Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally a New Floor for the Vette

R

Rich80

5 years of this dirt floor and on Wednesday a 5 inch floor is going to get poured! Pics to follow!

one question

Hello Rich 80, must be looking forward to having a decent floor after 5 years , hope you dont mind me mentioning , make sure you lay down first ,a polythene moisture barrier before pooring the concrete, your vette will stay alot dryer, believe me, moisture and condensation seeps through the concrete if you dont regards wayne.

...believe me, moisture and condensation seeps through the concrete if you dont
Yep, 100% Especially in March/April when occasionally it gets warmer outside than the concrete temp. It sweats like crazy and is cold too! Most people don't realize how cold, hard, moisture-laden concrete can be on body when you have to work on it for hours on end. And all that moisture ain't great for the car either.

Have you considered making your garage climate-controlled? I see that it's cinderblock walls and wooden roof. Unless yours is different, you know that makes for oven-like temps in the summer and freezer-temps in the winter!

Yes yes. Moisture barrier, mesh, and an expansion joint. Paint the walls, new windows, and then start insulating. Maybe mount a little propane unit on the wall....It would be nice to keep it 55 in the winter....

Maybe mount a little propane unit on the wall....It would be nice to keep it 55 in the winter....
Be sure to look into that. I know there's been discussions in the Garage Depot forum about various heaters and how some of them leave particulates in the air. Is natural gas an option for you? Also, since you are having concrete poured, have you considered having a drain of some type put in? It's nice to a have little drain in the middle of floor so you can hose down spills and whatnot... :)

The drain is all set up. I bet I am a good year from heat so I will read all i can about it. Thanks for the info....

We are now empty and waiting for concrete tomorrow

Nice work... I poured my own shop floor.
So nice to be off the dirt.

I put in-floor heating pipes... hope to hook them up before winter.
Congrats!
2650647_10_full.jpg

8 1/2 Yards. Cant pull a car in for 27 days according to the concrete mason. Hes gonna saw cut it tomorrow and then seal it.

8 1/2 Yards. Cant pull a car in for 27 days according to the concrete mason. Hes gonna saw cut it tomorrow and then seal it.
Ahhh...that's purrrrrdy! You gonna throw down any protective coating on it? Like that stuff Home Depot sells with the little color flecks in it?

Hes gonna saw cut it in the middletomorrow in case it ever cracks thats where it will happen. Two coats of sealer.

The cure time for concrete is 28 days. You will get about 60% of it's full strength at about 7 days. Being that it is under cover, the cure should be good because the sun won't be pulling the water out of the concrete. The cure should be slow and natural for the water to dry out. If the water is evaporated out too quickly, then you will experience stress cracks. The sealer helps the cure process by allowing less water to evap out. That's why it is important to wet the ground before the pour so the earth doesn't suck the water out of the mix as the slab settles and dries. Also one of the reasons you lay plastic down before pouring. Moisture moves both ways though concrete. Looks good. I would let the slab cure fully before applying any other coatings. Be selective on what you put down though. I have used the off the shelf two part epoxies from Lowes and Home Depot. They are pretty good, but the major problem is they don't hold up to hot tire damage. If you are really concerned with protection from hot tires (if you pull the car in directly after driving, you will have hot tires), then look for a higher grade coating that advertises hot tire protection. You can always use some sort of removable mat to park on and go with the standard coating though.

I did the same thing using what Lowes or Home Depot had to offer and Hot Tires pulled the paint right up. Dissappointing.

Doors are on.... Some painting and capping outside, then redoing the windows. I love it!!!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom