Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Fire Extinguisher in the car?

• Thread starter Thread starter Sams '66
  • Start date Start date
S

Sams '66

What size/type is correct? ......and where can I get one?

thanks!

Sam:drink ;shrug

You can get a plain old ABC rated just about anywhere - I've seen them at places like home depot, target, etc... I got one with a velcro mounting strap from Grainger for about $15.

I've been warned that if I ever have to use it, the dry chem will kill the finish on whatever it touches. Halon is highly recommended but is many times more expensive. Eventually I will replace my dry chem with a halon but for the time being it makes me feel better to have something.

I keep it in the storage well in my '65 behind the passenger seat. I've seen some fancy holders that mount right in front of the passenger seat - no drilling.
brian

Equally as important as a fire extinguisher, I believe, is some manner or method of quickly disconnecting the battery from the system in the event of an electrical short. In older vehicles should a short develop, I've seen people discharge a small fire extinguisher extinguishing an electrical fire only to have it re-ignite and continue to burn because the battery was still supplying power to the wiring system.

You can go fancy with an aftermarket battery disconnect switch, or as I prefer, just a good set of small bolt cutters or similar cutter that will quickly cut thru the battery cable. You sure don't want to worry about trying to disconnect the battery terminal with a wrench in the event of a fire. Failing all else in the event of an electrical short, a hole knocked thru the side of the battery near the bottom will drain the acid and cause it to lose it's power. Better to buy a new battery than a new car!

I don't mean to understate the value of a fire extinguisher in the vehicle, it's just that I believe that unless you have a method of quickly killing power to the vehicle, you're only half prepared!

My thoughts.

rlm:cool

Sam, The most common universal (ABC) extinguishers are Dry chem, Halotron & Halon. The advantages of dry chemical extinguishers are they are inexpensive and work very well but they leave a nasty residue after putting a fire out. Halotron extinguishers are a bit more expensive. They do not leave any residue and Halotron is the replacement for Halon. Halon extinguisher are still available and are by far the best, but they are expensive. Amerex Fire extinguishers are one of the best in the world. They are the industrial standard and are constructed of all metal parts, no plastic. They all come with a gauge as well. You will spend more for them, but they will last you years and will work when you need it most. Vetteworks manufactures custom extinguisher brackets for '64 thru ' 04' Corvettes. Very high quality.
I hope this helped.
Dan
www.vetteworksonline.com
66extinghalo2.gif

I agree with the comments on Halon extinguishers. Here is a link to one source: http://www.h3r.com/products/home_vehicle.htm

I'd suggest the 2.5lb size. The bracket setup from Vetteworks looks like a nice way to mount it in an handy location.

I also use the battery disconnect switch which you can find at most Vette mail order sources.

Rich Lagasse

I believe it was a dealer installed option..... and was behind the passenger seat on the coupe (I have a pic somewhere) I don’t know where it was mounted on the Vert?

Fire extinguishers and a dead man switch are musts for cars like ours. We have too much time, effort and $$$ in them not too. MY '63 almost burned when I wrecked. A cleaning towel made it's way up under the dash and was in contact with some wires that were broken. I noticed just a faint, wispy smoke coming from the dash. Reached in and killed the juice. When I found the towel, a good portion of it was burned.

Also saw a minivan go up one time. A small amount of smoke from the engine and no more than 30 seconds later the vehicle was, I believe the correct term is, fully involved. I doubt the hubcaps were even salvageable on that one. It pays to be careful. Classic

I have Amerex Halotrons in each of my classics, and two within easy reach of my work area in the garage; the corrosive residue from a dry chemical extinguisher can do far more damage when used on a small fire (like a carb fire) than the price difference between a dry chemical and a Halotron extinguisher; eighty or ninety bucks won't buy many rare parts surrounding the immediate area of a small fire.
:beer

Hey John....where do you get that Halotron??
Checked Home Depot today.....all dry chem...

Sam

JonM said:
It’s also been my experience that when you store the fire extinguisher for use on its side, it will only last about a year. Then you need to have it recharged or buy a new.

According to Amerex the mounting position of their fire extinguisher has no bearing on its shelf life. Many of the cheaper brands will only last for a couple years no matter what position they are stored. Many times the only place to mount a fire extinguisher in Aircraft, boats, or automobiles is in a horizontal position due to space limitations.
Dan

vettedan said:
According to Amerex the mounting position of their fire extinguisher has no bearing on its shelf life. Many of the cheaper brands will only last for a couple years no matter what position they are stored. Many times the only place to mount a fire extinguisher in Aircraft, boats, or automobiles is in a horizontal position due to space limitations.
Dan

;shrug Mine never last over a year. Makes me wonder if I ever need it, if it will be ready. :Steer

Got a battery cutoff and the Halotron.....now I need to fix my turn signal.....

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom