this has been beat to death but i thought i would ask.
Thanks, Chas

I seem to remember a thread on this a few months back. Have you done a search?

Personally I'm a big fan of Champion plugs, although i know others will disagree. I've always used them and never had a problem. Well not one related to the plugs anyway!
:L
'73

im sure this is an old subject... i just like to ask again because of all the new members.... now over 11,000 strong!
lots of new opinions lately....thanks for yours guys....i was thinking of trying those Bosch plugs....
Chas:beer

I was going to try the Bosch plugs this weekend but I've been struggling with timing issues (I've posted a thread about it) and I don't want to dismantle anything until I know I can put it back the way it is.

Personally I'd rather put American plugs in an American engine. For me there's no choice but Champion.

i understand where your coming from....i make alot of spark plug shells where i work....its a coldform operation with 13 cold form headers...im the tool maker that keeps it all running ...about 6 or 7 yrs ago Champoin plugs in Toledo closed there operation due to market increase of forgien suppliers like Bosch...we have 5 of the guys that came from Champion working for us now...we stamp out the steel body and delco puts in the ceramics....while the major operation is running , i also have a cnc lathe ...Mazak...that i run as well...for the last 15 seasons we have made NASCAR Racing sparkplug shells on the Mazak...drivers from Rusty Wallace to Jeff Gordon and most everyone in between were using our shells....infact 90% of the top ten finishers in these seasons were using our shells...until 3 yrs ago when they switched to Bosch....i no longer make the shells on the CNC but we still crank out the regulars....this is my reason for wanting to try the Bosch...my guess is I wont be able to see or feel the diffrence and will go back to AC Delco...thanks for your feedback...its why we post, to get other ideas from other enthusiasts.

Chas:w

The73vetteman said:
Personally I'd rather put American plugs in an American engine. For me there's no choice but Champion.

i have the bosch in mine, they worked great in my old dirt bikes, so i gave them a try.

vettedude73 said:
I want opinions on your fav...getting ready for the Cruse-fest and i am thinkin of changing...currently use AC ..350....Have a few mods....Edelbrock carb and intake, headers,electronic ignition....maybe i should stay with these...im sure this has been beat to death but i thought i would ask.
Thanks, Chas
with the mods you listed, i would not waste the money on expensive plugs. you will never feel the difference in performance. if you were running a full on mod motor for racing, then by all means go for the better plugs. for tuning, you need a stable and repeatable flame pattern across the combustion chamber. that eliminates those multi-electrode plugs. without a stable spark, you can't get a stable burn pattern. the platinum plugs usually have small electrodes, and lend themselves better to tuners. they are spendy at $8/ea. compared to $1.50. in any motor, you will get better performance from indexing the plugs than anything else, assuming you have correct heat range and plug reach. i would just stick with some regular AC, Champion or Autolites. the cheaper the better, the ceramics on the Autolites have held up better to higher voltage ignition coils for me. all my motors except the 406 have the $1.50 Autolites, 406 has NGK's. Brian

I would STRONGLY recommend the AC/Delco Rapidfires (actually, AC/Delco makes some of the best automotive ignition products out there regardless of price). I have used all sorts of plugs over the years (cheap to expensive), yet my experience has been that the Rapidfires seem to be just a bit smoother at idle---I don't think I am imagining this. They also seem to be especially well-wearing, and better resist deposit formations and gap erosion...this, I know, as I've seen them and compared. You can get them for less at Wal-Mart. They are also American, and I find myself really patriotic these days especially where products from certain other non-Coalition countries are involved (sorry, Germany and France, but while you are entitled to your opinion your actions/non-actions have consequences, especially where our people's lives are on the line). The Bosch plugs are trendy, but I don't think they make the 4-pronged ones for our engines (I have a feeling French plugs, if they make any, would deliberately sabotage my engine), and when I used the standard platinum ones in my old IROC Camaro several years they didn't make any difference whatsoever. I have never tried NGK (Japan is a Coalition country, so is o.k.), but, again, the really interesting NGK plugs aren't made for our engines

Support the Troops!
--Chris Kennedy

I have the Bosch +4's in my C4, and have been very happy with their performance. I haven't tried them in my "81" as of yet.

garycr14 said:
I have the Bosch +4's in my C4, and have been very happy with their performance. I haven't tried them in my "81" as of yet.

I think you may find that the Bosch +4 is not made for the C3 small block engines.

--Chris Kennedy

gonna get the rapid fires for it...thanksfor the input guys.
Chris Kennedy said:
I think you may find that the Bosch +4 is not made for the C3 small block engines.

--Chris Kennedy

Larry82 said:
Why would you run anything but Iridiums spark plugs?
I think I am going to try them next, which brand do you use, NGK? Where have you found the best price?

garycr14 said:
I think I am going to try them next, which brand do you use, NGK? Where have you found the best price?
NGK were much cheaper than Denso. Found them at O'Reilly at essentially the best internet price I could find. Noticed an immediate improvement in idle quality and running quality.

Regarding hype - doubt it. That reply is just a typical troll snipe.

Larry82 said:
Regarding hype - doubt it. That reply is just a typical troll snipe.
Sorry, that was no 'troll snipe'. Please share your research with us (your own, not advertising crap from the manufacturer) that indicates that this particular spark plug is superior to every other type both in the short and long term in this application. If all you've done is put a set in your own car and found the idle and running is 'better' than with the old set, that's hardly an objective approach. It's also not enough evidence to suggest that any other choice is inferior, or to question other people's intended actions.

I see similar claims from people that swap oil types and two weeks later proclaim that the new one is 'better' because nothing bad happened. Yet.

Tell you what, I won't call you 'Bubba' if you don't call me 'Troll' :L:beer

It figures...

he did get the "sniper" part right...any Canadian kid growin up on the frozen ponds ,longed to be a good sniper....and drivin a yellow '73....not bad at all!:beer
PS..i gotta ask...where in the heck did you find palm trees for your avitar pic, up there???
Vettehead Mikey said:
Sorry, that was no 'troll snipe'. Please share your research with us (your own, not advertising crap from the manufacturer) that indicates that this particular spark plug is superior to every other type both in the short and long term in this application. If all you've done is put a set in your own car and found the idle and running is 'better' than with the old set, that's hardly an objective approach. It's also not enough evidence to suggest that any other choice is inferior, or to question other people's intended actions.

I see similar claims from people that swap oil types and two weeks later proclaim that the new one is 'better' because nothing bad happened. Yet.

Tell you what, I won't call you 'Bubba' if you don't call me 'Troll' :L:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom