Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

First time Corvette owner at 65 y/o

C

C3/C4 KID

Hi my name is Russ and I'm a new Corvette owner! !! Im from northeast Philadelphia. My son and I were looking at vette's for over a year, I'm happy that I found one. I picked up a 81 Corvette over the weekend and it is great! !!
That is my sons Corvette in the background in the garage . I will post more pictures soon.
2012-10-06_07-49-24_952.jpg

Russ

Very nice car.....glad you got it....welcome to the party also, we will be looking forward to seeing more pics.....

I've always liked that body style. Congrats on the purchase!! :w

Welcome to CAC. You'll find there are lots of helpful folks here. We'd love to see more pictures of both your and your sons' Corvettes. :w

Welcome to the CAC! You will find lots of nice folks here. We are all ready to help in any way we can!

What color is the exterior?

While driving your Vette, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

It is maroon red my son looked it up and they made 1,600 of them in 81

It is maroon red my son looked it up and they made 1,600 of them in 81

The Maroon Metallic color is beautiful!

Yours will always stand out in a crowd!

Welcome to the :CAC

You're never too old to get your first Corvette! :cool!:

I've got a feeling you're going to like this place on which resides some of the nicest, most knowledgeable Corvette people on the planet! :thumb They'll steer you right!

Here's a few links you may find useful as you take a look around and learn more about your new toy:

1968 - 1982 Corvettes

L81 Vette Registry Forum <-- don't forget to register your 81 - lots of good resources there!

Corvette Action Center | Tech Center

Corvette Action Center | Model Center | C3 | 1981 Corvette Center

Enjoy the forums and your new C3!
:wJane Ann

Hi Russ and welcome to the CAC Forum. :w

Nice car Russ! I got my 81 about 6 months ago & I love it. Welcome to the club.

Older than you!

Age has nothing to do with whether you own a musclecar or not....I dont' think you're ever too old...it's what's in your heart. Mine happens to be full of bow ties. I'm older than you but my C6 is my fifth Vette...76, 82, 84, 02 and now this wonderful 06. Congrats on your car.IMG_6939.jpg

Welcome! Nice choice for a first Corvette.

Elaine

P.S. I'm older than you and am now driving my "new" 606HP Callaway!! Moral: Never too old for a Corvette!! :happyanim:

Age is just a number and Corvette's will keep you young at heart. Good luck to you Russ, Enjoy.

Hey Russ I wanna personally welcome another member in his sixth decade. Here's to ya and your new ride. It's a great activity to enjoy with your son. :beer

BTW you have chosen a great forum. Enjoy your new vette :Steer
Rick

Welcome to CAC!!!
enjoy!!!!!

Me too!

I'm in the same boat. Finally, at the age of 64 I purchased my first Corvette. I came close back in '68 but couldn't work out a suitable deal and ended up with a Chevelle SS, that just happened to be traded in on a '69 Corvette by a close friend. He still has his '69.

I have had my 1998, coupe, about 2 weeks and I am enjoying driving it the last few nice days of weather here in Central Illinois before storing it for the winter months.

While I was looking for a C5 and, preferrably, a 2004, couldn't turn this 1998 down. One owner with only 6K miles on it and, according to the owner, rarely has it been in the rain. It is in excellent condition in and out.

It also helped I happen to know the owner and went to school with his wife.

Any and all advice, information anyone here can provide regarding care, maintenance, driving, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

I do have one question. Any recommendations for storing the glass top for the winter? Is it OK to store it in the car? While I am storing the car, at an indoor facility, it is not a climate controlled facility. Does that mean the glass top should be kept at home in a temperature controlled environment?

And, while I'm at it. Is it preferable to disconnect the negative cable on the battery or should a trickle charge be the way to go?

In advance, thanks, for your help.

I'm in the same boat. Finally, at the age of 64 I purchased my first Corvette. I came close back in '68 but couldn't work out a suitable deal and ended up with a Chevelle SS, that just happened to be traded in on a '69 Corvette by a close friend. He still has his '69.

I have had my 1998, coupe, about 2 weeks and I am enjoying driving it the last few nice days of weather here in Central Illinois before storing it for the winter months.

While I was looking for a C5 and, preferrably, a 2004, couldn't turn this 1998 down. One owner with only 6K miles on it and, according to the owner, rarely has it been in the rain. It is in excellent condition in and out.

It also helped I happen to know the owner and went to school with his wife.

Any and all advice, information anyone here can provide regarding care, maintenance, driving, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

I do have one question. Any recommendations for storing the glass top for the winter? Is it OK to store it in the car? While I am storing the car, at an indoor facility, it is not a climate controlled facility. Does that mean the glass top should be kept at home in a temperature controlled environment?

And, while I'm at it. Is it preferable to disconnect the negative cable on the battery or should a trickle charge be the way to go?

In advance, thanks, for your help.

As far as the battery goes, GM recommends disconnecting it for long periods of storage. I put a float charger on both of mine for the winter. If you disconnect the battery, and don't keep it warm with a float charger, the battery needs to be removed and kept where it won't freeze.
I don't see any reason not to leave the glass top stored with the car.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom