Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

finally found my engine block identifier stamp

egates

I kept reading from various sources 'on the stamp pad on the right side of the engine just ahead of the cylinder head' and I looked and looked and looked and did not see anything - found a head stamping that had something like PPO and 75 but that was on the head. Finally, I took some cleaner and sprayed one of the only flat areas I could find and, behold! numbers! And they match the car! Its a 78 L48 Auto - nothing special but mostly original and mine. At some point it went from Light Beige/Dark Brown to Black on Black (poorly)
vette2.jpg

Congrat egates, You're finding out what you got and it looks like a pretty good starting point. Open the drivers door, should be a tag telling you the (original) body color and interior color.

Congratulations, when I bought my 79, it had been in a shed in New Jersey for 14 years. Once I got it home and did a complete frame-on restoration I found that the only part that wasn't original was the alternator. And after a trip to Contemporary Corvette in Bristol, PA I found a perfect numbers matching original. I took it to a shop in Philadelphia and they did a rebuild of it and I went on to win a NCRS second flight award. I finally had a complete numbers matching Corvette. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom