Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Finally Bought A "ZR1"

53 Blue Flame

Well, I finally made the deal on the ZR1 of my dreams. My good friend, Tyler, put me in touch with Geoff and said some kind words on my behalf.

I am purchasing Geoff Jeal's 1988 Prototype EX5023 car. I've watched this car for a couple of years. After speaking with Geoff, we both felt that this special car needed to be built and preserved for all to see and appreciate. And since I have the means and ability to do so, a deal was struck.

Being a fan of history in general, I feel very privledged that Geoff chose me to sell the car to. Geoff will be involved in the restoration of the car as much as he wishes.

I just ask, from a monetary aspect, not to ask me the selling price of the car. I felt it was fair and gladly paid the price. Thanks

My plans are to rebuild the car to it's original condition and preserve all of the P8Y numbers and codes as original. This will be alot like restoring a 53 back to it's original configuration for me.

What a great day!!
Thanks again to Geoff!!

Brett

Brett, once again you find yourself "back at the beginning". Good luck with your newest project and keep us supplied with posts and pictures. Have fun, because I'm sure that the finished project will be worth it.
Andy

Great! What's the condition of the vehicle? And does Geoff live nearby now?

The car was one of the UK graveyard cars. It's apart and I will restore it.

While your plans are most likely not to run the *&$! out of it, thanks for bringing another one back to life. It needs to "BE".

While your plans are most likely not to run the *&$! out of it, thanks for bringing another one back to life. It needs to "BE".

My plans are to buy another ZR1 that I can drive as it was intended, as a daily driver.

Brett,

Congrats. That's a pretty unique ZR-1 you've acquired.

Thanks
53's to ZR1's. Kind of odd but I've wanted a ZR1 for many years. Having an EX/prototype is just icing on the cake.:w I still have one 53 left, anyway.

Is this car already in the States or it still in the U.K.?

Geoff brought it with him when he relocated to MI.

Zr-1 daily driver

My 1991 is one of the 92 Turquoise cars built, ser. no. 334. This car has 240,000 miles on it. It has had things like the water pump and alternator replaced, along with u-joints, and everything that spins, but the engine has performed flawlessly. It has stainless headers and a Borla stainless exhaust. I acquired the 1989 ZR-1 wheels from Ser. no. 3 or 55, I'm not sure. They are dated 2/1/88. I prefer them over the 91 wheels. I painted inside the slots the Turquoise color,. and polished the face of the wheels. They look great on the car. This may be the highest mileage ZR-1's in existence.

That sounds like very sound ZR1! Bullet proof.:thumb

The Build Begins!!!!!!!!!!!!

The car is at the shop having the A and B pillars replaced and the body panels installed. When it comes home, sometime in January, it will be a complete wide body. The rear end is about complete.

2z9a983.jpg

Is this a DR-1?

Is this one which was 'destroyed' as law required? Is the nature of the 'destruction' known by anyone outside of GM?

Is this a DR-1?

Is this one which was 'destroyed' as law required? Is the nature of the 'destruction' known by anyone outside of GM?

This is not a DR1. This is an 88 prototype used by Lotus to certify the LT5. It was pulled from the UK Graveyard.

Wow

I think this is awsome. Has anyone else completed the re-construction of one of these prototypes?

I hope you will continue to post pictures as your project progresses. We would all be able to share in it. Are you going to be able to get one of the original digital dashes with the 7k redline in it?

Cross

There have been a couple of 1989 pre-production cars rebuilt from the UK Graveyard. This will be the only 88 prototype that was destroyed at the UK Graveyard. This was the only 88 there. I do have the original flat dash 8K tach lens, as well as a new 8k lens.

I have a full Thread on the ZR1 Net Registry forum. I will post more pics here though.

Here are some pics of the progress so far. It should be complete from front to rear by the end of January.
dw30he.jpg

mh7mzr.jpg

qr0zup.jpg

2evw1gw.jpg

Here are some progress pics. The main Thread is on the ZR1 Net Registry Forum. The car was one of the UK Graveyard cars and the only 88 that was destroyed there. I bought the car from Geoff Jeal and I am restoring it at the moment. I will have it at the C4 Gathering in Bowling Green, May 2011.
Here is the DANA tag on the engine cradle. Note that the car is called King Of The Hill on the tag. The term "ZR1" had not been established at the point of when the car was built, July 1987.
wslcvc.jpg

Went through all of the boxes of parts that Geoff kept when he dis-assembled the car. Some nice surprises! A nice set of 88 dated wheels plus two extra 89 ZR1 wheels.

2ue4egx.jpg

2pqth0j.jpg

28aqnpz.jpg

Console tray insert with KOH (King of the Hill) written on it
juk8bk.jpg

2lntm6t.jpg

Prototype tank (Like Tyler's EX5014) dated 7-8-87
29ekayr.jpg

j7umuo.jpg

Speedo/tach bezel with hand cut rectangular hole on the far left corner facing from the front.
2ltj31u.jpg
\
This roughly cut hole was for some wiring during a project, according to Geoff.
2r5timo.jpg

This original plate will go back onto the car when finished.
ok0psp.jpg

What were the odds of coming across an NOS ZR1 rear upper surround panel and luggage tub???
1059x4z.jpg

At the frame shop. Work begins tomorrow. When it comes home, it will be a Z again from front to rear.
fyd10j.jpg

2cqg26t.jpg

Here we go!!! Oh...and I have another bare frame to sell as well as one that has NOS doors and upper surround panel attached for a NON ZR1 width.
dw30he.jpg

mh7mzr.jpg

2evw1gw.jpg

The work began on the windshield frame today.
qr0zup.jpg

Took a break long enough to work on my 17x11 rear ZR1 wheels this morning. They cleaned up pretty well. I mounted the gatorbacks that were donated to me for the rebuild. They still have decent tread left. They will look good for display purposes only. You wouldn't want to drive on them at high speed or anything. They have 1990 dates on them.
2z686r6.jpg

Looking like a Corvette again!!!

34snl37.jpg

33u73op.jpg

2hclpo3.jpg

Thanks for posting the pictures! Nice to see the King getting restored!!

-Mac

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom